Michael Klinger - next in line for Tests?

Remove this Banner Ad

That is ridiculous. So a batsman gets it right then he has to make up for not getting it right? Where is the logic in that?

No, it just means he has to prove that he really has "turned the corner" so to speak, and that he is genuinely fulfilling his true potential, rather than just enjoying some (temporary) good form.

The problem with Klinger is that he has shown that he is capable of being very, very crap for a sustained period of time.

Steve Smith is way too young and inexperienced. Needs to work on his game, not be thrust into the Test side.

Considering he averages more than 46 already at fc level and Klinger's feats over the past couple of years have lifted his average to a mighty 41.22...........and do not forget he is from NSW so Aus representation is mandatory.

Pecking order IMO
Smith - can bat, can bowl a bit, gives an X factor at number 6 which we prefer, granted the X factor may turn out to be the :mad: factor.
White
Marsh
Khawaja
Ferguson - would be first if fit

Something like that, I doubt Klinger is even under vague consideration....

No, it just means he has to prove that he really has "turned the corner" so to speak, and that he is genuinely fulfilling his true potential, rather than just enjoying some (temporary) good form.

The problem with Klinger is that he has shown that he is capable of being very, very crap for a sustained period of time.

How's that different to someone like Ferguson, Cosgrove or Henriques?

Considering he averages more than 46 already at fc level and Klinger's feats over the past couple of years have lifted his average to a mighty 41.22

Er, sample sizes here are pretty important. Hussey once averaged 90-odd, didn't he?

Get Paine in early! We keep on bringing in 30 year olds, if we bring in someone at 26 they can have an experienced 8-10 year career instead of 3-4 year careers.

Paine has been pretty average as bat in FC cricket, has a lot to learn before he can match up to Haddin's batting (better than Haddin as a keeper, but Haddin has improved recently).

Keeps banging down the door in every form of cricket he plays.

Hardly. There are better batsman ahead of him, plus he is a bit on the old side. I'd rather have Steve Smith in the side in 12 months time than have Klinger. Where we like it or not Hughes, Jaques and Smith would be ahead, plus Callum Ferguson.

Too old.
We have Hussey 35 this year.
Pointing 36 this year.
Katich 35 this year.
Marcus north 31 and struggling.
Haddin 33 this year.
Leaving Shane Watson at 29 this year and very injury prone, and Micheal Clarke also 29 this year the two youngsters of the line up.
You would think at the most Haddin, Hussey, Katich and Pointing have two more years in them. North maybe two more series, but thats if the team is winning.
A massive rebuild is on the way and Klinger would only add to it over the next 2 years.

He's 29 FFS. That's not old. That's the age we normally bring players into the Aussie side.

Hardly. There are better batsman ahead of him, plus he is a bit on the old side. I'd rather have Steve Smith in the side in 12 months time than have Klinger. Where we like it or not Hughes, Jaques and Smith would be ahead, plus Callum Ferguson.
He's 30, Hussey was 30 when he started, although I do agree with you that Smith is ahead of him, especially in the age factor, plus Smith can bowl very well. Callum Ferguson is a better player them him IMO aswell.

Too old.
We have Hussey 35 this year.
Pointing 36 this year.
Katich 35 this year.
Marcus north 31 and struggling.
Haddin 33 this year.
Leaving Shane Watson at 29 this year and very injury prone, and Micheal Clarke also 29 this year the two youngsters of the line up.
You would think at the most Haddin, Hussey, Katich and Pointing have two more years in them. North maybe two more series, but thats if the team is winning.
A massive rebuild is on the way and Klinger would only add to it over the next 2 years.
It's funny how Watson and Clarke are 'youngsters' when they are 29! Although I can see them both playing for max. 5 more years each. We have a really strong A team, with players that are waiting to play such as Smith, S.Marsh, M.Marsh, Ferguson, Paine, Geeves, Nannes, Rimmington, Hopes, Harris, White, Henriques, Warner and Hilfenhaus just off the top of my head, although a few of the players I stated are debateable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

it is absolutely ridiculous and utterly disgraceful that Klinger has not been picked for Australia yet. It sickens me, that Shaun Marsh is ahead of him considering his averages in first class cricket are severely inferior to that of Klinger's. Klinger is by far the best batsman not playing for Australia at the moment and thoroughly deserves to be given a shot in either form of the game as he keeps piling on these runs.

