Autopsy NAB Challenge Week 1, St Kilda v North Melbourne, Saturday 20 February 2016, Wangaratta

Remove this Banner Ad

Ross looked ready to take the step up last year in preseason and we all know what happened then...

So fingers crossed he gets through next few games unscathed. That hamstring set him back quite a bit imo

Looking at the team lists before the game I wasn't expecting a win.
Amazingly we were the better team to half time bar the three clanger turnover goals in defence.
With Paddy, Billings and Stevo taken off at half time it was the Roos by how much.
The youngsters fought valiantly in the last after the blowout 3rd.

Great to see Ross, Billings, Gresh, Lee play well. Lee is a lot more important to us this year than some realize imo so pleased he's moving well and playing both ends too.

I think the most positive thing for me was seeing Tom Lee being effective in defence and swinging forward and being effective there too.
Im actually blown away how much improved he is from 2 years ago. Goddard and Lee have only played 10 or so games each. In football terms thats like when a baby goes from crawling to taking its first steps.
I really hope we get 20 games experience into these two this year and next.
If we can hold these guys together our back line of Goddard / Carlisle / Lee could very well be the best in the league.
Taking Dempster and Fisher out of the backline and moving Roberton / Webster further up the ground this year will mean that we'll leak goals and we'll loose more games but putting that responsibility on Lee and Goddard will fast track their development.
By the start of the 2018 season Goddard and Lee could have 50+ games. Carlisle will have played a season with us and will be that General at FB. Our defence will be impenetrable.
I think 2016 and 2017 will be another 2 development years but ftom 2018 all our quality young KPPs are going to hit like 50 to 70 + games and then we'll really shake the comp. Its just another 2 seasons. Weve been patiently waiting but realistically a full rebuild takes 7 to 10 years.

In last seasons NAB challenge the Hawks got a touch up in rnd 1.
And in rnd 1 of the AFL regular season the Kangas got smashed by about 13 goals.
Both teams seemed to recover OK from those early season hic ups.

Rnd 1 Nab Cup is a bit like the Jar Jar Binks character in the Star Wars movies.
Sure, its part of the 'big picture' but in reality its pretty damn forgettable and means nothing.

Ross (star in the making) acres (not sure why people pick him off on here) gresh (wanganeenish) and yep im still slapping myself i thought saunders played very well. Lee played ok still looks out of place not sure if he just looks unco or just moves wierd cant quite get my head around him. Lonie sinc dunstan very quiet but will improve. No mention on here about losing gilbo hes very important to our team.

I'm sick to death about reading/hearing negative rubbish about our kids. I get it that liking St Kilda doesn't get a website clicks, or win you fans as a commentator but its so frustrating.

For example, in the wake of our intraclub, it was all about Robbo hurting his ankle - so the following intraclub soured by injury articles were written whilst almost every other club had nothing but positives.

Yesterday Norf cruised to victory over the hapless Saints, please - why make that the focus considering it was Nab1 and we rested 10 of our best either for the day or for the majority of the game. We were the better team in the first half when two or three extras were out there for us.

I didn't post yesterday, but I too was caught up in the emotion. Why? Dermott f****g Brereton. I want to watch preseason footy to see which kids are going well. Noone needs him to sink the boots into a 10 gamer on an almost constant level, and Hickey, my god, I lost count of the number of times he and others like Lee were criticised. The longer the game went on, the more my blood was boiling, not because of how we were playing - but because of the rubbish sniping agenda which that flog had. I dare say I wasn't alone in this and the anger/frustration was ill directed by some at the player/club when really it was Dermott who stirred many up. It made it almost unwatchable.

I really wish Paddy had come out and simply said, oh, Dermott, yes, that irrelevant flog who bagged an 18 year old kid in his first year is f****g clueless instead of his mature measured response recently.

Just sick of it, I love the kids, I love the club, but I'm sick to death of being an irrelevant punching bag for imbeciles who are making every last cent out of a career which should've finish decades ago.

While Seb Ross was BoG, I was pleased to see such great performances from Mason Wood, Luke McDonald and even Jed Anderson (after a slow start). Dumont didn't play. Another of their youngsters to shine was Ryan Clarke. North had a much stronger team out there than us and this allowed their kids to shine.

We only had two debutants today: Jade Gresham carried his good form in the intraclub into this match. He showed that he belongs at this level, he is game, he has real speed and he tackled well. Nick Coughlan showed we have something quality to work with in him.

North are close to the precipice. Their window is seen to be closing - and they are notorious in their mediocre starts so they are keen to address this by coming out all guns firing. I think they caught us a little unawares at the sheer ferocity of their intent. We will learn from this.

