Gym & Misc Member Profiles - Post yours!

Remove this Banner Ad

Its going to be hard since the PT's at my gym have no clue… The thing is i don't always feel the burn in the muscle I'm working…

Some people will hate what I have to say next, watch Kai Greene fitness videos..... the train with Kai vids. He gives you a different outlook on it and at your age, what he talks about should speak volumes to you. He talks about focusing on the muscle group that you are working and explains the movements. My un-educated view on not feeling the burn is because you are not doing the exercise properly. By no means am I having a go, please understand that :). I can't link vids to here, it's to hard on the iPad. Just go to youtube and search train with Kai.:thumbsu:.

P.S, I started powerlifting a few years ago and the first couple of months were all about getting the technique right. Like I said, the better the technique = the easier the weight will come.

cant like your post enough. but 16 year olds are prone to succumbing to peer pressure and wanting to look tough/good doing exercise. technique is an evil word, whereas lifting as much as possible to impress is what's important

Cheers mate :thumbsu:. These 16 year old you speak of, are they the same 16 years old that in 20 years are burnt out, with all sorts of joint problems......not nice.

Cheers mate :thumbsu:. These 16 year old you speak of, are they the same 16 years old that in 20 years are burnt out, with all sorts of joint problems......not nice.

spot on. im agreeing with you, but just wanted to point out that society fights an uphill battle against what 16 year olds are like.

I don't ever really feel a burn. Depends how you're training, what you're training and is also based on a subjective feeling.

I can "focus" my bench press on my pecs, but I don't get a burn. I only get a minor burn from doing flyes and holding at the end (or middle ;)) of the lift.

Back, I don't really get a burn during pullups, rows or deads (I do them on back day not leg day). Shoulders I get something minor on my 6th - 7th set?

Same with DOMS. I don't think that's necessarily indicative of a poor workout. Need to assess your form from a video if you're thinking it may be a concern.
The op above said this can be an indication that my form is poor, thoughts?

More the along the lines of contracting the muscle.

Have a look at the above vids and you will understand what I mean. :)
Let me know what you think

I don't ever really feel a burn. Depends how you're training, what you're training and is also based on a subjective feeling.

I can "focus" my bench press on my pecs, but I don't get a burn. I only get a minor burn from doing flyes and holding at the end (or middle ;)) of the lift.

Back, I don't really get a burn during pullups, rows or deads (I do them on back day not leg day). Shoulders I get something minor on my 6th - 7th set?

Same with DOMS. I don't think that's necessarily indicative of a poor workout. Need to assess your form from a video if you're thinking it may be a concern.

I agree that the burn and DOMS don't reflect a good or bad workout. For mine i don't get much DOMS in my upper body, i do in my legs though. Besides it's near on impossible to crush every workout, as long as you don't regularly skip work outs and you maintain consistency you will see positive results. More often than not i feel the burn in my workouts, but sometimes i don't. How close to failure do u train? Maybe you don't push yourself to closer to the limits, hence why you don't feel the burn. But as i said, its not the be all and end all.

It's pretty hard to feel a burn in your pecs during bench press I reckon, particularly barbell BP.

Same goes for quite a few of the compound movements for me actually.

It's pretty hard to feel a burn in your pecs during bench press I reckon, particularly barbell BP.

Agreed, i was thinking this yesterday morning whilst doing chest at the gym. I suspect it is to do with using so many muscles when doing compound lifts. I feel a lot more of a burn when doing DB chest presses. But doing barbell BP makes you stronger (it does for me) in order to lift a heavier DB for the same exercise.

Hi mate.

One caveat I'll write up, online forums aren't great for intonation.

So off the bat, I'm not necessarily disagreeing with what bkozican is saying. I personally don't believe there's a way to dictate whether a 'burn' (itself a subjective thing) is related to your form however. I don't want to put words into his mouth so to speak, but I believe that he's talking more about 'mind-muscle connection'. Now this is something that plays a part in your lifting, but probably moreso the effectiveness of the lift, rather than the form your performing it with.

Very good post/read. You are spot on. Im not the best at putting my thoughts to a post :).

Mind muscle connection.......:thumbsu:

Have a check on here http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/5-best-exercises-for-a-bigger-chest.html

It goes through the motions of a chest workout. Not only chest workouts but has a video with instructions for nearly every exercise. Hope it helps.

Yep agree 100% with first statement.

Primarily DBs for me too. More than enough, more time under tension.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just kidding Saj. Everyone's different, was more an invitation to expand

Firstly? Patience.

You're young and you're body is still growing at a rapid pace. The last thing that you should do is to add an unrealistic growth expectation on your body and mind. If you can try your best to learn nutrition and how your body works, that skill will never leave you. Learn good eating habits.

