Viva la Mattner

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 30, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Cleveland Browns, Tottenham
It's less than 100 days until the race that stops a nation comes around again.
International aspirants are starting to emerge.
Let the discussions begin!

So far on my shortlist although very rough are:

Bondeiger
Red Cadeux (purely for the romantic in me)
Fame Game
Trip to Paris (just.. makes the list)
Rising Romance

http://www.racing.com/news/2015-07-31/melbourne-cup-on-big-oranges-agenda

An Emirates Melbourne Cup start awaits Big Orange after the Michael Bell-trained galloper prevailed in a three-way battle to win the Group 2 Goodwood Cup (2 miles) at Glorious Goodwood on Thursday.

Big Orange showed plenty of courage to hold off the favourite Quest For More and Ed Dunlop’s Trip To Paris, and a visit to Australia is firmly on the agenda, as it is for the third horse.

All eyes on Trip to Paris for me. Got on it for the kings cup (?) At ascot at 16/1 and as soon as ed Dunlop mentioned Melbourne cup I snapped up the 80/1 on betfair exchange.

All eyes on Trip to Paris for me. Got on it for the kings cup (?) At ascot at 16/1 and as soon as ed Dunlop mentioned Melbourne cup I snapped up the 80/1 on betfair exchange.

won't be getting in cheap, probably top weight for mine and i question some of the UK form this year. If i owned it I probably wouldn't even come.

Fame Game is who i think at this point in time.
Set Square is who i hope for although CC more likely.

Last edited:
won't be getting in cheap, probably top weight for mine and i question some of the UK form this year. If i owned it I probably wouldn't even come.

Fame Game is who i think at this point in time.
Set Square is who i hope for.
Yeah I'm not sure it'll run either. Dunlop said weight would play a huge part. Still 80/1 was to good not to snap up.

After the Bande debacle of last year,hard to dive in at $18 Fame Game.
His Tenno Sho run was ridiculously good though,miles better than AR's equivalent.

Great to hear Ed Dunlop's quest continues by IMO Trip to Paris isnt the right horse,4000m winners get lapped here.

The horse with the wraps in Almandin & theyve looked after him,more a Cox Plate horse though

seth

Fame Game does look outstanding, but no rush at that price this far out.

Hokko Brave is coming too apparently. Fame Game looks superior to Hokko Brave, certainly got a better turn of foot and has beaten Hokko Brave at their most recent meetings. But Hokko Brave's $51 with Bet365 and his Japanese form is pretty solid at 2 miles.

https://m.racenet.com.au/melbourne-cup/horses.aspx

Would perhaps add Goldstream to my list and a local hope, my early cox plate tip who I've already backed is Alpine Eagle. His turn of foot is something else.

iluvparis and sethlad would be interested to hear your early thoughts

Cup - all the ones high up in the betting look too slow for me, as Seth said - Gold Cup form generally too slow. Would expect something like Snow Sky to flog all the Gold/Goodward Cup horses if given a fair weight. One I don't mind if it got here was Second Step trained by Cumani - looks his type of lightly raced, improving, handicapper type that has gone well in the past.

Cox Plate - if Arod gets here in full fitness he'll do me all day :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's talk of Dubday coming. He won the Glorious Stakes this year so he's met a ballot condition. I don't know too much about him but he has form around Telescope and Gospel Choir.

$151 on Bet 365

There are no early standouts amongst the Overseas or Aussie horses. I've been interested in the German horse that Freedman purchased after running fifth in the 2014 Japan Cup - I suspect he will be weighed out of the cup as he has some good group 1 form overseas, and of course how well has the horse acclimatised.

Lonsdale Cup 11.30pm tonight at York has Trip to Paris & Big Orange.
Both are expected here on the 2nd shipment

seth

Is trip to paris planning a run here before the cup?

Both have said they will be going straight in.
Would need to be on 1st shipment to run here 1st,believe Big Orange's connections are considering it.
The other one from that formline is Quest for More who is scratched tonight but Charlton has declared theyre coming.

Not sure this is strong enough form either way with the Japanese certain starters.

seth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back