Good post Kildonan...and in particular the section I highlighted. I think our mids would have played better having the support of Armitage and Steven. Reiwoldt makes all our boys play taller, and so on. It makes some of the performances even better when you look at it like that.

Gresh is definitely on my bench of my supercoach team, (oops have i said too much :eek::p:D)

I think the most positive thing for me was seeing Tom Lee being effective in defence and swinging forward and being effective there too.
Im actually blown away how much improved he is from 2 years ago. Goddard and Lee have only played 10 or so games each. In football terms thats like when a baby goes from crawling to taking its first steps.
If we can hold these guys together our back line of Goddard / Carlisle / Lee could very well be the best in the league.
Taking Dempster and Fisher out of the backline and moving Roberton / Webster further up the ground this year will mean that we'll leak goals and we'll loose more games but putting that responsibility on Lee and Goddard will fast track their development.
By the start of the 2018 season Goddard and Lee could have 50+ games. Carlisle will have played a season with us and will be that General at FB. Our defence will be impenetrable.
I think 2016 and 2017 will be another 2 development years but ftom 2018 all our quality young KPPs are going to hit like 50 to 70 + games and then we'll really shake the comp. Its just another 2 seasons. Weve been patiently waiting but realistically a full rebuild takes 7 to 10 years.

When we were talking about list management etc the other day I raised the fact that with Fish retiring this year, (IMO) and Dempster likely the year after, we need support for Goddard and Carlisle, (even if we managed to get someone like Hurley). For mine it is Lee v Delaney and Lee wins. Was disappointed re Delaney, its like he almost knows he's a VFL player on the last year of his contract...

What does the club see in Danny Sexton?

He has the personality of a 'dead carp', he barely looks interested and never
seems happy. He reminds me of an English teacher a had in high school who always looked like he hated his job.

How can this type of personality be a positive around a club. He is meant to be tactical master well I havent seen any signs of that in.his time at the club. He must be good at something otherwise he wouldn't have lasted this long - but wow he could do with a personality over haul!

Last edited:
Got home from work last night and watched the replay. There were more positive signs than negative. Our kids showed a lot against a mature hardened North outfit. Especially on a hot 30C afternoon.

Our structure fell away in the third which is understandable considering Billings, Steven, Gilbo and Paddy were then out.

Gresh is a player. So strong below the waist. Just a natural.
The club always said we'd be there abouts in 2017/18 with a look to get to the big dance by 2020. We need patience and to have realistic expectations. Not to bag players because we expect too much from them so soon. (I now have a couple on ignore :thumbsu:)
I'm looking forward to getting Carlisle back! He'll obviously make a huge difference to our backline. Plus Hurley when we get him too of course :D

Footy is back and I effing love it!

seems happy. He reminds me of an English teacher a had in high school who always looked like he hated his job.

How can this type of personality be a positive around a club. He is meant to be tactical master well I havent seen any signs of that in.his time at the club. He must be good at something otherwise he wouldn't have lasted this long - but wow he could do with a personality over haul!
Are you talking about the Danny Sexton that finished second in the assistant coach of the year award? That Danny Sexton? Your ability to find a fault in everything has to be admired in a way....not.

Yeah! And what does the entire comp see in him, considering he won Assistant coach of the year last year?! They're all morons! You're a freakin' genius.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think u Saints fans should be really happy with the direction of your team. In 2018 I think you guys will be top 4 bound and I hope you break your premmy hoodoo within the next 5 years preceding 2018.
U got great coaches with stability something you guys would know only to well hasn't been a Saints strong point in the past. It might not be sexy to talk about Saints youngsters now, but after u guys upset a few top teams in the next couple of years they will get the accolades they deserve, heading into 2018 on with those vital 50-70 games into your young talent I feel u guys will be very happy. Maybe we might see you in a final in the future and continue the rivalry we had in the late 90's. Good luck this year, u will get some top8 scalps, enjoy:thumbsu::footy:

Lee secured himself a Round 1 spot yesterday for mine. Notwithstanding that tired kick that led to the turnover goal, he was pretty good. That mark and goal was very nice. It's that versatility that will get him the gig. Richo loves that kind of thing.

At the start of last year they had just realised his shoulders didn't have a node that held them in place so grafted bone on. He said he was finally over the shoulder pops and was building up. He thought he might get on the field by the end of last season. He must have genuine confidence in them now. I hope he can still have an influence. He's a really good upbeat club man type who would be well liked around the club for his energy. Maybe a bit annoying like Milney though.

It make me feel so much better though Loyal Sainter to know how much happier and optimistic I am than the sad sacks with their constant negativity and ignorant comments.

Hilarious how some go on about how bad we are after a practice Match.

