News PeopleFirst (Bank) Stadium and Precinct

Remove this Banner Ad

A big issue I have for Metricon is that is suits so many events because of the size of the precinct itself. There could be a veterans car show, a monster truck show, a supercross show, swapmeets, etc. But there's no parking for any visitors to attend. Metricon Stadium could potentially draw tens of thousands from all around SEQ - Ipswich, Brisbane, Sunny Coast (even northern NSW). People have to drive to get there, and can't park anywhere.

This extremely inhibits the shows that would be willing to go there. I sure as * wouldn't catch a bus to a monster truck spectacular at Metricon.

That's misleading though. Multiple tenants use Etihad and Suncorp, while Metricon has just the one.

Don't forget the NAB Cup game between Brisbane and GC in March!

Even with that included, the comparison is embarrassing. Metricon really should be utilised for more.
That's true. It's just such a shame to see the stadium not used at all for 9 months of the year.

Kate Jones (the one who unseated Premier Campbell Newman) is the new Gold Coast Commonwealth Games Minister. She is going to have a heavy influence on the success/failure of the 2018 Comm Games.

Kate Jones (the one who unseated Premier Campbell Newman) is the new Gold Coast Commonwealth Games Minister. She is going to have a heavy influence on the success/failure of the 2018 Comm Games.
She is a very consultative and open minded MP. Provided she's given the power and authority by the government to actually make it a success, I'm confident she'll do a great job.

She is a very consultative and open minded MP. Provided she's given the power and authority by the government to actually make it a success, I'm confident she'll do a great job.

Interesting choice, I would of though a Gold Coaster would be the best person for this rather than a Brisbanite, but hey she can only do better than the last peanut, at least I hope she can.

Interesting choice, I would of though a Gold Coaster would be the best person for this rather than a Brisbanite, but hey she can only do better than the last peanut, at least I hope she can.
Does Labor when have any GC MPs? Haha.

Her other portfolio for major events and stuff maybe factored into the decision to make her the Comm Games MP? Who knows

Does Labor when have any GC MPs? Haha.

Her other portfolio for major events and stuff maybe factored into the decision to make her the Comm Games MP? Who knows

Well lets all wish her luck and hope for a great games and a legacy for the coast

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It looks like you were right on the money when it came to her character. She appears to be off to a good start:

Kate Jones, aka Minister for the Gold Coast, was all business when she dropped into the city
KATE Jones is used to holidaying on the Gold Coast.

But during a fleeting visit to the state’s second-largest city yesterday she admitted that holiday was now over.

Travelling down the M1 for the first time as Education, Tourism and Commonwealth Games Minister, the Ashgrove MP squeezed two functions into the three-hour trip.

First stop was the top of the Q1 building in Surfers Paradise, where tourism heavyweights were waiting on level 77 to hear how she was going to ensure the Gold Coast retained its crown as tourism capital.

Gold Coast 2018 Commonwealth Games chiefs were also there eager to meet their new boss.

Ms Jones didn’t dwell on the detail, four days into the job. But she wowed the small crowd with talk of consultation, growth and success.

“The Palaszczuk Government is committed to tourism growth and we understand that can only be achieved in partnership with the leaders here today,” Ms Jones said.

“Tourism goes hand-in-hand with Queensland’s economy.

“When we are doing well on the Gold Coast in tourism, our economy is going well and I understand that.

“I have made it my priority to come to the Gold Coast within days of being appointed. I want to work with you to ensure we grow tourism on the Gold Coast.”

Despite being born and bred in inner-city Brisbane, Ms Jones claimed to have a strong connection to the Gold Coast. “I come to the Gold Coast once a month at least,” she said.

“My best friend lives in the Hinterland and my mother-in-law is there. I have always holidayed on the Coast.”

Ms Jones described being Commonwealth Games Minister as “the best job in the world”.

“I will be working to ensure that the 2018 Commonwealth Games is the best we have ever seen,” she said.

Ms Jones said that could only be achieved in partnership with the Gold Coast — making it clear she would take a different approach from the LNP government.

“I am very keen to work with (Gold Coast Mayor) Tom Tate,” she said.

“I think that people want to be involved in the Commonwealth Games.

“We need to make this a win for every business on the Gold Coast.”

Gold Coast Tourism boss Paul Donovan and others complimented Ms Jones on her early visit and apparent accessibility.

“The Minister was on the phone yesterday morning,” he said. “The first thing she said was ‘my name is Kate, not the Minister’.”

In contrast, former Games and Tourism Minister Jann Stuckey was known for insisting her title was used.

Ms Jones laughed off any suggestion she was overloaded with portfolios.

She stopped short of promising any of the tourism and Games figures appointed by the LNP would keep their jobs.

These were the goals she set out for the Gold Coast yesterday:
  • Make 2018 Games the best in history
  • Become a well-known face on Gold Coast
  • Rebuild the relationship between Gold Coast Council and Queensland Government
  • Work with Gold Coast to ensure a lasting Games legacy
  • Consider increasing Tourism and Events Queensland funding
  • Tell government how much Coast wants light rail extended
So obviously she learnt from the previous Comm Games Minister's mistakes and is now committed to leaving a lasting Commonwealth Games legacy (great news!) and repairing the relationship between the Gold Coast Council and the Queensland Government. She obviously understands the importance of a light rail extension as well so that's good news.

It's a good start and let's hope there is more to Ms Jones than just words.

Just a little bit more news on the Commonwealth Games. The 2022 edition was a two horse race between Edmonton, Canada and Durban, South Africa until a few days ago. Edmonton has officially withdrawn their bid which leaves Durban as the last remaining city in the race. Barring a miracle late bid, the 2022 Commonwealth Games will be held in Durban, South Africa. This means we'll see an African performance at Metricon Stadium during the closing ceremony.

