Preview NAB Cup Carlton v Fremantle - Saturday March 2 @ Etihad 7.40pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Hard to pick the teams at this stage, other than for those we know won't be available for injury.

Fremantle will be without Sandilands, Mayne and Morabito with Hill and Walters also possibly left out after injury scares over the weekend.

Carlton will be interesting though with McInnes and Menzel certain to miss, with Judd and Waite unlikely, but also unnecessary.
I wouldn't be surprised for Warnock to miss again although I'd sooner he played and Scotland may just be 50/50.
Kreuzer is the player we really need to get a bit of game time into and I'd expect him to play.

I think the squads are around the 26 - 28 mark for the second round, which makes it a little clearer now as to which players may be favoured, just at this stage.

Some of the seniors may be rested and there's clearly some players that will need to play to keep things rolling along, so I'm hoping for a side like this:

Laidler Jamison Armfield
Tuohy Henderson Yarran
Bell Carrazzo Lucas
Garlett Casboult Walker
Hampson Rowe Betts

Kreuzer Robinson Gibbs

Watson, O'Keeffe, Graham, White, Ellard, Temay, Bootsma, Duigan

(I see the bolded in needing the extra run)

Happy for Murphy and McLean to prepare for the week after. They have nothing to prove although Murphy could do with the run.

Is Mitchell injured? Would like to see him given a chance to stake a claim.

He's not injured but didn't really have a full pre-season either.
Rowe and Casboult did more than enough to keep the ball rolling with them in order for us to find our F.F., should we need one come round 1.

With a squad of 26 - 28, I just can't see the point of turning players over just for the sake of it, although I have no idea which way Mick will want to go.

Malthouse made it clear that there would be many changes - as it was " important that everyone got an opportunity to show their stuff"

He did, didn't he?

Whichever way, we have 4 "practice" matches up until the real stuff starts.
The player management has been good to date, so little to complain about at all................but would love to see even a little bit of Menzel though.

I hope O'Keefe gets a decent run this week, I am keen to put a close eye on him. Still not convinced of the talent a lot of people around here think he has.
Don't get me wrong I'd love to be proved wrong, just can't see it.

I guess its the same for some with Lucas and Gibbs but I can see all the potential in the world from them and think MM will get it out of them. Others are non-believers, and fair enough.

He did, didn't he?

The player management has been good to date, so little to complain about at all................but would love to see even a little bit of Menzel though.

Don't go getting greedy Harker.:) With the injury list as small as it is, and all the young players that seem to be coming through and looking good. I think we can wait as long as needed for Troy to appear

He did, didn't he?

It is early days but I thought Lucas, Graham and Rowe did no harm to their chances. Rowe and Lucas especially showed some versatility up forward and back. Might sound strange but I reckon Bell has to slow down with ball in hand to get better. Curnow did a lot of heavy work and played ok for a while in HBF as well...I have a sneaky suspicion a cople of the past 'regulars' will struggle to make a starting 22 this year.

All good so far- yeah can't wait to see Menzel given a run - probably after the first five hard games coming up in H&A.

Good OP as usual Harks. I agree with your sentiments but only wish to add some comments around the fringe.

JAB pointed out that MM said he wanted to spread the opportunities around. And that is one of the objectives of the NAB Cup format. But MM also mentioned that we have a lot of work to do in order to grasp the new game plan. He said we were employing two game plans on the weekend. So I guess he and the coaching panel have to balance the two objectives: putting game time into the boys so they grasp the new game plan and at the same time introducing additional new players. But I guess that is why the coaching panel are paid the big dollars.

As for individual players, I agree with Charisma that Gibbs and Lucas looked really good. I really liked the look of Lucas in 2011 but I became a bit sceptical of him last year. But he showed more than glimpses on the weekend of the potential many of us see in him. Ellard also performed better than my expectations of him. And Hammer holding contested marks was very encouraging. There are many others who performed really well.

