CarterS

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 14, 2001
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lions
I think Michael Voss - the captain and champion of our club, deserved to and should have won the Norm Smith medal in both of our Grand Final wins.

In 2001 he had a solid game and kicked a brilliant snap from the boundary that ended up being the sealer, and in 2002 he was an inspiration, bouncing back up from that bump to feed off to Black who goaled amoung other things.

What do you think.

I always knew that QLD would one day have another player, with the class, skills and leadership that Wally Lewis had possessed. Back then I never would of dreamed he'd be playing AFL.

VOSS FOR PREMIER !!!!

In 2001, there were a few players ahead of Voss. Hart, Lappin, Johnson for starters all could have got the award, and then I reckon Voss was about level pegging with Brown, Michael, and a few others. Voss's game was good, but not as spectacular as that of Hart, Lappin and Johnson IMO.

If Lynch had kicked straight in 2001, he would have had it in the bag easily. For what it's worth, both Mr.Ripper and I picked S.Hart as the Norm Smith winner at the end of the game.

In 2002, Voss was probably our best player, and certainly was the catalyst for the tough finish that our team managed to put together for the win. He would have been a deserved winner, but once again there were quite a number of players who all could have won.

I thought Buckley was a worthy winner, although, you could have had quite a few worthy winners on the day.

I picked Hart to win it in before the anouncement, so I am quite comfortable with him getting it in 2001.

Vossy was good on the day but not at his best. From memory he missed targets (team-mates) a few times with his kicking and actually had one horrible clanger(most un-Vosslike).

The player who I thought was the most stiff in 2001 was Johhno. He had a blinder and never put a foot wrong all day. After I watched the replay later that evening, I thought the decision between him and Harty must have been eveb more line-ball than I first thought.

As for 2002, I still think Voss was robbed and to an equal extent, Keating,

Still, Buckley DID play an excellent game, so it was not completely an outrageous decision.

Originally posted by CarterS

I think Michael Voss - the captain and champion of our club, deserved to and should have won the Norm Smith medal in both of our Grand Final wins.

In 2001 he had a solid game and kicked a brilliant snap from the boundary that ended up being the sealer, and in 2002 he was an inspiration, bouncing back up from that bump to feed off to Black who goaled amoung other things.

I don't know what game you watched in 2001 but Voss was no-where near our best. The Norm Smith that year was a toss of a coin between Johno and Hart. I reckon Johno should've got it (but that may just be the old Fitzroy in me).

This years GF was different although Voss played a good game I still don't think he was the best on the ground. The only reason why Collingwood stayed in the fight all day was because of Buckley and he was a deserving winner.

The last 2 Norm Smith's have gone to the right people. If you want one that went to the wrong person look back to 2000 when pretty boy Hird won it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by Slax

I don't know what game you watched in 2001 but Voss was no-where near our best. The Norm Smith that year was a toss of a coin between Johno and Hart. I reckon Johno should've got it (but that may just be the old Fitzroy in me).

This years GF was different although Voss played a good game I still don't think he was the best on the ground. The only reason why Collingwood stayed in the fight all day was because of Buckley and he was a deserving winner.

The last 2 Norm Smith's have gone to the right people. If you want one that went to the wrong person look back to 2000 when pretty boy Hird won it.

I thought Voss was good in 2001, as well as that as I said earlier he kicked the winning goal which was a brilliant snap from the boundary.

2002 he was an inspiration, bounced up from that bump in a brilliant play and kicked a couple of inspirational goals at the right times.

Let me put it this way, if he won the Norm Smith both years then you wouldn't say he didn't deserve to get them.

I thought Hart was a very good choice in 2001.

Buckley was very deserving this year, however in my view if it had have gone to a Brisbane player, I believe Keatings game was terrific. Not backed up by stats, but his ruck work was crucial, especially in the last quarter, when he just kept on belting the ball forward and constantly thwarting Collingwoods attempts to gain possession and attack.

Mind you if Pikey had not have been hurt in the second quarter, he would have walked it in.

Originally posted by joshhem
Vossy is for the team not individual acolades

Well what else has poor old Bucks got? They don't call him FIGJAM for nothing! Buckley is the only player I know that would rather a Brownlow than a premiership.

Fact: the year Buckley won the medal the norm smith rules were changed. Why? Because the judges had to select a winner 10 mins before the end of play...they picked Buckley and in the final 10 mins Voss had 5+ crucial touches that went a long way to winning the game. He should be a Norm Smith medalist.

Fact: the year Buckley won the medal the norm smith rules were changed. Why? Because the judges had to select a winner 10 mins before the end of play...they picked Buckley and in the final 10 mins Voss had 5+ crucial touches that went a long way to winning the game. He should be a Norm Smith medalist.
I thought it was 10 minutes into the last quarter they voted? Either way it's ridiculous. Voss should have won that year but at the end of the day he still won three flags so probably not right to complain.

Interesting bump too btw.

thanks for the bump comment - I thought it was odd the original post referred to 'both our grand final wins' before noting date of 2002.

2002 should have been Voss for the reasons noted above. Buckley might have kept Collingwood in the game for the first 3 and a bit quarters but Vossy carried us over the line the last 10 minutes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back