Mitch Clark

Remove this Banner Ad

This is actually sickening. The whole situation is absolutely heartbreaking. The fact that he goes to our only rival (even if the QBD rivalry is low atm) and the team that bases itself across the road is just s**t.

Collingwood overtly confirms its interest.

http://m.theage.com.au/breaking-news-sport/collingwood-confirm-interest-in-clark-20140920-3g7rw.html

Key quote from Bucks, if it accurately reflects Clark's thinking is:
"Mitch has been really clear in his communication to us that he doesn't want to leave Melbourne in the lurch, but his advice is that he needs a fresh environment," Buckley told ABC on Saturday.

Cheap words - let's see how hard he works for a Melbourne trade..

Given he turns 28 in October 2015 in football terms he will be 27 next year.

Hamish McIntosh is a much much more limited footballer than Mitch Clark.

Ultimately out of respect for Clark's mental health issues the Dees will most likely have to accept a lowball trade.

Given those same mental health issues the Pies seem a strange choice. There will be extreme pressure around Pieland if they fail to make the 8 next year for the second successive year in a row. The Hawks have a need for another genuine key forward to team with Roughy and seems a more settled environment.

Not really. At Collingwood, he won't be regarded as the central focus of the forward line, the man who is relied on to kick most of the goals - that nice little burden falls to Cloke.
Clark will be very much the 2nd forward and there are others such as Pendlebury, Swan etc who will take the media/fan focus away from Clark. Agree that the Hawks are more stable right now (than most of the competition) but they haven't made a real play for him anyway.

you could but who else has officially confirmed interest?
Nobody, most other clubs are better than that.

Season still going, trade week not for another fortnight and yet Buckley sticks his beak in and comments on the hopes and health of a player who is contracted at another club.

Season still going, trade week not for another fortnight and yet Buckley sticks his beak in and comments on the hopes and health of a player who is contracted at another club.

I presume you are also critical of Chris Scott for declaring his interest in Frawley?

So we can trade him to any one of the other 17 clubs (maybe not Brissie)?

Presumably. I'd give him the benefit of the doubt and think he's going to choose a club based off the best situation for his mental health. Having said that, he's not going about it the best way - he'd have been getting a lot less backlash if this was all transparent instead of rumours and innuendo.

I'm sure when he parks in the exact same parking spot, plays on the same home ground and trains in the same precinct as he did at Melbourne all will be fine.

You're suggesting the attitude and atmosphere at any two clubs are identical?

Not really. At Collingwood, he won't be regarded as the central focus of the forward line, the man who is relied on to kick most of the goals - that nice little burden falls to Cloke.
Clark will be very much the 2nd forward and there are others such as Pendlebury, Swan etc who will take the media/fan focus away from Clark. Agree that the Hawks are more stable right now (than most of the competition) but they haven't made a real play for him anyway.

The Pies need him so Cloke won't be the sole focus of the forward line. They have no other options of Clark's quality to do that. Darcy Moore may be on the list n 2015 but history tells us that he will take time to develop.

More broadly there will be enormous pressure on everyone at Collingwood if they don't make the 8 next year particularly given the Malthouse sacking and the relationship between McGuire and Buckley.

Of course a fit and healthy Mitch Clark could be the difference between the Pies missing the 8 or making the 8.

If he's not fit for one AFL environment then he's not fit for any.

Not all clubs are the same - otherwise the Dees wouldn't be trying to import the Sydney Bloods culture. Or why everyone raves about Geelong's strong environment and Hawthorn's family club culture. In case you haven't noticed these are examples of very successful environments

I presume you are also critical of Chris Scott for declaring his interest in Frawley?
Scott only spoke about what they wanted, not what Chip wants.

Same doesn't apply here.

The Pies need him so Cloke won't be the sole focus of the forward line. They have no other options of Clark's quality to do that. Darcy Moore may be on the list n 2015 but history tells us that he will take time to develop.

More broadly there will be enormous pressure on everyone at Collingwood if they don't make the 8 next year particularly given the Malthouse sacking and the relationship between McGuire and Buckley.

Of course a fit and healthy Mitch Clark could be the difference between the Pies missing the 8 or making the 8.

