Murph moves to #7 on games played list

Remove this Banner Ad

Chris Grant, of all people, wore a helmet, plus half a truckload of shoulder strapping, in the game in 05 (I think) where we played Melb at the MCG and White got that dodgy free against Skipper to steal the game. Grant played in defence, had a fractured cheek bone, stuffed shoulder, gout and frostbite leading up to the game, but still played his heart out.

Michael Egan wore one towards the end of his career in the mid 80s.

There was someone else who wore a helmet briefly, can't remember who though. Michael McKenna perhaps, or maybe that was after he moved to Richmond?

There was also a dodgy free kick against Hargrave in this game. Maybe I am confusing the two.

Yep definitely had me lol

Perhaps we should guess who the other 250 gamers are for us? Lol.

Boydy (apparently 12th now according to Ivan), Libba Snr, Murph and Wallis Snr are the others. Who are the other two?

I believe Bluey Zarsoff played an impeccable 312 games for the doggies mainly under captain-coach Izzy Foreal between 1884-1902

Need more defenders :D Grant and EJ will be wresting for that CHB spot, not sure if FB will be any good for.them though.

Quite a few ruckman/ruck-fwds in there also. Be a tall team IIRC.

B: Gilbee Grant Dempsey
HB: Wallis Whitten Smith
C: Hawkins West Eagleton
HF: Cooney Darcy Murphy
F: Johnson Morrison Gia
R: Wynd Boyd Liber
I/C: Cross Olliver

Tough to pick, as some of them played theie best (or longest) footy in other positions.

Grant could hold down FB, Dempsey played BP on resting ruckmen for Victoria many times.
Whitten could be played anywhere, but team is short of KPDs, and Grant more suited to FB,
so EJ is CHB.
Hawkins, Eagleton, Cooney, Murph, Johnson, Gia, Boyd could have been named in numerous
possies as well, but this combination works ok.
Morrison was a forward for most of his career (and ultimately played in as many positions as
EJ, including FB in 1946 finals when he was 38!)
Wynd only has two positions in this team, and one is resting on the bench!
Cross and Olliver give some flexibility, Arthur could go to FF or into the ruck, Morrison to BP
to allow Dempsey to ruck. Of course Cooney could pinch-hit in the ruck as well!
4 Brownlows (5 if you include Grant), 12 captains, 3 coaches, numerous B&Fs, AAs, leading goalkickers,
and every decade of our VFL/AFL history covered.
All Vics, bar Eagle and Cooney (Darcy considers himself a Vic, as does Crossy I think).

Not a bad line-up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back