He's 29 FFS. That's not old. That's the age we normally bring players into the Aussie side.

Not normaly, just of late. Other than Hughes who the selectors burnt and Siddle, in previous eras they would have given young players a run.
30 this year in relation to what age the rest of the team is your right, he is a baby.

you must be the worst observant of cricket. How can you honestly say that any of those players are ahead of him. In my opinion he is so far in front of those players it is laughable. Just please take a bit of time out of your life and have a look at his stats during the past two years in both forms of the game.

it is absolutely ridiculous and utterly disgraceful that Klinger has not been picked for Australia yet. It sickens me, that Shaun Marsh is ahead of him considering his averages in first class cricket are severely inferior to that of Klinger's. Klinger is by far the best batsman not playing for Australia at the moment and thoroughly deserves to be given a shot in either form of the game as he keeps piling on these runs.

If anyone was advocating to pick Klinger when Marsh was first picked in the One Day setup they would have been shipped off to the funny farm.

It's funny how Watson and Clarke are 'youngsters' when they are 29! Although I can see them both playing for max. 5 more years each. We have a really strong A team, with players that are waiting to play such as Smith, S.Marsh, M.Marsh, Ferguson, Paine, Geeves, Nannes, Rimmington, Hopes, Harris, White, Henriques, Warner and Hilfenhaus just off the top of my head, although a few of the players I stated are debateable.

It just depends on Clarkes back issues if he could go another 5 years, the same with Watson, he might have to give away the bowling to last that long.

If anyone was advocating to pick Klinger when Marsh was first picked in the One Day setup they would have been shipped off to the funny farm.

still not sure I'd have klinger in the odi side - but he is screaming now to be picked in the test side.

What he is starting to show is he can score quickly - which is essential at 6 -

Probably not next in line - but he should be, form over a 2 year period (which is easily long enough) is a long way ahead of any other batter not in the test team. I suspect Smith and White are next in line (don't think the selectors see Marsh as a test prospect).

I don't see 29 or 30 as a problem either. That age tends to be the peak age for batsman and we have had great success with players picked or recalled around that age (i.e. Langer, Hayden, Martyn, Hussey).

He's 30, Hussey was 30 when he started, although I do agree with you that Smith is ahead of him, especially in the age factor, plus Smith can bowl very well. Callum Ferguson is a better player them him IMO aswell.
No, he's not.

Ferguson is the most overrated player on these boards.

He's barely even had one good season at domestic level.

Not really. Klinger was a very good one-day player well before he finally struck gold in Shield.

No, he's not.

Ferguson is the most overrated player on these boards.

He's barely even had one good season at domestic level.

He's being picked on potential, much as Clarke was. Has excellent technique and temperament and his ODI performances have been brilliant from the get-go.

Whether that is right or wrong is another question - see below.

Nup.

Out - North
In - White

That is all.

Would be a poor choice. Unlike Ferguson (or Hussey, for that matter), an extended run in ODI has shown how loose a technique White has (as opposed to Ferg and Huss, where it showed the quality of their technique).

In ODIs, this is manageable because it helps White be flexible. At Test level, he will more than likely get eaten alive. He needs more time at Shield level tightening his technique.

White as a package is attractive in the Test team given the questions over Clarke's captaincy (and lack of a quality slipper), but White certainly doesn't have the batting game yet.

To be honest mate. I've never been a fan of Ferguson's batting.

Capable of scoring quickly, lofting shots and a lot of pretty stuff but big scores and high levels of concentration are not his thing.

Reminds me a lot of Blewett. Who had one particular technical flaw which was badly exposed at international level.

Despite being technically superior to most Ferguson does or did (don't know whether it's been seen to) have the same problem as Blewett. Very suspect against the inswinger because of the gap between bat and leg.

Time will tell, I suppose.

Interesting point. Most batsmen have that susceptibility though (to quality bowling), Blewett's was just more pronounced. I hadn't noticed it particularly with Ferg.

Regardless of our views, I suspect the selectors have him pencilled in for a top-6 Test spot and I wouldn't be surprised if he's slotted in soon after he returns from a knee injury.

I see what you mean about his levels of concentration, although this seemed to improve in the season or so before his knee injury. Which coincided in his selection...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back