Spot on - and assuming Darcy Moore is good, I don't see him as a forward anyway (notwithstanding that it'll take him till 2017 to realise his talent).
Agree about the pressure on us next year. My point is that Clark won't have to carry this on his own. While our list is youngish, we aren't totally raw. Players like Clark, Dawes and Cross/Vince this year were brought in to help support the youngsters on your list, and avoid situations were kids like Jack Trengrove had to play pivotal roles whilst still learning the AFL caper

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Genuine question - is Clark contracted or just on the list? I thought there had been a payout?

Still contracted to MFC. AFL should be all over this, and probably will be after the GF. There should also be a duty of care by the AFL if he is health enought to even play AFL football. Did Collingwood talk him around behind the MFC back ? He should of informed the MFC that he is talking to other clubs about coming out of retirement first. Image if a Collingwood player did this.

Given he turns 28 in October 2015 in football terms he will be 27 next year.

Hamish McIntosh is a much much more limited footballer than Mitch Clark.

Ultimately out of respect for Clark's mental health issues the Dees will most likely have to accept a lowball trade.

Given those same mental health issues the Pies seem a strange choice. There will be extreme pressure around Pieland if they fail to make the 8 next year for the second successive year in a row. The Hawks have a need for another genuine key forward to team with Roughy and seems a more settled environment.

Yeah fair enough on his age, I thought he was a year older then what he is. I'm not sure how limited Clark will be with 2 years off with injury and the depression is a double whammy. For any club picking him up would be high risk but high reward if it payed off.
As to the club he chooses, personally I think Freo would be the best place for him surrounded by family for support and with Pavlich and Sandilands close to the end he could be quite useful there. I'm not sure if he wants to come to Collingwood. He many however feel that Collingwood would be a good place to go on the back of info he has heard second hand. Clark use to train with Chris Tarrant when he first came to Melbourne. Chris loved the Pies with a passion and probably talked a lot about them. I also assume money isn't his main motivating factor he could have made good money simply by staying on Melbourne's list and turning up to training or rehab.

Still contracted to MFC. AFL should be all over this, and probably will be after the GF. There should also be a duty of care by the AFL if he is health enought to even play AFL football. Did Collingwood talk him around behind the MFC back ? He should of informed the MFC that he is talking to other clubs about coming out of retirement first. Image if a Collingwood player did this.

I wouldn't be happy either. But (a) from my understanding I don't think anything illegal has been done and (b) I'd like to think that if the situation were reversed we'd try to make the best out of the situation.
Rather than worrying about the morals of the whole thing, I'd be hoping Collingwood simply try to get the best deal done eg getting a young mid plus a draft pick

Surely the AFL will not let him burn a third club. Seems he is scared to ever finish what he starts. Not too sure on this, but should have Collingwood asked permission to the MFC to talk to one of their contracted players first ? Think Pert was upset about how all this all went down also.

Surely the AFL will not let him burn a third club. Seems he is scared to ever finish what he starts. Not too sure on this, but should have Collingwood asked permission to the MFC to talk to one of their contracted players first ? Think Pert was upset about how all this all went down also.

Where was this reported/speculated?

Demonland I think, but it was reported somewhere. I also found out in the same report that Pert and Roo's are good mates aswell, hence breakfast with Harry O and Roo's only hours after it was reported. Possibly arranged by Pert. Anycase, back to Mitch.. He has burnt 3 clubs not 2...Bris, Freo and now Melb.
Surely the AFL have to do there own medical tests on this player before allowing him to be drafted so soon after his retirement due to his health.

Lumumba met with Roos and he still has a year to go on his contract. The AFL should be all over this. Did Melbourne talk him around behind the CFC back? Imagine if a Melbourne player did this. ;)

Lumumba met with Roos and he still has a year to go on his contract. The AFL should be all over this. Did Melbourne talk him around behind the CFC back? Imagine if a Melbourne player did this. ;)

Hadn't both clubs finished their seasons?
It's not as if MFC was talking to Lumumba in season - ala Chris Scott/James Frawley.
If the AFL could sting the Demons, don't worry they'd be all over it.
How dare a weaker side try and interfere with the success of a big, strong club like Collingwood.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back