Cars & Transportation Melbourne Airport Rail Link

Remove this Banner Ad

The land was set aside for a rail line when the Tullamarine freeway was built, or possibly even prior to that. It would have been nice to get a fast train but anything is better than nothing. Don't know if I'd use it for a trip where I had a fair bit of luggage to take but if I had just one bag, why not?

Where exactly is the new line going to be? I've looked at the map and they say they are using the freight line from Albion to Jacana that is kinda parallel to the ring road, at some point it must branch off from there. Where is the land that has been set aside?

Where exactly is the new line going to be? I've looked at the map and they say they are using the freight line from Albion to Jacana that is kinda parallel to the ring road, at some point it must branch off from there. Where is the land that has been set aside?
178074-train-route.gif

Here's an Age article explaining it:

A BAILLIEU government would begin developing an airport rail link to run from Flinders Street Station to Melbourne Airport if it wins this month's election.

The link is a key element of a $1.4 billion transport plan that includes 40 new trains - seven in a first term, which might do little more than replace trains leaving the system, and 33 in a second term.

Opposition Leader Ted Baillieu said, if elected, the Coalition would begin planning work on the rail line immediately.

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/s...revives-airport-rail-link-20101114-17spg.html

Oh hang on.

It costs about $20 each way to catch the airport train in Brisbane.

(There is a legal way around that, but I think they are closing that loophole too, soon enough).

The airport link in Melbourne, if ever built, will be yet another 'public private partnership' scam which privatises profits, nationalises risk and losses, keeps multinational firms and unions happy but leaves Australia poorer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It costs about $20 each way to catch the airport train in Brisbane.

(There is a legal way around that, but I think they are closing that loophole too, soon enough).

The airport link in Melbourne, if ever built, will be yet another 'public private partnership' scam which privatises profits, nationalises risk and losses, keeps multinational firms and unions happy but leaves Australia poorer.
Metro?

most major cities around the world have rail lines to the airport. Even Athens has one and they are broke. They been talking about a railway line to the airport for years. I wouldnt believe it till they start building it

inb4 taxi drivers

dey terrrrk urrrr jerrrrrrbs

no rail to the airport is a ******* joke, straight out of the third world.

it'll be expensive but it needs to be done.

I get the 901 bus to Broadmeadows, take the train to Glenroy, get on the 513 bus to Preston and arrive at home afer a 2 min walk.

Takes me a long time but costs not much on a myki.

Last time I was on the 513 there were some really loud fat kids talking about this drug dealer they were meeting at the Maccas in Northland so it spoiled my arvo. Wish I had brought some headphones.

I get the 901 bus to Broadmeadows, take the train to Glenroy, get on the 513 bus to Preston and arrive at home afer a 2 min walk.

Last time I was on the 513 there were some really loud fat kids talking about this drug dealer they were meeting at the Maccas in Northland so it spoiled my arvo. Wish I had brought some headphones.

Or drugs.

Only recently discovered the 901 Bus from the airport - They certainly tuck it away so you don't see it unless you know about it.

I pretty much always get Skybus, never have to wait long and takes you direct to Southern Cross station where you can get a train to your final destination. Costs $28 for a return. Would a rail line be any quicker or less expensive?
The point is as the traffic worsens, as passengers increase, there is need for more than just one method (skybus) [besides cars] that can take people to the airport.

The point is as the traffic worsens, as passengers increase, there is need for more than just one method (skybus) [besides cars] that can take people to the airport.

Fair point, hadn't thought about the increase in demand.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back