Melbourne guernsey

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting why they went over to North Melbourne? is it cos they had just won the flag?

Maybe. Perhaps because North Melbourne and Fitzroy had actually concluded a merger, which was approved by the directors and shareholders. Going to North might have been a collective "up yours" to the other clubs that had knocked back the "North Fitzroy Kangaroos". Certainly many Fitzroy supporters were supportive of a merger with North.

If you don't mind me asking, how ld were you at the time of the merger in 96?
must have been tough in 01-03 seeing the lions win 3 in a row? did you at all have a soft sport or enjoy those premierships?
Early 20s - old enough to be aware of what was going on.

In 2001 while I was glad that Johnno and Pikey were able to win a flag, I was hoping they'd lose. That first flag felt like a kick in the guts as I guess, to me, the wounds were still fresh. From then I hoped the ex-Fitzroy players did well, but I had no emotional attachment after that and couldn't care who won or lost.

This my friends is why football is going down in Melbourne along with the closure of Waverley Park.
Adam Muyt, author of a Fitzroy book called "Maroon and Blue" conducted hundreds of interviews with Fitzroy officials players, members and supporters for the book after the merger. He made the following conclusions:

- at least 40 percent of Fitzroy supporters have been lost to AFL football.
- between 5-10 percent of Fitzroy supporters now follow another code or lower levels of Australian Rules football as their primary football experience.
- no more than 5 percent of Fitzroy supporters now follow another AFL side, including a few hundred that went across to North Melbourne.
- over 40 percent of Fitzroy people support the Brisbane Lions, but may not be necessarily paid up members.

A 1998 survey conducted by those opposed to the merger with Brisbane that showed just 27% of Fitzroy people following the Brisbane Lions.
The article quoted former Fitzroy Football Club secretary, Bill Atherton, as saying, ‘…there’s a solid 70% block who still didn’t go across’.
I'm from Melbourne and in primary school nobody played footy apart from me and literally no one plays footy at my school. I'm considering a move to Essendon Keilor because of their elite football program even though it's 2 hours away.

Sorry if this has already been talked about guys.
But when the 'merger' with Bris happend i thought it wouldve been the obvious choice for the newly formed Bris Lions to wear this at home
IMG_3414.JPG

And this at away games
IMG_3093.JPG

Did anybody here feel the same??
Or was the majority happy with the new jumper being designed?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back