My Solution to Fixturing Problem

Remove this Banner Ad

I am not sure if anyone has put this idea out there before but here goes ( using my team as a example ):

• The AFL fixtures are done in four year blocks.
  • Each team will have a designated rivalry teams eg Freo has West Coast.
  • Each side plays each other once in the first 17 rounds and then their rivalry team in the round 18.
  • They then play 4 of the other 16 teams in the last four rounds.
  • These teams are swapped around in the next three seasons.
  • The result is that each side plays their rivalry side 8 times over a four year period and plays each of the other 16 sides twice in the same period.
For example using Freo:

2016 Season

Rnd 1 - 17 Plays all clubs
Rnd 18 Plays WCE
Rnd 19 Plays Ade
Rnd 20 Plays Bri
Rnd 21 Plays Car
Rnd 22 Plays Col

2017 Season

Rnd 18 Plays WCE
Rnd 19 Plays Ess
Rnd 20 Plays Gee
Rnd 21 Plays GWS
Rnd 22 Plays GCS

2018 Season

Rnd 18 Plays WCE
Rnd 19 Plays Haw
Rnd 20 Plays Mel
Rnd 21 Plays NME
Rnd 22 Plays PAD

2016 Season

Rnd 18 Plays WCE
Rnd 19 Plays Ric
Rnd 20 Plays STK
Rnd 21 Plays SYD
Rnd 22 Plays WBD

I call this the sleiwos quadrennial intergrated balancing system (SQUIBS)

Don't hold back on your praise.
Yes Please! There is no reason why a designated rivalry couldn't exist with 2 teams.
Adelaide - West Coast
Port Adelaide - Fremantle
Sydney - Brisbane
West Sydney - Gold Coast
This would allow Victorians to have two designated rivalries.

So what does this fixture solve then ? when some teams can still have a much harder draw than others ?

Except for losing a bunch of money of course ?

I don't think there's a way to account for some teams simply being better than others in the fixture. At least we have every team play everyone else once (unlike, say, the NFL), so everyone gets a go against every type of opposition.

Actually Its pretty good.
It creates a randomness to who you play twice.
Sadly the people who talk loudest about equalisation will find a reason not to give such a common sense approach a try.

As a Hawk fan I'd say Richmond are the team we least have a rivalry with. But maybe a big September game or two could change that.

Well done OP.

I think it's good, but instead of teams playing their rival twice they should just play a random team which they aren't already playing twice that year, preferably one relevant to their position from the previous year.

I think there is merit in a random draw as an addition to the original idea. I'm sure in the 1925 to whenever they played 22 games per year Collingwood didn't play Carlton twice every year.

Well. How about it be done in round 23. For non Victorian clubs, they play their local rival. For the 10 Victorian based clubs, it can be a random draw. This will allow all clubs to remain in their home state in the week before finals. Given most of the Victorian clubs play out of either the MCG or Etihad, scheduling should not be a problem.

I'm assuming the random draw is decided before the season starts ensuring all clubs have 11 home games.

I think we should have a rolling fixture. Play everyone once, then another 5 teams. Then the following seasons you just rotate the last 5 rounds with the teams you have yet to play twice.

For the Interstate clubs its easy.

For the vic clubs well that could decided by ballot I suppose.

For the Vic sides the rivals could also vary each year, teams could have 2 rivals that swap each year. Eg Carltob V Richmond & Pies, Pies v Dons & Carl, Richmond v Carlton & Melbourne, Melboune v Richmond & Geel, Geelong v Doggies & Melboune, Doggies v Geel & North etc.

The 2 derby games for the non-vic teams is essential in any system adopted.

Just saw someone else posted the same point - oops!

