Maynard cleared by tribunal for Brayshaw collision

What should happen with Maynard?

• 1-2 match suspension for careless, med-high impact, high contact

Votes: 247 27.9%
  • 3-4 match suspension for intentional, med-high impact, high contact

Votes: 203 23.0%
  • 5+ match suspension, intentional or careless with severe impact, straight to tribunal

Votes: 68 7.7%
  • Charges downgraded to a fine

Votes: 52 5.9%
  • No charge/no penalty

Votes: 314 35.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

THE AFL has opted against appealing the Tribunal's decision in the Brayden Maynard case, meaning the Collingwood defender is in the clear to play in the Magpies' preliminary final.

The AFL, having brought the charge against Maynard, said on Wednesday that it would not challenge the Tribunal's ruling, but would comment further later in the day.

"The AFL has confirmed that after careful consideration and review of the Tribunal's decision and reasons following last night's hearing into the incident involving Collingwood's Brayden Maynard and Melbourne's Angus Brayshaw, the AFL has decided not to appeal the Tribunal's decision," a statement read.

"Per the Tribunal Guidelines the AFL had to make this decision by 12:00pm AEST today.

"The AFL will release a further statement later today."
Finally some sanity 👍

No one would be attempting to stop a goal with a smother in an intra club match with that intensity. It's never even happened in a h&a game like that before.

What pepper to what bump? When he had to land? Was he meant to land spread eagled? They are trained to brace on impact. Hip & shoulder to hip & shoulder is a legal bump.

And for the record, Murphy hasn't been doing match sim since being tackled & his head hit the ground during training.
the Maynard smother had no intensity about it at all what are you talking about. Just a routine running at the kicker and jump in the air with his arms up.

No need to - she knows the Tribunal reached the right result. You seem to require further training. Once again, why not give it a try using the Tribunal terms?
you realise that the wider football public disagree with the tribunal hence this thread is still going. I think the reason that pies fans feel so triggered is that it takes the shine off their flag knowing that they wouldn't have won it without the tribunals result. Very similar to Cripps' brownlow win.

the Maynard smother had no intensity about it at all what are you talking about. Just a routine running at the kicker and jump in the air with his arms up.
Okay Dan.

I just don't think a defender would bother trying to smother the ball going for goal like Bruz did during an intra match. That was the point.

It looked pretty intense to me.

I think you lot are playing tomorrow night.. perhaps it's now time to move on, hey?

ooh, that was a real gotcha. To answer your rather basic question, yes, that very unlikely collision could have just as easily happened in a practice match. Have you read the tribunal findings? You know, the ones that weren't appealed by the AFL?

"we accept the evidence of Professor Cole that he did not believe that Maynard’s body position at the time of impact can be considered part of any conscious decision"

You are a Melbourne supporter. Maybe your parents hoped you would grow up and be a lawyer some day. Make them proud, read the findings and try some critical thinking.

you realise that the wider football public disagree with the tribunal hence this thread is still going. I think the reason that pies fans feel so triggered is that it takes the shine off their flag knowing that they wouldn't have won it without the tribunals result. Very similar to Cripps' brownlow win.
I just like re-living the moment and beating up on sad sacks who can't accept reality. Tell me again why the AFL decided not to appeal? Were the wider football public upset that there was no appeal?

Triggered? We won the flag. And we saw it in person.

Dee fans just 'expect'. They simply can't accept.
You almost feel sorry for them and their inability to accept the umpire (or in this case the Tribunal) decision and move on. Almost 6 months is an awfully long time to hold a grudge. It can't be good for your health to still be getting that riled up about something that far in the past.

The act of smothering did not collect Brayshaw's head. This is what collected Brayshaw's head, and it ain't a smother. It may have started out as a smother, but it didn't finish that way.

View attachment 1920860

As I've pointed out before, it started out as a smother and ended up something very ugly indeed. The umpires viewed it as an act outside the laws of the game, because they paid a free kick downfield.

I've never seen a smother end up that way. Why Maynard executed it as he did is something only he will know. To me the logical way to execute a smother (once the smothering action is over) is to try to avoid the player - not raise your arms and crash into his head.

