Def
Richmond: 16.8.104
Tanner Alderson Statistics:
Possessions: 19​
Marks: 7 marks (5 Contested)
Goals: 6​
Behinds: 3​

Metro%20Solar.jpg

At the end of his debut season, Tanner Alderson, the gun First Year Forward for the Tigers has joined us to give his thoughts on his first season of AFL football. He chats with Matthew Richardson.

First of all, Tanner. Congratulations on what was a fantastic debut season for yourself. You must be pretty happy with it.

Absolutely, Richo. As I said before the season, I didn't really set myself a goal to make my senior debut in 2012. I knew that it was going to take some pretty good form in the VFL and a few goals to crack into the senior lineup. Dimma and Choco outlined the fact that I needed to work on a few things, including my fitness and goalkicking, and I worked on it hard during the pre season, staying back after the main training session with Colin Stannett (Forward Coach) to work on areas of my kicking that I could improve, and just practiced my goalkicking. I also worked closely with Dean Bailey (Fitness Coach) on my running and endurance. I think the games I did play this year was reward for effort.

Reward for effort, or some fantastic form for Coburg in the VFL?

I think it was a bit of both. I obviously worked hard on the training track and gave my all, however, there is only so much you can prove on the training track. On the training track, when you are in simulated match conditions, you are playing on a defender you train with every day. You know their weaknesses, and you know their strengths, so you are able to exploit them to a certain extent because you know their patterns and behaviours. Troy (Chaplin) prefers to go Body on Body and get front position giving him a chance to intercept the ball, so I would get on the lead and be a hit up target. Alex (Rance) is the opposite to Chaplin in that he hates being caught in a body on body contest, preferring to play on Leadup forwards, because he has elite closing speed. When I play on Rance, I try and play that bullocking, strong, wrestling forward. That is at training, but when you are playing in a sate league, you don't know much about the player you will lineup on. you don't know their strengths, or weaknesses and have to adapt your gameplan accordingly. Some people can do this, and some people can't. I like to think I am one who can. I think that is why I had a pretty good stint at Coburg. I could adapt quickly. As much as I can adapt to different situations, it doesn't mean much if I didn't put in the effort, and because of the effort I showed, I managed to get on the end of a few at VFL level.

You certainly did get on the end of a few. 23 goals in 5 games, and 21 in your last 4. They are some impressive figures, especially for a 17 year old.

The first thing Dimma said to us (First Year Players) before our first games for Coburg is that effort doesn't go unrewarded. If you go when you have to go, and do the things you need to do, reward will come to you, and not always in the way you expect. He also said that a successful AFL player isn't someone who does the flashy stuff and executes it 50% of the time, but someone who does the simple things right 100% of the time. He said that you can have all the talent in the world, but it if you don't have the right attitude, it all means nothing. I took this on board, and played the game, trying to do the simple things, such as leading to the ball carrier and applying pressure, and I managed to get on the end of a few goals through hard work and effort, and ultimately, managed to break through for a few senior games.

That is some pretty sound advice from Dimma. You managed to break through for more than a few games. You managed to play 16 games, and more importantly, kicked 43 goals. How did you find your first season of AFL level football.

It was pretty tough, Richo, I have to admit. It was tough, but worth it. As you would know, it's tough being a first year Key Position forward. Your body is still developing and you have to play on experienced defenders who target you, specifically, because of your age and inexperience. It is a rough initiation, much rougher than if I were a midfielder, where you get respite on the bench frequently. Despite that, it was really rewarding. I got roughed up a bit, but Tyrone and Jack managed to keep the defenders a bit more accountable and Kingy had my back when they were hassling me. I kept my work rate up, and managed to get on to the end of a couple of goals a game. It is quite different to local and state level football. The professionalism and dedication required took a while to get used to and for the first few weeks, I found myself in bed by 7.30, because of the physical demands. I have gotten used to it though, and am finding myself reaping the benefits of such a physical training regime.

And what are your hopes for 2013?

After 2012, I just hope to continue my development, both as a player and as a member of the Richmond Football Club. This year we were disappointed with the year, and where we finished at the end of the season. In 2013, we hope we can climb the ladder and take us back into the finals for the first time in a while. From a personal point of view, I just hope I can continue contributing to the team.

And what are your plans for the off season?

We get a few weeks break from the club to unwind and I am flying back to South Australia to catch up with family and friends. I have found it a little tough being away from them for such an extended period of time, but I know they support me one hundred percent. I will stay there for a week or two, and then will fly back over here and get stuck into off season training with the other first second and third year players.

Well, thanks for sharing your thoughts, Tanner. We hope that 2012 was just a sign of things to come for the Richmond faithful.

