Draftee
Nov 15, 2010
Brisbane
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
East Perth, Liverpool, Kedron FC
AN OPEN LETTER TO OUR MEMBERS, BUSINESS PARTNERS AND SUPPORTERS
You may have heard about or read about the decision by the Western Australian Football Commission to progress the WAFL Club Partnering Agreements between our two WA based AFL Clubs and two local clubs.
Under the agreements East Perth will partner with the West Coast Eagles and Peel Thunder will partner with Fre- mantle.
Your Board believe the agreements are in the best interests of all WAFL Clubs and offer benefits to East Perth in underpinning our viability and sustainability.
The partnership process was inevitable once it became obvious that the Commission had determined the best course of action was for local partnerships rather than seeking an alternative second-tier competition for West Coast and Fremantle. Such an alternative would have involved irregular scheduling, extra travel and increased costs that could impact on the dividends WA football receives from the two AFL Clubs.
There were a number of WAFL clubs who showed interest in being aligned with the Eagles and Dockers.
We believe East Perth is well placed to manage the partnership arrangement effectively for both the Eagles and ourselves. We have learned from our previous experience under the “alignment” system.
Contrary to some speculation, we don’t expect the mix of local and external players in our senior squad to change significantly, if at all, under the new partnership. We will continue to develop our recruiting zones and we will still provide pathways for talented players to progress to the highest level.
Football in Western Australia is continually evolving and we firmly believe these partnerships will benefit all WAFL Clubs.
Equally important to our members and supporters, East Perth will remain East Perth. We will retain our own coaching and management structures.
And with your continued support, we will remain a force in Western Australian football.
[/quote]

"Your Board believe the agreements are in the best interests of all WAFL Clubs"

So a host club arrangement is now all of a sudden in the best interest of all 9 WAFL clubs, despite all 9 clubs originally being vehemently opposed to the idea? Why the complete backflip?

"There were a number of WAFL clubs who showed interest in being aligned with the Eagles and Dockers."

Well they sure as hell had no interest in an alignment in the beginning.

And even if 'a number of clubs' changed their mind, I'm sure they would have consulted their members first, sought their opinion and put it to a vote.

"We believe East Perth is well placed to manage the partnership arrangement effectively for both the Eagles and ourselves. We have learned from our previous experience under the “alignment” system."

The previous arrangement the club was involved in was only a partial alignment, whereby only the WCE interstate draftees were allocated to the club. Therefore it wasn't as difficult to get these 'interstate Eagles' to buy into the Royals culture and to respect the blue and black jumper. As Jeremy Barnard said back in 2000 "There are no Eagles here, there are no Victorians... just East Perth". Good luck now in convincing the East Perth faithful that the WCE draftees from Claremont, Subiaco, etc will be bleeding for the Royals, and that everyone will get along fine. That didn't exactly happen at Claremont or South Fremantle back in 1999 under a similar arrangement, did it?

"Contrary to some speculation, we don’t expect the mix of local and external players in our senior squad to change significantly, if at all, under the new partnership."

I'm sure as early as this afternoon once the host club arrangement was announced that some of the players were contacted by rival clubs.

Say goodbye to Paul Johnson, because West Coast will want their raw 18 year old beanpole playing first ruck. Say goodbye to Josh Smith, because West Coast will want the next Josh Kennedy or Jack Darling as the focal point up forward. Say goodbye to Wulffy, Swanny and Mat Seal. And a number of others.

"We will continue to develop our recruiting zones and we will still provide pathways for talented players to progress to the highest level."

The pathway into the East Perth league side is now severely restricted. The more common pathway that would-be Royals will take is to join a rival club for less-restrictive opportunities.

"Equally important to our members and supporters, East Perth will remain East Perth."

Actually now, in the hearts of many passionate Royals fans, East Perth will only remain "East Perth" in name only.

"We will retain our own coaching and management structures."

Yet will bow down to whatever West Coast tell you to do.

I think you have raised some very interesting points not the least being, "So a host club arrangement is now all of a sudden in the best interest of all 9 WAFL clubs, despite all 9 clubs originally being vehemently opposed to the idea? Why the complete backflip?
Methinks there will be a lot of s**t flying before this issue is finally resolved.:)

Well put! Surely the two new WAFL clubs won't be playing for Premiership points or participating in finals otherwise the WAFL is dead and buried

Perth, Peel and East Perth are hardly going to admit in front of the West Perth, South Fremantle and East Fremantle that they weren’t opposed to making alignments with the AFL clubs. They used the other clubs unnecessary opposition to stand alone teams to their advantage.

Perth, Peel and East Perth are hardly going to admit in front of the West Perth, South Fremantle and East Fremantle that they weren’t opposed to making alignments with the AFL clubs. They used the other clubs unnecessary opposition to stand alone teams to their advantage.
The three basketcases of the league

I for one welcome our new ant overlords

May the auroa of mutual respect hit you like nobody's business.

You should seek their help to assist you with your spelling.:)

The three basketcases of the league

Have you heard the old saying "people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones"?
Bronte said last night that he feels the WAFL cannot sustain 9 teams and there WILL be a merger - a prime candidate would be Swan Districts and Perth. How will you like being called the the Swan Demons and wearing red,black and white? Swan Districts are deep in financial trouble and Perth are selling players. There are a lot of WAFL clubs in strife. East Perth have still not been paid transfer fees for some players we released last year.
At least East Perth are assured of remaining East Perth with our colours, song,crest.

