My reasons on why we must get rid of Mark Thompson.

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 28, 2005
Here and there
AFL Club
Geelong
Ok here is what i think is needed and why.

Now before i say this i can qualify myself by saying that i have played over 200 games of local football so i sort of know what i am talking about when it comes to football, while i dont admit to being an expert my opinions are not from someone who has not played the game, i have so i know what happens.

I believe oour problem firmly lies within the coaching staff. Yes i agree to a certain extent that the players on the field are the ones who ultimately win or lose but i have some serious questions for the coach. I will start with a few from Saturday as an example.

Why was Mooney moved from centre half forward? He was the reason we played so well, he gave us a target and straightened us up. And i dont buy the he went into defence to cover for Harley line either.

Why did Ling not keep tagging Embley in the last quarter and a bit?

Why was Rooke not on Cousins in the last quarter?

Why was Kerr not stopped in the last quarter?

Why did we start chipping it around?

So many questions, probably will remain unanswered. But a lot of these things above lay at the feet of Mark Thompson. These are just from one game, in most games he has done some starange things.

Why does Joel Corey play across half back when he is a great on baller and good at clearences where we have been poor.

Now in my football career i have seen some bad coaches and when the players dont like the coach they play poorly. In a situation like Saturday it is the coach who must help guide the players and DO SOMETHING if a team gets a run on like the Eagles did.

Bomber has done too many wrong things this year to remain as coach.

He has had 7 years, long enough. The boys need a new voice, a coach they want to play for.

Also the fitness issue, we are clearly not fit enough, the amount of lost last quarters is evidence of that. That is the coaches fault.

Now i hear a lot of people say sacking the coach doesnt solve anything. Well i beg to differ. A couple of examples.

Adelaide - Got rid of that hack Ayres and bring in Neil Craig, no major list change and have a look now.

Sydney - Again no major list change. Premiers.

It can work, a coach who has been there a while gets stale sometimes and the players stop responding to what he says. They learn to know how they can gt away with taking shortcuts. A new coach can bring enthusiasm and players need to prove to the new coach tjey can play. There are so many positives for us by getting a new coach, what are the positives for keeping Thompson. Not many. What will change? not much.

We need to right off this season, get some quality kids, a tall forward in addition to Hawkins, a bit of speed and get rid of a few who have no future.

Hard decisions need to be made, i think from how i heard Costa speaking on the weekend he may realise this to, hopefully he can see the benefits of change. I know i can.

The Hulkster
Geelong Supporter.

Why are you always so negative Hulkster ????

Scottydeewah reckons we should be happy with what we have been given.

Personally Hulkster for President.

at least you have thought about it and given some valid points. I also notice that you are not on the "lets delist, trade, drop every player" bandwagon. I completely agree that it isnt our list and the coaching staff should probably be looked at. WC, Sydney, Adelaide or all prime examples of teams that have had a new lease on life from a new coach recently.

scottydeewah said:
at least you have thought about it and given some valid points. I also notice that you are not on the "lets delist, trade, drop every player" bandwagon. I completely agree that it isnt our list and the coaching staff should probably be looked at. WC, Sydney, Adelaide or all prime examples of teams that have had a new lease on life from a new coach recently.

Are you ladies going to stop bitching and moaning yet?

Your both entitled to your opinion, but this was a very well thoughtout topic and you guys are turning it into a slanging match.

Give the topic the credit it deserves. :thumbsu: Hulk although i am not convinced that sending Bomber packing is the answer. If he does go, who do we get? For the first time in a number of years, there is coach knocking at the doors ready to jump onboard. Evidently,our assistants are not ready to take over.

There are very few options, We dont want Ayres back, Blighty does not have the passion, Harvey is ready to jump into the Freo top job so who is remaining? IMO, bomber is is the best option at this stage. If i was in Costa's shoes, i would honour this years contact and review the situation at years end.

Maybe Matt Spencer could Captain Coach us to the 2007-8 flags?

I think that if you are going to say sack a coach or delist/trade a player you need to say WHY. I have tried to say why i feel the way i do, you dont have to agree, it is just my opinion.

Also i think Bomber will be coach for the remainder of the year. But there is merit in maybe getting rid of him early however. Lets say Ken Hinkley coach for the rest of the year. At least that gives us a fair bit of time to find the BEST replacement. Remember Collingwood and Malthouse. There would be plenty of coaches wanting to coach Geelong.

Jack-Packenham said:
Why are you always so negative Hulkster ????

Scottydeewah reckons we should be happy with what we have been given.

Personally Hulkster for President.
I to Jack do not accept mediocrity. We must be ruthless if we want a flag, that is both on and off the field. We must no accept near enough is good enough anymore.

The Hulkster said:
I to Jack do not accept mediocrity. We must be ruthless if we want a flag, that is both on and off the field. We must no accept near enough is good enough anymore.

That is an excellent point.

Hypothetically speaking - and I'm not stirring anyone up or being a smartarse - if the team was to find form and go on a decent run and make the finals, what do you all think the club should do in regard to Bomber? Just interested in everyone's thoughts.

geelong_boy said:
That is an excellent point.

Hypothetically speaking - and I'm not stirring anyone up or being a smartarse - if the team was to find form and go on a decent run and make the finals, what do you all think the club should do in regard to Bomber? Just interested in everyone's thoughts.
Thats why we will probably wait till the end of the season. But in say 6 weeks if it gets no better. Well......