Thanks very much, Richo.

Tanner Alderson Season Statistics:
Possessions: 207 (12.93 per game)
Contested Marks: 54 (3.37 per game)
Uncontested Marks: 16 (1 per game)
Goals: 43 (2.69 per game)
Behinds: 18 (1.13 per game)

2013 NAB Cup:
Round 1 V Melbourne:
Possessions: 20​
Marks: 8 (4 Contested)
Goals: 0​
Behinds: 2​
Round 2 V North Melbourne:
Possessions: 22​
Marks: 5 (3 Contested)​
Goals: 2​
Round 3 V Melbourne:
Possessions: 14​
Marks: 3 (1 Contested)​
Goals: 4​
Behinds: 1​

Round 1 V West Coast:
Tanner Alderson selected at FF:​
Richmond: 17.7.109
Def.
West Coast: 15.11.101
Marks: 3 (1 Contested)

Round 2 V St. Kilda:
Tanner Alderson selected at FF.​
Richmond: 11.12.78
Def. By
St. Kilda: 19.6.120
Possessions: 21​
Marks: 10 (9 Contested)
Goals: 3​

Round 3 V Geelong:
Geelong: 18.4.112
Def.
Richmond: 16.10.106​
Marks: 6 (5 Contested)
Goals: 3​

Round 4 V Adelaide:
Richmond: 12.9.81
Def. By
Adelaide: 15.10.100
Possessions: 16​
Marks: 4 (2 Contested)​

Round 5 V Western Bulldogs:
Tanner Alderson selected at FF​
Western Bulldogs: 20.6.126
Def.
Richmond: 13.10.88
Possessions: 18​
Marks: 6 (4 Contested)
Goals: 5​
Behinds: 4​

Round 6 V Port Adelaide:
Richmond: 16.13.109
Def.
Port Adelaide: 15.6.96
Possessions: 21
Marks: 7 (3 Contested)
Goals: 7​
Behinds: 5​

(Log in to remove this ad.)

BYE
Round 8 V Melbourne:
Melbourne: 12.12.84
Def. By
Richmond: 17.9.111
Marks: 6 (4 Contested)
Goals: 6​
Behinds: 1​

That's just how mine worked out. I waited until the draft and made a story with my first pick. I'm sure you could do it with anyone. A Rookie draft pick might work well, too.

Rookie Draft would be harder as they are either hit or miss, well at least on TAR and FFFX. Premiership Coach you pretty much know what you're going to get. You don't mind if I do one do you? I don't want to steal your idea for this. :)

Rookie Draft would be harder as they are either hit or miss, well at least on TAR and FFFX. Premiership Coach you pretty much know what you're going to get. You don't mind if I do one do you? I don't want to steal your idea for this. :)

No, go ahead :) I don't mind at all.

Round 9 V Essendon:
Essendon: 18.10.118
Def.
Richmond: 14.9.93
Marks: 4 (4 Contested)
Goals: 5​

Round 10 V Carlton:
Richmond: 10.12.72
Def. By
Carlton: 11.16.82
Tanner Aldserson Statistics:
Possessions: 18​
Marks: 8 (6 Contested)
Behinds: 5​

Round 11 V Sydney:
Sydney: 14.12.96
Def. By
Richmond: 18.6.114
Marks: 6 (5 Contested)
Goals: 8​

Round 12 V Fremantle:
Richmond: 18.8.116
Def.
Fremantle: 18.7.115
Marks: 4 (2 Contested)

Round 13 V North Melbourne:
North Melbourne: 18.5.113
Def. By
Richmond: 18.7.115​
Possessions: 21​
Marks: 8 (8 Contested)
Behinds: 0​

Round 14 V Hawthorn:
Tanner Alderson selected at FF:​
Richmond: 14.11.95
Def. By
Hawthorn: 17.9.111
Marks: 4 (2 Contested)

Round 15 V Collingwood:
Collingwood: 16.11.107
Def. By
Richmond: 17.7.109
Possessions: 15​
Marks: 5 (4 Contested)

Round 16 V Gold Coast:
Richmond: 14.8.92
Def. By
Gold Coast: 16.10.106
Possessions: 9​
Marks: 4 (3 Contested)

Tanner Alderson Injured:
19 Year Old Gun Richmond Full Forward, Tanner Alderson has suffered an achilles strain at training on Wednesday afternoon and is expected to miss 3 games. Alderson suffered the strain at training, when doing forward structure training, and changed direction laterally when leading. Club Doctor Austin Johnson said that it was just a slight sprain, and they are taking every precaution to ensure that no extra damage can be inflicted, and would only bring Alderson back when he was 100% fit.​

Remove this Banner Ad

Back