Have you heard the old saying "people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones"?
Bronte said last night that he feels the WAFL cannot sustain 9 teams and there WILL be a merger - a prime candidate would be Swan Districts and Perth. How will you like being called the the Swan Demons and wearing red,black and white? Swan Districts are deep in financial trouble and Perth are selling players. There are a lot of WAFL clubs in strife. East Perth have still not been paid transfer fees for some players we released last year.
At least East Perth are assured of remaining East Perth with our colours, song,crest.
LOL let me guess you also believe in Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny & the Tooth Fairy!! :rolleyes:
Let me spell it out to you- east perth no longer exist they are now known as the west coast royal eagles!

LOL let me guess you also believe in Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny & the Tooth Fairy!! :rolleyes:
Let me spell it out to you- east perth no longer exist they are now known as the west coast royal eagles!

Wrong again.
Tom Percy (if you don't know him, a well known Perth lawyer and Board member of East Perth) was asked the question about whether our identity would be lost. He replied that our constitution protects our name, our colours and logo and they cannot be changed except with a two thirds majority of our Members voting for change. He was also asked about whether we had to accept the Eagles appointed coach and said we could veto that in the same manner - although he doubts that will occur as during the last alignment we had no problems whatsoever with the Eagles.

Brian Dawson ( our new coach and ex Swans coach) said that in his time with Swans he had never had any problems with the Eagles re playing players etc but also said the Fremantle were often difficult to deal with.

It was also confirmed that five clubs approached the Eagles re the partnership so it seems a few WAFL Presidents are now crying foul because they were unsuccessful in their bids.

Royalsfan your club has sold its soul, doesn't matter what the EP Eagles achieve from now on it will always have an asterix against any Premierships it wins like your last host club flags.

Be interesting to see if the Eagles members get on board and support EP, i doubt it, they havn't supported the Wafl while their players have been running around the Wafl in the past and i reckon you will need them to make up for the s**t load of EP members who are going to pull the pin.

Royalsfan your club has sold its soul, doesn't matter what the EP Eagles achieve from now on it will always have an asterix against any Premierships it wins like your last host club flags.

Be interesting to see if the Eagles members get on board and support EP, i doubt it, they havn't supported the Wafl while their players have been running around the Wafl in the past and i reckon you will need them to make up for the s**t load of EP members who are going to pull the pin.

You seem to believe the urban myth that the three-peat was achieved on the backs of Eagles players (much like the myth that the Eagles inaugural side was a "state side"). The core nucleus of those side were players like David Swan, Jeremy Barnard, Rod Wheatley,Paul Ridley,Aaron Marley,Dean Brennan,Troy Butcher,Devan Perry,Caine Hayes,Travis Knights,Luke Webster,Brent Cowell,Andrew Waller,Ryan Turnbull. None of the East Perth teams in those Premierships had the number of AFL players that Claremont and East Fremantle fielded this year.
Why don't you ask yourself whether your club put it's hand up?
East Perth's membership increased during the last arrangement and the club feels it will again. I was at the meeting on Thursday night and by the mood in the room, there will not be a s**t load of members pulling the pin.

You seem to believe the urban myth that the three-peat was achieved on the backs of Eagles players (much like the myth that the Eagles inaugural side was a "state side"). The core nucleus of those side were players like David Swan, Jeremy Barnard, Rod Wheatley,Paul Ridley,Aaron Marley,Dean Brennan,Troy Butcher,Devan Perry,Caine Hayes,Travis Knights,Luke Webster,Brent Cowell,Andrew Waller,Ryan Turnbull. None of the East Perth teams in those Premierships had the number of AFL players that Claremont and East Fremantle fielded this year.
Why don't you ask yourself whether your club put it's hand up?
East Perth's membership increased during the last arrangement and the club feels it will again. I was at the meeting on Thursday night and by the mood in the room, there will not be a s**t load of members pulling the pin.

I have no doubt the PFC put its hand up, you only have to read Vince Pendals quote he sounded pretty annoyed that Perth didn't get the gig, and if they did end up with the host club situation i would of not renewed my membership and stopped supporting the club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have no doubt the PFC put its hand up, you only have to read Vince Pendals quote he sounded pretty annoyed that Perth didn't get the gig, and if they did end up with the host club situation i would of not renewed my membership and stopped supporting the club.

Fair enough. I respect your opinion re your own club. I would be more likely to not support East Perth if we were forced to merge with another club because our identity would then be lost, we would no longer be called East Perth or retain our beloved blue and black so I am thankful that we have this arrangement with the Eagles.

I think the WAFC favoured Perth for the gig for quite some time. However it seems the Eagles preferred East Perth and given Bronte was keen that's the way it went. If Bronte and the board had not agreed to the deal when they did (ie waiting a week or two to get member consultation) then there's a very good chance Perth would have been offered it and taken it.

I was one who was quite disdainful of the idea, however when you have the realities of WAFL finances explained to you without sugar coating you understand why they did it. EP's situation has been dire for a long time. If you recall we nearly closed up in the 80's and things have been more or less been year to year since then. The threat of closure or merge has come up a few times.

None of the WAFL boards deserve brickbats for the time they put into keeping clubs alive - its bloody difficult! I suspect Swans big loss was not so much a case of spending too much, more a case of not raising the necessary funds that are required to keep clubs alive these days.

Also EP's move was not just about the financial stability - it will stave off the WAFC's likely desire to force a merger in coming years. EP and Subi were possible candidates to have the carrot/sword dangled given they share a ground but it would be much more unlikely now.

I am not happy that we will have West Coast Eagles players in our jumpers, but it is a necessary evil. It will keep the club alive a few more years and if mergers etc do happen who knows what will happen to available finances to the remainder clubs - it might get more comfortable then - however I think this is unlikely with the new stadium coming to fruition - this may impact the WAFC's revenue which could see all sorts of ugly scenarios.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back