Resource Vintage Brisbane Bears/Lions Multi-Media Mega-Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I was at that game. Long day for us Tasmanians.

And every time Queensland kicked a goal they blasted "the heat is on" over the bloody speakers at Bellerive Oval 🤦🤦
Would take that over John Denver personally

DLL

this was the Zillmere Eagles song and Wayne Brittain (ex-Zillmere) brought it to the Bears when he was assistant under Robert Walls. Since about 5 years ago it is also the Kenmore Bears club song, brought to the club by someone else with a connection to Zillmere and the Brittain family

And, this is a better version, widely shared previously:

For those who didn't know (I didn't), here is a 2018 article on one game players from Lions.com.au. I am sure there is more to the story!

"Jason Millar, from Caloundra, played Round 1 in 1991 before a famous incident in which, driving from the Gold Coast to Brisbane, he tried to outrun police only to eventually ditch the car and attempt to jump into the Brisbane river near the start of Coronation Drive only to land on a concrete walkway below."

For those who didn't know (I didn't), here is a 2018 article on one game players from Lions.com.au. I am sure there is more to the story!

"Jason Millar, from Caloundra, played Round 1 in 1991 before a famous incident in which, driving from the Gold Coast to Brisbane, he tried to outrun police only to eventually ditch the car and attempt to jump into the Brisbane river near the start of Coronation Drive only to land on a concrete walkway below."
I remember idly browsing through the Courier Mail that year and seeing Millar and a Bears teammate (I forget who) photographed in the social pages as punters enjoying a nightclub with no mention of the fact that they played for the Bears. Except it appeared they'd given some of their Bears teammates' names to be published alongside the photo rather than their own. Might have been a cheeky joke on their part but it looked a bit odd. Not sure if Wallsy was aware of that particular wheeze

Attachments

• 1sv1xl.jpg
    1sv1xl.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 32

A bit more detail from this tribute to the late Troy Clarke, a Bears stalwart:

Clarkey made his AFL debut in the Bears first game of 1991 – Round 2 v North Melbourne at Carrara. North won by 46 points in what was also the AFL debut for Bears teammates Richard Champion, David Ogg and Jason Millar.

It was an especially memorable and forgettable occasion for Caloundra boy Millar, who finished up in Royal Brisbane Hospital nursing a broken jaw, a broken wrist and a badly cut lip after what would be his first and last AFL game. And not because of any footballing mishap. The injuries were self-imposed and occurred as the powerhouse ruckman tried to escape the police. Driving from the Gold Coast to Brisbane in a car owned by the Bears and loaned to him by teammate Peter Worsfold, Millar failed to stop for a random breath test on the south-east freeway at Mt.Gravatt at about 3.15am on the Monday morning, speeding away after initially slowing his vehicle to about 40km/hr. According to the police report, he reached speeds of 160km/hr trying to out-run a pursuing police vehicle before he lost control of his car at the start of Coronation Drive and crashed into a wall. He leapt from the car and jumped over a concrete barrier to escape hotly pursing police but fell 9m onto a bikeway and had to be taken by ambulance to hospital. Millar missed the remainder of the 1991 season due to injuries incurred in the aftermath of the accident. He played 18 reserves games in ’92 but in ’93 he suffered recurring foot stress fractures that eventually ended his AFL career. He moved to Adelaide to play with Norwood but despite becoming a good SANFL player never threatened to reach the heights expected of him after his AFL debut.

Source

BTW, it should be emphasised that he stayed on the list after that incident. Even though it was a different time, there had to me a great deal of contrition there, not to mention talent.

But probably the best story from those days, even better than the tale of Troy Johnson, who got drafted the same year as Daniel Bradshaw and got sacked after cracking the shits, then robbing Adrian Fletcher of $200. Then got picked up by Freo a couple of years later, then robbed his teammates again. Allegedly.

Or the lads who sent pizzas to the coaches house late at night. Again allegedly.

Anyway, I don't want to turn this into a tales from the old days thread.

Last edited:
But probably the best story from those days, even better than the tale of Troy Johnson, who got drafted the same year as Daniel Bradshaw and got sacked after cracking the shits, then robbing Adrian Fletcher of $200. Then got picked up by Freo a couple of years later, then robbed his teammates again. Allegedly
He actually allegedly robbed Adrian Fletcher again that second time, who had also been recruited by Freo. Perhaps it was personal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He actually allegedly robbed Adrian Fletcher again that second time, who had also been recruited by Freo. Perhaps it was personal.

I’m not sure if that bit is true - could easily be embellishment for the sake of a good story. I did remember he gave his name when being arrested back in Perth as “Daniel Bradshaw”.

Actually the burglary thing was Spaanderman, wasn't it? Sorry I think I'm getting hopelessly confused, apologies all, especially TJ
Spaanderman got arrested for acting as a standover man/intimidator for someone else.

New stadium in Boondall? ......

Sh*t, what a shame ........................ in those days I could've got fully on the turps at the game and then walked home .............. (kind of ).

Sh*t, what a shame ........................ in those days I could've got fully on the turps at the game and then walked home .............. (kind of ).

I remember this talk. I was excited for the same reason - the location, not the drinking.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back