Hulkster you've hit every nail on the head with your post. Spot on!!

Sometimes I think bomber is the only GFC person (supporters included) at a game who isn't reading the play or seeing a trend happening until it is a quarter to late to do anything about it.

We don't need a big name (ala Neil Craig) we just need someone who is much more techincally effective then Bomber is. Surely that's not a hard task.

I'd like to see a stat for coaching clangers within a season because I'm sure Bomber would be at the apex of that list.

The Hulkster said:

I agree that Thompson should go at the end of the year, barring a complete turnaround in form. The question then becomes: who do we replace him with?

My vote (which I'm sure will draw a lot of flack) would be to give Ken Hinkley a run at the top job. My reasons?

1. Successful record. Coached Camperdown to back-to-back flags after they had won nothing for years. Coached Bell Post Hill to a flag after no success. They are only country teams, it is true, but you have to be a good players' coach to win in the country, relying on tactics and attitude rather than megastar players. He was assistant coach under Malcolm Blight (unfortunately only at St Kilda), and if Blighty rates him, he's worth a go.

2. Ex-Geelong player. The last ex-Geelong player to coach the side was John Devine in the '80's. It's about time another ex-player was given a chance, and Hinkley currently has better credentials than any other ex-player.

3. Young and innovative. Paul Roos at Sydney, John Worsfold and Alistair Clarkson have made big changes at their respective clubs and made a positive difference.

If not Hinkley, who else would people suggest?

yes magic, and thats because the boys stop running, because they have decided to slow the game down, which is a tactic that bomber has allowed...

http://gfc.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=270995

This would suggest that Bomber allows and maybe encourages the players to slow down and chip around. We all saw it, as soon as they started to do this, they missed passes, fumbled around and dropped easy marks, and a flood of goals for the eagles.

The problem is, as soon as you take on that mindset of slowing the tempo, your adrenaline and energy and even your alertness drop automatically. And when you've been working your ass off for half a game of football, you can't just switch it back on at will. It seems the players think they can slow down for 10-15 minutes and then be right back where they started....stupid. It doesnt work like that. Bomber and the whole coaching department have to wear that tactic that they have allowed the players to use.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Costa and Cook love Bomber so I wouldn't count on any sacking during the season and quite frankly I hope there isn't. As if there isn't enough turmoil at the club as there is. To be honest I think bomber will be coach until the end of 2007, but I guess if the din calling for his removal gets loud enough the club may act. As for who would replace him it is pointless discussing it until the season proper is over, and if bomber is relieved of command or walks.

I remember last year hearing F Costa going on about how the main thing they look for in our players is that they're good responsible, upstanding citizens and that they're from good upstanding families. Instead of good little boys I think we need some spark..some mongrel ...blokes to be feared (Jonathon Brown...Barry Hall...Dermie...Pickett.... all premiership players and GF performers). I'm sick of us being softies. Bomber mollicoddles them like good little boys too.....soft soft soft!!! Lets get some hard men and instil that culture. I hate it when they call us hand baggers but sometimes I must agree and it hurts.

scottydeewah said:
when wc draft a quality player like judd its.. hard not to utalise him well.. he is a class player... if u guys want bomber out.. bring back home.. we are all open arms (assistant coach) :D:D:D:D:D:D

Thompson wont be sacked before the end of the season, he will coach the rest of 2006. But I don't know about him being there in 2007. I agree with some people who have posted here, it is time for someone young, an ex-player to coach us. Also, I reckon Costa might leave at the end of this season too, I think he's getting too old for it. Could we lose Thompson and Costa in the same year?

Lindner Wazzagun said:
I remember last year hearing F Costa going on about how the main thing they look for in our players is that they're good responsible, upstanding citizens and that they're from good upstanding families. Instead of good little boys I think we need some spark..some mongrel ...blokes to be feared (Jonathon Brown...Barry Hall...Dermie...Pickett.... all premiership players and GF performers). I'm sick of us being softies. Bomber mollicoddles them like good little boys too.....soft soft soft!!! Lets get some hard men and instil that culture. I hate it when they call us hand baggers but sometimes I must agree and it hurts.

Cam Mooney, Soft? Jarad Rooke, Soft? Doubtful!

The problem is not that they are bloody soft.... pretty damn stupid statement.

They go in bloody Hard. Most of em.

The problem is Bomber seems to be unable to motivate them anymore, wont Talk to some players (Bartel), has faith in too many hacks (kinglsey, gardiner) and we need someone fresh once again.

Not to mention putting moons to CHF and loosing the game on the weekend. Disgrace.

volcboy said:
If not Hinkley, who else would people suggest?

Me! As an experienced bigfooty poster, I know the only way to appease fans is to make rash decisions in the heat of the moment. I will ALWAYS speak honestly at press conferences (even if it means undermining my own players), and at trade time I will make at least five trades, and completely overvalue all my draft picks.

When Thompson was a player, you would expect he learned from his mistakes. I think Sheedy would have taken him aside and pointed out errors and made sure he was aware of the deficiencies.
Is there a coach for the Coach? If he can learn and improve, then he can stay. If he continues to make the same errors as pointed out dutifully by the Hulkster, then he moves on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back