Minimum Bet Laws - Sports

Remove this Banner Ad

4THAWN

Club Legend
Mar 25, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Do you think there will ever be a time where MBL's are introduced in Australia for sports betting?

If so, when do you think this will happen? Or what will it take for this to occur?

Or is this just too far fetched of an idea?

Obviously racing has a deep connection to wagering, therefore it makes more sense for MBLs to be in place for racing vs other sports.

I don't hold much hope for sports MBLs to ever be implemented, although I do think in a perfect world they would exist.

Without getting into detail there's a few issues with sports betting vs horse racing. Richard Irvine was the driving force in establishing MBLs for the 3 racing codes, he's done a few podcasts which talk mainly about racing but touch on the sports betting challenges which can shed some light. Racing has a far stronger revenue link with betting and turnover than other sports, and with that came a stronger desire to implement change.

Not saying it won't happen but if it ever did it would likely be on base markets like H2H and possibly only certain sports.

Without getting into detail there's a few issues with sports betting vs horse racing. Richard Irvine was the driving force in establishing MBLs for the 3 racing codes, he's done a few podcasts which talk mainly about racing but touch on the sports betting challenges which can shed some light. Racing has a far stronger revenue link with betting and turnover than other sports, and with that came a stronger desire to implement change.

Not saying it won't happen but if it ever did it would likely be on base markets like H2H and possibly only certain sports.
Can you let me know the podcasts? I'd be interested to give them a listen.

Cheers.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Can you let me know the podcasts? I'd be interested to give them a listen.

Cheers.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
I'm not really sure what's on these ones, if not there just google him:

Racing has a far stronger revenue link with betting and turnover than other sports, and with that came a stronger desire to implement change.

I could see it happening with local sports like AFL & NRL. I don't know how they receive their product fees from all the "official" bookmakers at the moment but you could see the sporting bodies asking for a decent % of turnover eventually. Then when higher turnover benefits the sporting bodies more significantly than now they could pressure them to have minimum bet laws, at least for H2H and line where there is a lot of volume involved.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back