Toast Morabito tracking thread

Remove this Banner Ad

PEEL THUNDER
Brendon Jones – 15
Anthony Morabito – 14
Hayden Crozier – 13
Matt de Boer – 11
Jacob Ballard – 8

Morabito the highest Freo player in Sandover voting.

Interesting to note Ballard, after all his "dominance", polled the least.

Funny Ballard didnt poll well.. pretty much similar stats to those in the top 5 and his disposal cant be any worse than the likes of Shane "Priddis" Nelson

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Considering the smashing season that Peel had this season (i.e. they got smashed pretty much every game), I'm surprised Freo players polled any votes. I wouldn't use that as a very accurate guide to Ballard's ability & consistency. It's just awesome for the guys that did poll a bit that they must've had some pretty standout games.

Interesting to note Ballard, after all his "dominance", polled the least.

I'm not sure anyone has suggested he was 'dominant' at any stage, but he was pretty damn impressive for a 1st year rookie. His consistency was what impressed me.

I have to stop reading our trade rumours thread - my head is starting to hurt.

Anyway, thought we could discuss Mora.

Where does everyone see Mora fitting into the squad for 2015? If he's in the best 22 who do you think he will replace?

Unfortunately the Saints game left a sour taste in everyone's mouth. Hopefully he can get over his knee injury, get a full preseason in and build his tank. Personally I'd like us to drop the tagger role (Sorry Crowls) and add another offensive midfielder into the side. Mzungu can perform a 'run with' role if one of the opposition players is causing too much damage.

The next question would be "Is Mora going to be the one to step up?" He's going to be competing with Sherro, Suban, De Boer & Sylvia for a spot in the midfield. Maybe Ross tries out Crozier, Walters, Sutty in the midfield. Point being is we have a lot of players trying to break into the squad, he could well be in for another season with Peel.

Where does everyone see Mora fitting into the squad for 2015? If he's in the best 22 who do you think he will replace?

Personally I'd like us to drop the tagger role (Sorry Crowls) and add another offensive midfielder into the side. Mzungu can perform a 'run with' role if one of the opposition players is causing too much damage.

The next question would be "Is Mora going to be the one to step up?"

I hope Mora becomes our Malceski. Distributing out of the backline. Looks after his knee too as he can run in straight lines. Adds depth where we sorely need it.

Watering down of the tagging role - can't see it happening under Ross. I don't see tagging as the lowest hanging fruit. Given we're unlikely to bring in experienced KP's, that's what I see as our most pressing of needs in development.

Stepping up - hopefully Morra and many others do as well down at Peel. The success of the Box Hill Hawks is another string in the bow for them.

Possibly, but who does he replace in our backline. We already don't have a spot for Ibbotson. Barring injury how does he get a game ahead of:

Macca Johnson Dawson
Sutcliffe Spurr Duffield Ibbotson

Add to that the need to get some game time into our younger generation defenders (Alex Pearce)

I'm still keeping my expectations of Mora pretty low. Not so much to avoid dispointment if it doesn't turn out, it's more that I legitimately feel that he's still got a fair way to go.

FWIW, if he can have a similar season to the one Crozier has just had, i.e. tentative games here and there, but strong finish where he genuinely contributes to us some way, I'd say that's a massive win.

Watering down of the tagging role - can't see it happening under Ross. I don't see tagging as the lowest hanging fruit. Given we're unlikely to bring in experienced KP's, that's what I see as our most pressing of needs in development.
Wouldn't be surprised if we might show a bit of interest in Taylor Hunt, I thought he was quite effective as a tagger but the Cats moved away from 'tagging'.

Wouldn't be surprised if we might show a bit of interest in Taylor Hunt, I thought he was quite effective as a tagger but the Cats moved away from 'tagging'.

Finally! I've been saying this for ages.

I agree, Hunt is not only a great stopper but also got involved when Geelong had the ball.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back