Laughable in it's idiocy

I know Danny pretty well and he is very popular around the club. And he loves the job. I don't think you quite got any of that right.

Negatives:
Hickey showed nowhere near enough for mine, least effective ruckman on the ground for mine.
are you freaking kidding me?! Despite the fact Holmes was our ruck for most of the day what do you expect him to do? Dominate every game? I posted this somewhere else but I'll include the North rucks too.

HICKEY: 6 kicks, 6 handballs, 3 marks, 1 tackle, 3 clearances, 14 hit-outs.

HOLMES: 0 kicks, 5 handballs, 0 marks, 1 tackle, 1 clearance, 26 hit outs.

DAW: 5 kicks, 4 handballs, 1 mark, 3 tackles, 1 clearance, 23 hit outs.

PREUSS: 2 kicks, 4 handballs, 1 mark, 1 clearance, 10 hit outs.

Now I know stars aren't everything, but can you PLEASE explain to me how Hickey was the least effective ruckman on the ground?
This hickey bashing is getting ******* ridiculous.

Lee secured himself a Round 1 spot yesterday for mine. Notwithstanding that tired kick that led to the turnover goal, he was pretty good. That mark and goal was very nice. It's that versatility that will get him the gig. Richo loves that kind of thing.

I don't get the Lee thing. I admit I'm not his biggest fan but again today I thought he struggled to influence the game. Doesn't seem to work hard enough to get the easy ball. I don't think he is fit enough to play good consistent AFL footy. And I don't see a spot for him. Hope I'm proven wrong but nothing I saw yesterday has changed my mind. The only thing is he is ahead of Delaney and maybe Goddard so he may get his chance. Behind to many on the forward line IMO.

are you freaking kidding me?! Despite the fact Holmes was our ruck for most of the day what do you expect him to do? Dominate every game? I posted this somewhere else but I'll include the North rucks too.

HICKEY: 6 kicks, 6 handballs, 3 marks, 1 tackle, 3 clearances, 14 hit-outs.

HOLMES: 0 kicks, 5 handballs, 0 marks, 1 tackle, 1 clearance, 26 hit outs.

DAW: 5 kicks, 4 handballs, 1 mark, 3 tackles, 1 clearance, 23 hit outs.

PREUSS: 2 kicks, 4 handballs, 1 mark, 1 clearance, 10 hit outs.

Now I know stars aren't everything, but can you PLEASE explain to me how Hickey was the least effective ruckman on the ground?
This hickey bashing is getting ******* ridiculous.

Hickey was clearly the best ruckman on the ground yesterday. Unfortunately for him he is judged on his forward play and that isn't much chop but as a ruckman he does get the ball. Something we don't usually get.

Last edited:
This thread needs more love for Tommy Lee

What went right for us? Well Seb Ross is one shining light, but there were many other positives: Acres, Templeton, Gresham, Lee, Saunders, Holmes and I was particularly pleased to see Tom Curren kick that goal.

Tommy Lee was good in defence despite not having much of it. He knows when and how to use the punch and provides us with an elite kick - regardless of that pass directly in front.

Will have a closer look at the replay but I thought that Lee was very good body on body. Perhaps he had the weaker forward? Impressed.

Great to see Ross, Billings, Gresh, Lee play well. Lee is a lot more important to us this year than some realize imo so pleased he's moving well and playing both ends too.

For mine it is Lee v Delaney and Lee wins.

At the start of last year they had just realised his shoulders didn't have a node that held them in place so grafted bone on. He said he was finally over the shoulder pops and was building up. He thought he might get on the field by the end of last season. He must have genuine confidence in them now. I hope he can still have an influence. He's a really good upbeat club man type who would be well liked around the club for his energy. Maybe a bit annoying like Milney though.

Hickey was clearly the best ruckman on the ground yesterday. Unfortunately for him he is judged on his forward play and that isn't much chop but as a ruckman he does get the ball. Something we don't usually get.
I agree but willing to cut him some slack because of Paddy going off up forward.
Seemed to contest well.

Was happy to see that Saunders put his best foot forward yesterday in regards to our rookie upgrade.

Coughlan gave it a real crack all day, but will be better off with a season in the VFL to further hone his defensive skills rather than being thrown in the deep end with senior footy this year.

All our other young guns have been mentioned and I haven't seen many posts in here I disagree with. Ross and Newnes were fantastic. Acres had a really nice first half, but seemed to hurry himself a few times. When Sinclair found it he looked in control and seemed to find that half second of time and space to work in, a key skill that is exceedingly hard to teach. Gresham looked superb - I really hope he gets a solid crack in the seniors this year.

Do we know the full extent of Gilbert and Paddy's injuries yet?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back