Memorable Banners

Remove this Banner Ad

Hawks '85 GF banner...proceeded to get flogged by 78 points:

banner.jpg
78 points? That's cute

Club house leader in my book:

I was working in Adelaide back in 2010 and was one of 16,694 who along with the bay covers braved the torrential rain to see Richmond notch their first win under Hardwick against Port. Was having a few pre match West Ends and was asked help the cheer squad with their banner

It was left sitting on the field pre-match had become water logged through the canvas carry case. We rolled it out and it was basically a lattice of sticky tape, with sodden yellow and black crape paper hanging limply off it – most pathetic excuse of a banner I’ve ever seen. Have cropped a still from the match highlights but will try and find a decent photo of it up when I get home:

Banner.jpg

Where's the 2012 banner?

Don't know. Whenever I looked for it online, I kept finding photos of Hawthorn winning the 2013 premiership.

So here's a different one instead - Hawthorn's 1988 grand final banner.

haw-mumma.jpg

Bet that banner wouldn't go down well today.

Round 7 - May 19, 1979 - Western Oval - Footscray versus South Melbourne

My parents were visiting me on their first trip to Australia. They had never seen a footy match, but knew about the game from my infatuation with it. So with great pride we went to the Western Oval, all three of us decked out in red, white and blue and sat in the Whitten Stand.

Footscray were 1W 1D and 4L and South were 3W and 3L at the time. The excitement grew as the banners were lifted. South's read: "How much is that Doggie in the gutter?" That was a bit embarrassing to say the least. However, the Bulldogs beat the Swans 22.17 149 to 14.17 101. Sweet revenge.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

North cheer-squad having a sook:

north_melb_banner.jpg
sorry that we weren't allowed to wear our home strip to our home game because Collingwood refused to get a clash jumper.
the cheer squad made a statement to the AFL and Collingwood that day, calling them out that it's not good enough to force the home team to wear an away strip, because the other team is too arrogant. from memory they were the only team not to have a clash jumper at the time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back