What the heck? Melbourne draftee Interviews

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah I read that on EBW too, also was interesting that we don't use "silly outdated mind games" in our interview process.

Not sure asking a potential employee what they'd bring to the company can really be called a 'silly outdated mind game'.

Hard to argue with his results. One GF and another Prelim? and a couple of semi finals. Interesting methodology. Certainly those players listed played for him.

He did well. I think the theory is, its almost like undercutting the assistants if the head coach gets too involved with players that aren't in the best 5 - 10 at the club (who generally coach themselves for the most part and contribute to the gameplan). IF the head coach says something that conflicts with what an assistant says, it gives the lower ranked players less confidence in their development and the club.

Its simply chain of command. The guys on 500k a year or more are certainly going to speak directly to the head coach, as they're making quite a bit more money than any of the assistants would be anyway.

Ross Lyon dumped Michael Barlow on his first day for pre-season training before the 2007 rookie draft when at St Kilda, for being 5 minutes late to his first session, and in pretty blunt terms too.

How the wheel turns............

Apparently Chocco used to do something similar at Port. Used to ask players questions that made them uncomfortable to see how they deal with it. Apparently he asked Dustin Martin if he was stupid, since he didn't finish school.

Had a couple of mates interviewed by him - the above is accurate.

Some of the stuff i this thread is gold - interviewees calling horse races, Grundy playing interviewers on a break, Chocco getting off the leash... off tap :thumbsu:

Only thing missing is Chocco interviewing Grundy - that you'd pay to see, if they both lived up to their reputations.

What truth, you've just made something up and been called on it.

I'm assuming you've never, in your life been involved in the recruitment of an AFL listed player in any capacity, as a result you're simply not qualified to make absolute statements like those you posted earlier.

What truth, you've just made something up and been called on it.

I'm assuming you've never, in your life been involved in the recruitment of an AFL listed player in any capacity, as a result you're simply not qualified to make absolute statements like those you posted earlier.
You haven't called me out on anything and have no evidence to the contrary.

As for the highlighted, nor have you. I know you like to pretend to be some self styled expert, but it is nothing more than shameless (or shameful?) self aggrandizement on a football forum.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Highlight of the thread is a pack of dudes who can barely compose themselves on a football forum saying how tough they'd talk to coaches as a 17 year old at draft camp.

Haha yeah I like that bit too. I admit it, I would cry.

Highlight of the thread is a pack of dudes who can barely compose themselves on a football forum saying how tough they'd talk to coaches as a 17 year old at draft camp.

No chance they would actually do it...you've been working hard throughout your teenage years all for this moment of being drafted and living out your dream of playing AFL...you're effectively at a job interview with clubs....would not blow it by being a dickhead. Even if someone like Choco deserved it.

I wonder if Williams asked Dylan Shiel if he was gay before being drafted by GWS? His response would have been along the lines of "No i'm actually plowing one in to your daughter Mr Williams".
If that was true the 6pm News lead story that night would have been - "And tonight, former Premiership coach Mark Williams is under arrest for assaulting a young 17yr old male"

No chance they would actually do it...you've been working hard throughout your teenage years all for this moment of being drafted and living out your dream of playing AFL...you're effectively at a job interview with clubs....would not blow it by being a dickhead. Even if someone like Choco deserved it.

I think you're underestimating some of these kids confidence. No doubt there are a lot of shy kids as you would expect, or guys who don't want to risk losing a spot.

But you also get the damn good players who know they will be picked up (matter of where in the draft, not if), have been told they are damn good since a young age, are intelligent, and are popular among their peers - these kids are up to their eyeballs in confidence and self-esteem and if some coach was rude to them/challenged them, they would go straight back. Brodie Grundy seems to be an example in this thread. These kids exist. Replying in kind is not necessarily being a dickhead.

True. I don't doubt some of these young alpha males would do it.

I highly doubt most of the BF posters who say they would though.

I think you're underestimating some of these kids confidence. No doubt there are a lot of shy kids as you would expect, or guys who don't want to risk losing a spot.

But you also get the damn good players who know they will be picked up (matter of where in the draft, not if), have been told they are damn good since a young age, are intelligent, and are popular among their peers - these kids are up to their eyeballs in confidence and self-esteem and if some coach was rude to them/challenged them, they would go straight back. Brodie Grundy seems to be an example in this thread. These kids exist. Replying in kind is not necessarily being a dickhead.
It is interesting how the system works. Some are allowed to say and do and act however they wish, while others are not allowed to whisper what has happened to them without being tossed to the scrap heap in retribution.

True. I don't doubt some of these young alpha males would do it.

I highly doubt most of the BF posters who say they would though.

It is easier to tell people what you would do / have done in a situation you know you'll never actually find yourself in, that's true, I guess:

159_internetwarrior0or__600_x_7001.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back