My Movie Marathon - from 1969 to the current day

Remove this Banner Ad

So, to start the New Year off I'm doing a classic movie marathon. Starting at 1970 and watching a movie every day or three. I'm gradually going to work chronologically through the years.

Anyone up for it? Interested to hear your thoughts on the movies or suggestions etc.

Movies:

Re: My Movie Marathon - from 1970 the current day

1970 - Little Big Man.

I remember seeing this when I was about 20 & being blown away by Dustin Hoffman's performance. Absolutely brilliant. Not a bad story either.

Gimme Shelter is a great film about the 69 Rolling Stones tour to the US. The sobering part is the Altemont massacre.

Or if you wanted one of the worst films ever made, Myra Breckinridge. An awful adaptation of a pretty rancid Gore Vidal novel.

1971 is pretty rich for choice.

A Clockwork Orange

The French Connection

Dirty Harry

The Last Picture Show

Each of them brilliant films.

Or you could try And Now For Something Completely Different or 200 Motels.

1971 is pretty rich for choice.

A Clockwork Orange

The French Connection

Dirty Harry

The Last Picture Show

Each of them brilliant films.

Or you could try And Now For Something Completely Different or 200 Motels.

1971 was a top year. I watched the French Connection a couple of days ago. Brilliant movie.

Not interested in bad movies... too much of that going around.

Start the year before: Age of Consent

James Mason & Helen Mirren (lovely set of headlights when she was about 18???)

Yeah, nice idea. The last year of the 60s... optimism going into the toughness of the 70s.

1971 was a top year. I watched the French Connection a couple of days ago. Brilliant movie.

Not interested in bad movies... too much of that going around.
I can understand why you're not interested in the crud, but I just had to throw in Myra Breckinridge for the sheer awfulness of the film.

I'm a huge fan of Gore Vidal. Palimpsest was a a great book.

But onto 1969...

You get Midnight Cowboy, Easy Rider, the Wild Bunch...

I'm a huge fan of Gore Vidal. Palimpsest was a a great book.

But onto 1969...

You get Midnight Cowboy, Easy Rider, the Wild Bunch...
Yes, pretty good choice there too.

I (finally) saw Easy Rider a couple of years ago. You can see where George W got some of his ideas from.

The Naked Bunyip good bit of Aussie slap & tickle.

Patton George C. was very special in this war epic.

The Challenge a largely unknown anti-war movie where the USA & some Asian country, instead of going to war, has the issue settled by one champion each on an island fighting to the death. To the victor go the spoils.

Kelly's Heroes a bit of irreverent nonsense, but it is fun.

Waterloo not a bad effort for something that needed to be epic.

Sole Survivor proves no-one can escape past wrongs and today's ghosts.

A Man Called Horse one of my favourites which retains the dignity for the native Americans

Too Late the Hero war sucks and so do some of the soldiers.

Cromwell a movie with a mixed reputation, but one worth watching.

Colossus: The Forbin Project long before The Terminator or War Games there was Colossus.

The Ballad of Tam Lin is a WTF am I watching & what is happening kind of movie, Ava Gardner is of course lovely.

Tora! Tora! Tora! aint a bad attempt at being even handed over the Pearl Harbor attack.

Love Story yes it's corny cliche driven drivel but the girls love it.

Rio Lobo not a bad Duke movie, if you like Duke movies.

The Italian Job and Andre Roublev, which I've never seen but is always one of those films you're supposed to see.
Yes, The (original) Italian Job is an excellent film. Noel Coward is in his element in a gaol full of young men.

Nice list, Asgardian. I remember Cromwell was pretty heavy going. Richard Harris was very good in it, though.

George C Scott is fabulous as Patton. An absolute masterclass.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Johnny Got His Gun one of the great anti-war movies

Duel Spielberg can certainly make a hell of a good movie

The Battle of Okinawa another forgotten movie worth the time & effort.

Fiddler on the Roof Topol makes his mark.

The Tragedy of Macbeth Polanski's effort is breathtaking.

Get Carter tough dirty Pommy bastards all round, what a great movie.

The Hellstrom Chronicle the make-believe doco that frightened plenty.

The Andromeda Strain slow, deliberate and sometimes awkward but I do love this movie.

The Big Boss who can resist Bruce Lee in the ice factory?

THX 1138 some wonderful Lucas ideas.

The Reluctant Heroes largely unknown off-beat Korean war movie.

The Omega Man the last man on Earth (well not quite) with Heston.

Dirty Harry great cop movie

Just realised I didn't read the OP correctly and we weren't up to 1973 yet...:eek:

So back onto 1971-1972, here are some other great ones from those years:

Duel Low-budget it is, but an excellent psychological thriller from Spielberg - definitely worth a watch.
Roman Polanski's Macbeth - If you're into Shakespeare at all, very sinister film adaptation.
The original Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.

The Poseidon Adventure
The Mechanic (Charles Bronson classic)
Way of the Dragon (Chuck Norris and Bruce Lee's epic showdown in the colosseum)

This is a fantastic idea by the way!

That Johnny got His gun film was the one that Metallica took footage from for the film-clip. Dark and disturbing stuff. I have wanted to see that for a long time. With the net having everything, i should follow suit and watch it also.

Oh, and when you get to 1975, you have no choice but The Rocky horro Picture Show. If you haven't seen it, you must, if you have seen it, you must refresh your memory!!!

No point in suggesting anything else, I'm not a movie buff. But when you get to it, Mongol (a recent film) and Apocalypto are my only suggerstions.

I did 1988 last night. Beetlejuice!

Easy rider it is. Mrs Grizzlym is keen to watch again, so off we go shortly.

The road movie for the Beat Generation with Dennis Hopper astride a chopper. Looking forward to it.

Easy Rider was a fascinating film, not only from a cinematic level, but for its depiction of biker lifestyle and the generation of bikers that it influenced. The Oz bike film from '70 'stone' is also well worth checking out.

I second the vote for THX1138, great story with a very strong cast, that film is an all time classic.

A few other suggestions:
'72 Sleuth
'73 The Exorcist
'75 The man who would be king

BTW - If you have already drifted back to '69 you should go back another year and watch Space Oddyssey, that was ground breaking stuff when it was released.

I second the vote for THX1138, great story with a very strong cast, that film is an all time classic.

That's George Lucas 'aint it? Never seen it but heard about it.

Been a little delayed getting things underway properly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back