It's great to see a young guy looking to stay fit and healthy, but just make sure that you don't cut too many corners. As for programs, ask guys like Kong, cptkirk and the experienced lifters/fitness guys in here and learn from them.

Just my 2 cents.

Really hard to give any sort of advice without knowing the stats and the make up of the kid. Depending where you live I could send you off to so some really professional guys who for $30 would have you sorted with a great program and advice for your diet.

Just an update with myself;

Age; soon to be 28
Height; 5'10 / 178cm
Current weight; 83.7kg
Body fat % - approx 13-14% (ive had body scans before, last scan i had i was at XMas 2013 84kg at 13.90%)
short term goals; increase strength, lean gains, lose body fat.
Long term goals; would love to get to and stay around 10% BF weighing around 88kg

I play local footy on Saturdays, train Thursday nights only, i have Tuesdays off because of some adductor issues.
Gym is 6 times a week.
Sunday - back/bis
Monday - chest/tris
Tuesday - legs/shoulders
Wednesday - back/bis
Thursday - chest/tris (and 3 x sets of 3 leg exercises)
Friday - shoulders/traps

Currently in a bit of a cutting phase, around the June long weekend i was 90/91kg and felt slow and sluggish. Decided to cut back a bit with food, kept training the same and have got down to 83.7kg and will keep going till the end of the month. Post footy season around mid August i will up my calories and training. Hit some carb cycling about 8 weeks before Xmas.

Just an update with myself;

Age; soon to be 28
Height; 5'10 / 178cm
Current weight; 83.7kg
Body fat % - approx 13-14% (ive had body scans before, last scan i had i was at XMas 2013 84kg at 13.90%)
short term goals; increase strength, lean gains, lose body fat.
Long term goals; would love to get to and stay around 10% BF weighing around 88kg

I play local footy on Saturdays, train Thursday nights only, i have Tuesdays off because of some adductor issues.
Gym is 6 times a week.
Sunday - back/bis
Monday - chest/tris
Tuesday - legs/shoulders
Wednesday - back/bis
Thursday - chest/tris (and 3 x sets of 3 leg exercises)
Friday - shoulders/traps

Currently in a bit of a cutting phase, around the June long weekend i was 90/91kg and felt slow and sluggish. Decided to cut back a bit with food, kept training the same and have got down to 83.7kg and will keep going till the end of the month. Post footy season around mid August i will up my calories and training. Hit some carb cycling about 8 weeks before Xmas.

jesus how do you have the time to gym it 6 days a week? not married?

jesus how do you have the time to gym it 6 days a week? not married?

haha i am a single man, who has the company of a lady friend over the weekend.

I've started a new job in the last 6 weeks, my start time is between 8-8:30 am and finish around 5-5;30pm. I get up at 5:45am each work day, pre work out and get the gym around 6am, warm up and train till 7:15. Home, shower and change, then arrive at work around 8:15.

How are we all going.....

Things have changed over the last month.

Doing cardio every morning before work, schedule looks something like this....

Mon - 5.00-5-40 (cardio) --work-- gym (cardio+weights)
Tues - 5.00-5-40 (cardio) --work-- rest
Wed - 5.00-5-40 (cardio) --work-- gym (cardio+weights)
Thur - 5.00-5-40 (cardio) --work-- gym (cardio+weights)
Fri - 5.00-5-40 (cardio) --work-- rest
Sat - 7.00 - 8.00 (cardio) --rest--eat--rest-- gym (cardio+weights)
Sun - 7.00 - 8.00 (cardio)--rest--eat--rest-- gym (cardio+weights)

Last known weight - 108.50 < Last Sunday morning 13/7/14

No GF, Don't drink, just trying to save money and this is the best way to do so.....

Dropped 10 kilos in about a month from the cardio in the morning and not eating as much. Will come back in a month and see where im at

Re: Member Profiles

Height: 183
Weight: 85ish
Body type: middle
Qualifications in the industry: Sports engineer (mechanical engineer with a year or so focusing on the body and how it works), cert 3/4, rowing/weights coach for schools

Supplements: currently using: Protein, general vitamin

Diet: bacon and eggs, meat and veg. Basically it's a non grain diet, low dairy, high fat high protein - lots of vegies. Lazy mans HFLC/Paleo type deal.

Goals: Performance based. My body breaks down quickly so training has to be kept short, sub max and frequent. I want to get to 'candidate for master of sport' ranking with kettlebells for the biathlon.

Achievements so far: 65 double jerks with 2x 16kb's , dips with 70, chins with 50, 600 swings(1 hand) w/16kg bell without putting it down.

Sport played: Rowing

Remove this Banner Ad

Back