Media alert

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Crisp wouldnt' be a bad option. I'm not sure we will use Robbo. He usually plays defensive roles, and i don't think that will help in an undermanned midfield group. Crisp has a bit more experience to him, and it would be good to see him get a game this year, give him a crack.

If Aish is as good as people reckon, why wouldn't the club throw a fat three or four year contract at him. Could be the difference between us going somewhere and nowhere.

If Aish is as good as people reckon, why wouldn't the club throw a fat three or four year contract at him. Could be the difference between us going somewhere and nowhere.
we probably already have. adelaide and port are probably in his ear aswell though, thats the problem

Yeah but I guess the flip side is "why wouldn't Adelaide and Port do the same thing"?

Salary cap management was one of the reasons we got ourselves into this deep hole we are currently in, I hope his contract offer isn't a ridiculous sum of money that isn't warranted. Successful club culture doesn't grow from overpaid spoilt 20 year olds.

But how does Aish get to Adelaide or Port?

I can't imagine we're going to finish higher than either of them, so unless he's that keen that he's prepared to re-enter the draft and hope no one else picks him up and we chicken out, how does he expect to accept any offer they make?

I know the argument about whether to trade and get them something or refuse to deal and get nothing is well played out, but I still think this is the upshot of letting five players go at the end of last season without much fight. If this does become a game of chicken we look vulnerable.

This is just flat out ridiculous though. Why should we have to fork out stupid money to keep a guy who is, at the end of the day, just another draftee? Maybe he's a greater flight risk than some others, but only some clubs just have to suck it up and accept that most of the guys we're looking at drafting would rather be in a different city.

Would this explain Leigh's comments of a month or so back? Trying to nip that thought in the bud and making it clear we would re-draft him?

That could be over-attributing strategic foresight to Leigh, but he would surely be in the loop about how the kids are travelling and the comments did sort of come out of nowhere. Especially since it sounds like we've opened negotiations with at least a couple of them.

Would this explain Leigh's comments of a month or so back? Trying to nip that thought in the bud and making it clear we would re-draft him?

That could be over-attributing strategic foresight to Leigh, but he would surely be in the loop about how the kids are travelling and the comments did sort of come out of nowhere. Especially since it sounds like we've opened negotiations with at least a couple of them.

It may do. I'm a bit dubious that Leigh is all that much of a strategic thinker any more, and even more dubious that he's a strategic talker.

But as others have pointed out, he has form.

The annoying part of all this could be the simple fact of Aish's manager leaking this s**t out to put the club in a panic to resign for $$$.

Footy is a mess of a sport.

It's bad, but as someone who grew up following the premier league, it could be a lot worse.

If he's not re-signed by about June next year, I'll start to panic. Right now I'm settling for mild unease, and the belief that you're probably right about his management fanning the flames.

This is just flat out ridiculous though. Why should we have to fork out stupid money to keep a guy who is, at the end of the day, just another draftee? Maybe he's a greater flight risk than some others, but only some clubs just have to suck it up and accept that most of the guys we're looking at drafting would rather be in a different city.

Is he hanging out for stupid money, or just trying to get through his first year without the distraction? Only the club and the Aish camp would know.

Is he hanging out for stupid money, or just trying to get through his first year without the distraction? Only the club and the Aish camp would know.

That was directed at one of the earlier posts. You're right, no one knows.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's a shocker of a poll. Could've excluded Carlton and made it last 30 - as it is it just looks really lazy. Somehow Sydney 2014 get a gig while no team from the 90s can get there?

I know they're trying to look at teams on paper a bit, but that's bizarre.

Get on line and vote http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...he-past-50-years/story-fni5f22o-1226986212374

Results about 5 mins ago after I had voted
Thank you for voting!
Geelong (2007-2011) 22.31% (1,025 votes)

Essendon (2000) 13.26% (609 votes)

Hawthorn (1988-1989) 18.28% (840 votes)

Carlton (1979-1982) 4.9% (225 votes)

Brisbane Lions (2001-2003) 36.29% (1,667 votes)

Sydney (2014) 4.96% (228 votes)
Bit lop-sided this - we were great 2001-2004 but in terms of sustained excellence in the last 50 years, Hawthorn are streets ahead. In the 80's they won four premierships and played in 7 grand finals in a row. From 1982 they played finals 13 years in a row. That is a record that will probably never be beaten.

Bit lop-sided this - we were great 2001-2004 but in terms of sustained excellence in the last 50 years, Hawthorn are streets ahead. In the 80's they won four premierships and played in 7 grand finals in a row. From 1982 they played finals 13 years in a row. That is a record that will probably never be beaten.
I was going to say the same but saw the restricted the teams to specific years. In terms of success over the last 50 years Hawthorn is lapping the field.

They talk about the preliminary final appearances as part of the dynasty for other teams, but 99 seems to be forgotten for us which was especially remarkable after the spoon in 98. We were a serious contender for 6 years, and still talked about as a top 4 threat for 4 years afterwards even though our on the field performances never really justified it after the 2004 GF.

Call me crazy but I thought our worst win loss year was 2011? With just the 4 wins? What is with the lions website saying our worst season is 5 wins and a draw? Or have a lost the plot?

Yeah, they're wrong.

2011 was impossibly horrible. If someone told me at the end of that season that our first 3 draft picks we took that year would be gone within 2 years, I probably would have given up footy on the spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back