But there are a couple I have question marks about. I love Bootsma's originality and enthusiasm. But he looks too raw and ungainly for AFL level as yet. My view is it would be best for him to learn his craft in the VFL before expecting too much of him at AFL level.

One other observation. Andrew Walker was our best forward in 2011 and I have very high regard for him. But if our other forward options, such as Casboult, Rowe, Hampson, continue to show and deliver on the promise, then Andrew is going to be under pressure to rekindle his 2011 form in order to keep his position as a designated forward. His versatility is in his favour.

Competition for places is going to be a highlight of watching the Carlton Football Club in 2013.

Final comment. Armfield looks like a natural wingman to me - not back pocket. he can play both ends of the ground and glides across the turf. Has he shaved off that moustache? Less drag - he looks even faster than last year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hope they dont rush Kreuzer back, and for gods sake dont bring back warnock unless he is 100%, we've ambled along for years with a half fit kreuzer, I dont want him back unless he is cherry ripe
Well hopefully, the horror run with injuries has subsided. But at the same time, one would hope Malthouse has the professionalism not to rush back 'stars'.

We have
  • 6 players we can rotate through CHF/FF: Waite, Rowe, Casboult, Mitchell, Hampson and (sparingly) Henderson
  • 5 players we can rotate through the ruck: Kreuzer, Warnock, Hampson + Casboult & Rowe as backups.
At this stage for Round 1 against Richmond, I'd go with Hampson as ruck, with Rowe and Casboult in the forward line. This will give Shaun a valueable experience as #1 ruck, while trialling Sam and Levi in a backup capacity under real world conditions.

With Kreuzer, Waite, Warnock and Mitchell yet to debut in the NAB, they need to break back into the side. If they're not primed for round 1 H&A, in a worst case scenario that means MK and JW would be regulated to a fitness-gaining match or two in the VFL.

On Kreuzer, he is a very natural talent and does not need much match time to get going. Based on the workman like year I believe he was forced to have last year I would prefer he sees no preseason matches if necessary and he i splayed into form in round 1 and so on. I really dont think richmonds ruckman are anything that Kreuzer and Hampson/ Warnock couldn't manage.

Would even be very happy to see him rested 3 to 4 times during the year against the weaker midfields.

Do we even know if Judd and Waite are training? It was 3 weeks ago when they both did what was reported as 1-2 week niggling injuries. Does anyone have any knowledge of their injuries? With 3 nab cup games to go you'd like to think they would want to get 1 game under their belt.

I am a big lucas supporter, but last pre-season he also looked the goods, so lets wait til the season start for him to prove his worth to the team. same goes for gibbs.

This will be tough game and whilst the score may not be important the boys would want to make sure they are switched on because I reckon Lyon has his guys very hungry.

Judging from what MM said about the team confusing the two game plans and still having a long way to go before perfecting his game plan I have a feeling we'll be playing a fairly strong side and this week will be more about getting our main 24-26 players more comfortable with the game plan.

Apart from the game plan we also need to narrow down on who of our big boys will be playing round 1 against the tigers, in the forward line, ruck and back line.

Levi, Rowe and Hampson all looked pretty decent at times, I'm happy I don't have to separate them at this point, have a feeling Hampson is slightly a head of the others. His centre ruckwork was really good and he seems to be directing the ball better. All 3 of them took some nice marks and kicked a goal or 2 as well as missing some easy ones. I think atleast 2 of them will play against Freo.

As for the ruck, is Kreuzer ready to get some game time? What's going on with 206?

For the back line, do we go with 3 talls? Does Watson get another crack? where does Hendo play? Do we rest Jamison or does he need more game time?

As for Murphy I think he needs the run, he looked a little rusty during round 1 of NAB.

I hope they dont rush Kreuzer back, and for gods sake dont bring back warnock unless he is 100%, we've ambled along for years with a half fit kreuzer, I dont want him back unless he is cherry ripe
With Casboult and Rowe as ruck/forwards, there is never a need to rush back out rucks now.

I would let Kreuzer and Knockers have another couple of training sessions and then bring them out for the last game or 2 of the NAB cup.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back