The issue is the afl and their media buddies got their grubby hands on the fixture software

Originally it was intended to keep the blockbuster fixtures without seeing the same return fixtures each yr
But of corse, that'd mean Collingwood, Essendon, Carlton and Richmond would have to share their profits, and the media wouldn't be able to set a scene of the good and bad guys

20 Round season:
- All sides play each other once - 17 rounds
- 3 rounds of return games

Return Games:
WA and SA sides play each other a second time: local rival and both sides from the other state
NSW and QLD sides play each other a second time: local rival and both sides from the other state
For the 10 Vic sides, each plays 3 other Vic sides a second time - meeting all other Vic sides a second time over 3 years (3 x 3)

WA and SA sides only visit NSW and QLD once each, and vice versa.
Each VIC side visits WA, SA, NSW and QLD once each.
Any league where half the sides are based in one city is always going to produce lopsided travel, but 20 rounds is a nice round number.

Last edited:
The AFL will never, ever, ever shorten the season by that much. They're more likely to shorten the games themselves.

So like the NFL basically, I like it

Like the NFL in that over a certain number of years every team will play each other home and away, but thats all it does. As far as I can make out from the OP, it'll still be 18 teams into a 22 match per team season where selective teams are played twice and all teams compared to each other in a single ladder. No different to now. All it does is take the randomness out of fixturing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Carl v Coll (still the biggest Vic rivalry, white collar class v blue collar class)
Mel v Geel (oldest clubs, city v country)
Ess v North (regional north/west rivalry)
Rich v Haw (regional eastern rivalry, make up for the fact that they have never met in a final)
StK v WB (for historical underdog romantics, 1 flag each, south/east v west)

Carl/Coll
Ess/Haw
Melb/Rich
North/Geelong (Scott bro)
Saints/Dogs

So what does this fixture solve then ? when some teams can still have a much harder draw than others ?

Except for losing a bunch of money of course ?

Teams will always have harder draws - its about it being determined by a set formula that everyone is subject to (so you know, fairness) rather than manipulation from the AFL to get money in the pockets of the big clubs.

Thing I hate about the 17 rounds is that you can have a very unfavourable draw if you travel more against better interstate teams.

Why? If youre a Vic club you'll only travel 4 tines a year (once to each state) and it may he better to play the better teams over there anyway. If they're that good they'll probably beat you at home so may as well lose away and have the 50/50 game against the other club from that state at home.

Thing I hate about the 17 rounds is that you can have a very unfavourable draw if you travel more against better interstate teams.

spot on.

17 rounds is not fair at all. the single round-robin still provides home and away inequities.

hypothetically, if Fremantle are a good side and West Coast a poor one, then the teams that travel west to play West Coast already have an advantage over those that travel to play Fremantle.

These 4 or 5 away matches end up up a major factor between Victorian clubs who rarely need to travel over the course of a season.

And at the end of the day, all teams playing with different home and away conditions still end up compared to each other under the single table.

there's a reason why euro football leagues have a pure league double round-robin home and away format. anything less under the single ladder format is a sham.

and where this can't happen, such as tournaments, or Leagues such as the NFL where teams can't play each other once let alone twice, then group tables are utilised to fundamentally compare teams who have similar fixtures.

Like I said in the 17+5 thread, the problem isn't the "unfair fixture", it's boring meaningless games for a third of the competition out of finals contention over the last third of the season.

hypothetically, if Fremantle are a good side and West Coast a poor one, then the teams that travel west to play West Coast already have an advantage over those that travel to play Fremantle.

If Freo are that good (like this year) then they're probably going to win regardless of where you play them.

West Coast on the other hand are more likely to win in Perth so you're better off having a home game against West Coast and playing Freo away.

Like I said in the 17+5 thread, the problem isn't the "unfair fixture", it's boring meaningless games for a third of the competition out of finals contention over the last third of the season.

And the financial inequities for some clubs (like Melbourne) who have 9 of their 11 home games against low drawing clubs while other clubs (like Carlton) get 7 Friday night games and guaranteed home games against Collingwood, Richmond, Essendon and usually one or both of Hawthorn & Geelong every single year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back