Good luck to Maynard for getting away with it. He got to play in a flag as a result. Pity about Brayshaw.

The funny thing about Collingwood supporters is that they are suddenly pretending that the Tribunal is somehow sacrosanct - as if it doesn't, and never has made mistakes. Of course, it has. And many think it got this wrong too. Of course, Pies' fans current view of the Tribunal will remain the case until the next case goes AGAINST a Pies player. :)

The fact is that the rules weren't cut and dried, evidenced by the fact that they have had to be changed, and there was a considerable amount of speculation at the time as to which way the Tribunal ruling would go. And it could have gone either way due to it being such a grey area - but the Tribunal ruled in Maynard's favour. Interpretation doesn't necessarily make for correctness.

The sudden Pies fans love of the Tribunal, and defence of its ruling, is solely down to the fact that their player got off the charge. :)As I've pointed out before, I can just imagine their response if the situation had been reversed. They would have been baying for blood.

Subjectivity doesn't make for compelling arguments.
So in short, conspiracy from the AFL is your theory.

I forgot that line from Goody - what was it again, they should have won on an expected result? Something like that.

And then next week they cough up a goal at the 32 minute mark to choke to the Baggers.
Is that like England's "moral" Ashes victory?

Umm no, it's opposition fans who can't come to grips with the judgement and claim conspiracy, or triggered.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

yet changed the rules altogether as soon as possible. clearly a disgusting decision. really disadvantaged the dees on the night too.
The decision was made in light of the rules at the time. Clearly a correct decision.

Changed the rules altogether? not quite.

We lost a player to concussion in the GF remember? It happens.

I've never seen a smother end up that way. Why Maynard executed it as he did is something only he will know. To me the logical way to execute a smother (once the smothering action is over) is to try to avoid the player
You're not helping your argument.

Have you thought about not having seen a smother end that way before and how it relates to an expectation of Maynard foreseeing the outcome when he made the decision to jump? Once he'd jumped to execute a smother and Brayshaw had moved to where he did, how exactly was he going to try to avoid the player?

You're not helping your argument.

Have you thought about not having seen a smother end that way before and how it relates to an expectation of Maynard foreseeing the outcome when he made the decision to jump? Once he'd jumped to execute a smother and Brayshaw had moved to where he did, how exactly was he going to try to avoid the player?
lol 'moved the way he did'. you're just regurgitating the same bulldust that the pies legal team used. have your own opinion. you're making it sound like brayshaw moved 5m. lol

So Brayshaw had the time to move a significant distance in a nanosecond yet Maynard couldn't do anything like put his arms out to avoid bumping? massive double standards. Brayshaw didn't move anyway. it's just an agenda pies fans like to pretend happened.

glossed over the 'we won all our finals games'. If you delve into it. You got spanked by the dees midfield with a player down and without their best forward and relied on their inaccuracy to scrape over the line. Then you followed that up with beating an interstate team at the mcg in front of 90k pies fans with the help of some very fortunate umpiring decisions and you beat Brisbane at the G with also some favourable umpiring but realistically both Carlton and the Dees would've eaten Brisbane at the G.
You speak Goodwin lingo.

You expect something simply because of something else, not because of the reality.

All means shite when the final siren goes, Danster.

So we only won the GF because Dee's can't kick goals, we've got more fans than anyone else & Lions chose to take the advantage?

Delusional much?

Sounds like you're all on the gear.

Thank you for further proving it's not about fairness, or what's correct for you at all. And it never has been.

It's a pathological obsession with Coooooooollllingwood Coooooooollllingwood Coooooooollllingwood
the correct decision was made

The thug could have redeemed himself shortly after but he coughed up possession to WC
Then he took a kick-out and hit up a WC player

3 critical errors in the last 2 minutes

the correct decision was made

The thug could have redeemed himself shortly after but he coughed up possession to WC
Then he took a kick-out and hit up a WC player

3 critical errors in the last 2 minutes
I believe the umpire involved has said the opposite to you, actually. He has admitted he made an error.

Back