McGovern Starting Fwd or Back?

Where would you like McLovin' played?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

What the ****? We can rely on Jetta and Redden in big games? Get lost.

Rosa was good today. Should have started.
Hey but how bad was Masten turned the ball over again and again we need some more class in the middle not sure who we can get

Stopped reading at trade out Darling. I mean really, come on mate. Have you seen him play this year

Yep Jetta really preformed in his last big game. 7 of the best touches I've ever seen...
Well a change of scenery may help but we need something in the middle. But no trading Darling that is terrible idea. I just said hes a good third forward and not a key forward. Saying that we had 18 passengers out there today so

FORWARD ffs

He's a forward.

He's not as good as Mackenzie, but he's a hell of a lot better than Darling.

Darling needs a rocket and needs to change his game. Compare him to Gunston - that's the role he should be playing - an agile, flexible 3rd tall. Darling is currently playing like a tiny Quinten Lynch, his ground level game is non existent but he's getting smashed in one-on-one marking contests by guys who are midfielder height.

Gov forward, Darling to stop pretending to be a CHF, lose some bulk, and work on your agility.
Agreed, what shits me with Darling is when he wrestles he is not a bulking key forward he needs to use this height, pace and agility e.g Gunston

He will be a tall utility player.
Get his brother-Mitch from Adelaide to the Eagles as well; playing together will strengthen our ability to win a few premierships next 5 years.

Back, pushing forward when the circumstances call for it.

Kennedy, Darling, McGovern and Sinclair/Lycett/Naitanui is too tall. I don't think Darling can really play as some roaming forward because he's not good enough at ground level. If you don't kick him the ball he becomes anonymous and if the ball is on the deck his wooden back and lack of agility makes him a liability.
I'd also have concerns about what such a tall forward line would do to our run and defensive pressure.
I think you have to drop Darling to play McGovern up forward full time, and that's a waste of a talented player.

On the other side of it, I think that McGovern has more value for us as a defender. He's by far our best third tall defensive option, a position where he's able to command space and make the jobs of his teammates easier. Up forward I don't think he'll be able to exert the same amount of influence because he'll be competing for space and attention with other forwards.
He would have won AA honours there if he hadn't been injured, and I think it's risky to put all of our eggs in a Mackenzie/Brown shaped basket when they're coming off ACL injuries. I'm also concerned about whether McGovern has the fitness to play CHF, or the goalkicking nous to play deeper.

We didn't lose on Saturday because we're lacking marking power up forward - we lost because our midfield was pantsed and we didn't take our chances inside 50. Darling isn't perfect by any means, but I don't think his limitations as a marking player warrant moving an AA calibre defender forward.

TL;DR: Moving McGovern forward hurts our backline significantly, and I'm not sure it really improves our forward line all that much.

Easily forward with Emac and Brown back

TL;DR: Moving McGovern forward hurts our backline significantly, and I'm not sure it really improves our forward line all that much.

He is a natural key forward with massive goal scoring potential. Emac is a general down back and can lock down an entire forward line.

He is a natural key forward with massive goal scoring potential. Emac is a general down back and can lock down an entire forward line.

Few players I've seen read the flight of the ball as well as McLovin.

Love him in the fwd line.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

McGovern to play forward if we are no chance to add McCarthy.

Please keep ruckmen out of the forward line Simmo otherwise.

I don't dispute that he could be a good key forward, but he's pretty natural as a backman. To date he's shown a lot more down back, but people seem to be flippantly deciding to move an AA calibre defender forward based on what, a couple of junk time goals in a Grand Final?

Emac is a completely different player. Mackenzie beats quality opponents but doesn't have the same ability to exert influence over the entire defence because his strength isn't intercept play or, to borrow a term from basketball, "help defence". He can lock down a man very well, but not a forward line.

McGovern was our best and most important defender before he was injured. EMac isn't a like for like swap, and he's coming off an ACL tear.

Would like to hear how we'd play four talls in our forward line too.

Last edited:
I don't dispute that he could be a good key forward, but he's pretty natural as a backman. To date he's shown a lot more down back, but people seem to be flippantly deciding to move an AA calibre defender forward based on what, a couple of junk time goals in a Grand Final?

Emac is a completely different player. Mackenzie beats quality opponents but doesn't have the same ability to exert influence over the entire defence because his strength isn't intercept play or, to borrow a term from basketball, "help defence". He can lock down a man very well, but not a forward line.

McGovern was our best and most important defender before he was injured. EMac isn't a like for like swap, and he's coming off an ACL tear.

Would like to hear how we'd play four talls in our forward line too.
Is the sub rule still in for next season?

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

McGovern is a better contested mark and a better set shot than Kennedy and Darling. Doesn't stab at it like Darling and doesn't have Kennedy's wedge/ hook style.

Ultimately if we play two KPD's and then Darling/ Kennedy we'll have the flexibility to move McGovern between the two positions depending on need. Darling can with a full preseason trim down and build up his tank which is what he's really been lacking.

McGovern with a big off season and preseason could well develop the tank to play a lot of time as KPF and really pose a potential headache for defenses around the league. Kennedy and McGovern require A grade defenders. Darling getting back to full fitness will be pushing high up the ground and running back hard into those open spaces. Plus we'll be able to push a resting ruckmen down there at different stages, as we'll want to save using one on the bench the whole time.

You won't be able to keep all three on the leash at any one time if the delivery is good enough. If McGovern towels up a defender then he could liberate Kennedy and allow him to get off his leash, and if it's grounded and we're getting beaten through the middle we can put McGovern behind the ball to provide us with intercept marking and drive off the half back line with his accurate kicking.

Last edited:
Back