9aDZ4gy.png
It will be the first time the Commonwealth Games has been held in the African continent and will mean the Games have been held in Africa, Asia, Europe, North America and Oceania. That leaves South America and Antarctica as the only continents to have not hosted the Commonwealth Games but both seem very unlikely considering the one South American country is the relatively unknown Guyana and Antarctica is no chance for obvious reasons. I decided to make this out of curiousity:

Oceania - 8
1938 (Sydney), 1950 (Auckland), 1962 (Perth), 1974 (Christchurch), 1982 (Brisbane), 1990 (Auckland), 2006 (Melbourne), 2018 (Gold Coast)

Europe - 6
1911 (London), 1934 (London), 1958 (Cardiff), 1970 (Edinburgh), 1986 (Edinburgh), 2002 (Manchester), 2014 (Glasgow)

North America - 5
1930 (Hamilton), 1954 (Vancouver), 1966 (Kingston), 1978 (Edmonton), 1994 (Victoria)

Asia - 2
1998 (Kuala Lumpur), 2010 (Delhi)

Africa - 1

2022 (Durban)

It looks like you were right on the money when it came to her character. She appears to be off to a good start:

Kate Jones, aka Minister for the Gold Coast, was all business when she dropped into the city

So obviously she learnt from the previous Comm Games Minister's mistakes and is now committed to leaving a lasting Commonwealth Games legacy (great news!) and repairing the relationship between the Gold Coast Council and the Queensland Government. She obviously understands the importance of a light rail extension as well so that's good news.

‘my name is Kate, not the Minister’.
This says it all, really. What a champ.

Lets hope she can achieve what she has set as goals, fair chance she can as I can't help but notice out of the 6 goals presented only 2 have any tangible way of quantifying them (1 and 4) the others are just fluff, but as the article says she was light on detail. Lets hope this is just because she is new.

I wonder how the people of Ashgrove feel about the local member spending large amounts of time out of the electorate, wasn't this one of the key messages in the Labor election campaign as to why change was required in that seat. Newman is never there and Kate will be

Lets hope she can achieve what she has set as goals, fair chance she can as I can't help but notice out of the 6 goals presented only 2 have any tangible way of quantifying them (1 and 4) the others are just fluff, but as the article says she was light on detail. Lets hope this is just because she is new.

I wonder how the people of Ashgrove feel about the local member spending large amounts of time out of the electorate, wasn't this one of the key messages in the Labor election campaign as to why change was required in that seat. Newman is never there and Kate will be
I remember the local media getting around the idea of a Gold Coast Minister when it was becoming increasingly obvious that Labor would win the election but not hold any seats on the Gold Coast. I also remember reading that Anna Bligh assumed this role previously which resulted in the upgrade of the Carrara Sports Precinct, securing and planning for the Commonwealth Games and creation of the light rail - arguably the three biggest issues on the Gold Coast right now.

Kate was just on the Gold Coast News and she hit back at critics who say her plate is too full by essentially saying everyone was telling her for 6 months that she couldn't unseat the Premier. She seems determined and (perhaps most importantly) approachable. I just hope they release the plans soon so we can see what is actually going on. We've been left in the dark for years.

Not so sure she had a great deal to do with unseating the Premier, I think a used prophylactic could of run and won against him :D

I am sure she will do good job, the portfolio has been mismanaged for years so she can only be an improvement.

Frankly I would rather her than our deer in the headlights premier

Okay, we finally have something. Below are the plans for the Carrara Sports Precinct that were approved by the Gold Coast Council on 24 February 2015 (three days ago). The plans show in detail that the area will not be affected by flooding due to processes that will be put in place but more importantly let's see what the plans include. It is quite a large image so you may have to expand it to read everything. So, as we already know, the Carrara Sports and Leisure Centre (CSLC) will be built just north of the existing Carrara Indoor Stadium. It will consist of two halls and you can see the GCS label on the eastern side of the CSLC hall 1. Obviously this will be where the Suns new training and administration facilities will be built which is ideal given it looks out on to the elite fields, the Nerang River and the Surfers Paradise/Southport skyline. Presumably the closest elite field to the training and admin building will contain an athletics track around the outside of the oval. You can also see the previously planned plaza (that will include restaurants) on the western side of the CSLC and Indoor Stadium are still in the plans and will replace the existing car park. You can also see the spare land on the western side of Nerang-Broadbeach Road will finally used and look to become soccer/rugby fields. The plans below paint the picture of an impressive sporting precinct.

Cc1lDxA.jpg

Okay, we finally have something. Below are the plans for the Carrara Sports Precinct that were approved by the Gold Coast Council on 24 February 2015 (three days ago). The plans show in detail that the area will not be affected by flooding due to processes that will be put in place but more importantly let's see what the plans include. It is quite a large image so you may have to expand it to read everything. So, as we already know, the Carrara Sports and Leisure Centre (CSLC) will be built just north of the existing Carrara Indoor Stadium. It will consist of two halls and you can see the GCS label on the eastern side of the CSLC hall 1. Obviously this will be where the Suns new training and administration facilities will be built which is ideal given it looks out on to the elite fields, the Nerang River and the Surfers Paradise/Southport skyline. Presumably the closest elite field to the training and admin building will contain an athletics track around the outside of the oval. You can also see the previously planned plaza (that will include restaurants) on the western side of the CSLC and Indoor Stadium are still in the plans and will replace the existing car park. You can also see the spare land on the western side of Nerang-Broadbeach Road will finally used and look to become soccer/rugby fields. The plans below paint the picture of an impressive sporting precinct.

Cc1lDxA.jpg
Matchu it looks like the old Bball stadium is staying, I thought it was getting demolished or is it just getting a facelift?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back