Michael Long Is The Most Overrated Player Ever

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by Pevers-Legend
Checkmate
Hardly.

Long woulda coulda shoulda didn't, as Thrawn pointed out.

Lose gracefully - that post was just pathetic. I've lost so I'll use an absurd irrelvant example to try and prove a point I have been smashed with.

Checkmate

Bull!

Bacon's telling me that Long would have been a champion if he didn't get frequently injured. Who cares if he was injured, the fact remains that he never amounted to an AFL champion, just a decent player. Woulda, coulda, shoulda...

Originally posted by pav_is_god
Just interested, who were the other contenders? Fletcher or McIntosh? My footy knowledge prior to bout '87 is fairly limited.

Going on memory....others nominated were Fred Goldsmith (ex-Sth Melbourne and a Brownlow winner), David Dench, Kelvin Moore....may have been a few others that don't immediately come to mind.
Personally, I always thought Geoff Southby was a far better FB for Carlton than SOS, not that I would think too many Blues supporters may agree as SOS is so loved down there, but that's how I saw it.
Just remember at the time that his selection caused a fair bit of debate.
No - neither Fletcher or McIntosh were nominated.

Kinda like Port.:eek:
I'm glad you think Port are a champion team.

Originally posted by bacon buster
i'll try not to use my imagination in future.

thats only allowed for Carlton supporters dreaming of being successful.

One question to ask is - who the hell put Long in the Carey/Voss category in the first place - never heard this before - just seems another self-obsessed Essendon wannbe trying to prove that Dons fans are loyal - big woop.

Lose gracefully - that post was just pathetic. I've lost so I'll use an absurd irrelvant example to try and prove a point I have been smashed with.

Checkmate

Checkmate?.

A person has claimed that Long would have been a top class champion but was hampered by injury. The replies were along the line of "would of been, could of been etc", basically saying it is hard to predict what might of happened.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I always felt we never really saw the best of Longy, probably because of the 3 knee reconstructions. I'm sure Melbourne fans would say the same of David Schwarz, and older Essendon fans would say the same of Neale Daniher, under the same circumstances.

When Longy first started, I'll admit I was amazed with what he was able to do, which made him incredibily popular, very quickly.

It was in the 1991 season that we also saw how strong he was. 2 things I remember from that year were a hip and shoulder he landed on veteran player for the Crows (ex Collingwood and North), Bruce Abernethy and later on in the year at Waverley a similar bump on Peter Daicos.

Some would say his 1993 final series was some of the best footy seen by Essendon fans for a long time, highlighted by his win in the Norm Smith Medal that year.

Sadly, I feel Essendon lost a lot by Longy missing so much footy from early 1994 to 1999. As time went on, he did become a mentor, not so much for the other Aboriginal players in the game, but, in general at the club, hence him becoming vice-captain in 1999 to Hird.

People will say his hit on Simmonds was cowardly and whatever...it did seem a little over the top, but, part of the blame does lie with Simmonds...every player knows you have to try and protect yourself when you are out there, in case you get hit. Simmonds really didn't do that.

Champion player? Debatable. Champion person? A lot closer to the truth than not.

Originally posted by pazza
but, part of the blame does lie with Simmonds...every player knows you have to try and protect yourself when you are out there, in case you get hit. Simmonds really didn't do that.

Can't say I agree with this. IMO the blame lies squarely on Long.

Originally posted by Wally Matera
Agree...

In the same league as Daz Millane

What he said. Long's career was ridiculously over-rated. Had a pretty good career, but that's it. Was a star for a very short time

And Millane while a good player was over-rated once he died

Originally posted by Ibeeza
Bullshyte.

And if I didn't hurt my knee in the backyeard when i was 10 I would have been a superstar. What if, maybes, blah, blah Bacon Bummer.

There are at least 25 better Aboriginal players than Long over time...he might be on par with Robbie Ahmat, but thats it. Better Aboriginal players are (just to name a few):

M Rioli (not Dean, overweight and hopeless)
P Farmer
J Farmer
O'Loughlin
McLeod
S Jackson
J Krakeour
P Krakeour
A Krakeour (will be)
D White
C Johnson
Wanganeen
Wirrapunda
Kerr
Goodes
and plenty more

Champions in the true sence of the word are players that achived in all areas of the game. Michael Long not only was an amazing footballer on the feild (by the way in that list, you forgot a couple of other aboriginal greats, Winmar, McAdem, Burnes, Barry Cabel, Kickett, Kickett, Andrew McLeod, the Materas) But Michel Long also went above and beyond the call of dutie for Aborigal footballers and his people in general. Seeing you obviously cant remember that he was an abosolute genius cut down by injury as so many are. Champion is not just what you do in a game , but what you do with yourself with it.

Originally posted by KillswitchNgage
Long, Silvagni, Whitten and Gavin Brown for a 4-way tie in most overrated player of all time.
Definately agree wit u on Silvagni and Brown, dunno bout the others. Silvagni was a scraggler and was never a good defender he just man-handled everyone

So Long, in that theory should have stopped himself in mid-air, going into a contest...how the hell does that work?

In mid-air or not, it doesn't take away from the fact that he flattened Simmo illegally. It was an ugly incident that detracted from that particular game (but by no means the worst thing to happen in AFL).

Originally posted by benfti
Champions in the true sence of the word are players that achived in all areas of the game. Michael Long not only was an amazing footballer on the feild (by the way in that list, you forgot a couple of other aboriginal greats, Winmar, McAdem, Burnes, Barry Cabel, Kickett, Kickett, Andrew McLeod, the Materas But Michel Long also went above and beyond the call of dutie for Aborigal footballers and his people in general. Seeing you obviously cant remember that he was an abosolute genius cut down by injury as so many are. Champion is not just what you do in a game , but what you do with yourself with it.

Look at my list ...see the word McLeod? a hole.

And if you read properly i was just naming a few, not everyone, but thanks for further proving my point. Long is a lesser player than all those mentioned, and then some.

Read the very first post. I say he was a great person, but as a footballer he was overrated. And if you take time to read the general concensus here, you will see that it is you that is the moron.

So Long, in that theory should have stopped himself in mid-air, going into a contest...how the hell does that work?

What contest?????

Come on Pazza, everyone (including Long and Sheeds) know that was a complete dog act, and no fault of Simmonds. Simmonds was picking up a loose ball, no-one around him and he has every right to put his head over the ball as the rules protect this. Long lined him up from a mile away and charged at his head front on, absolute callous act, one of the worst seen in grand finals (throw in your mate Wallis - the king of weak acts in GF's...Hanna, Green and others).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back