AFL Toast Nailbiter against The West Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

View attachment 1979609

I made a graph to sum out how I think our level is this year, I definitely think the floor is higher than it was last year.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Christian Bale GIF by PeacockTV

I actually trust our gameplan and structures more than I have in ages. The thing we need to mix it with the big fish is less passengers imo. We have bridged that gap to some extent so at least we are making progress.
I heard this a lot last year. I will trust this team when they put in a full year. Not half a season. Not 20 games. A full year. I am too scarred.

I dunno how it looked on tv but never has a 6 point win felt more comfortable from the outer. Never in doubt. Duz immense early, Zerrett and Martin immense throughout.
Davey a concern.
Bank the points and move on.
I only felt comfortable when boncer34 reassured me. Before that I was a mess.

Not great with charts myself but the 2024 line looks like it started better then dropped below 2023…

Haha it’s a very dumb chart, what I’m trying to show with it is that our worst performance is a lot better this year than last, the difference between best and worst has closed a bit.

I feel like bombers have always had such a huge gap between their best play and worst, and I genuinely think it’s closed a bit, even if we don’t play our best this year, we don’t s**t the bed.

Haha it’s a very dumb chart, what I’m trying to show with it is that our worst performance is a lot better this year than last, the difference between best and worst has closed a bit.

I feel like bombers have always had such a huge gap between their best play and worst, and I genuinely think it’s closed a bit, even if we don’t play our best this year, we don’t s**t the bed.

If we win the flag this year I’m going to frame this chart and put it in my living room.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Archie back
Jye out

If we can get through these injuries and get our best on the park we have a lot of upside.

Scott said it wasn’t an injury to Caldwell. He was fine to play but as his calf was feeling tight, they didn’t want to risk it. Especially as they had Hobbs as the sub that could come in and play that role for them.

Scott also said Caldwell should play next week.

5-1-2 from an opening eight rounds that included 4x interstate games is a great result.

West Coast look a much better team this year so it was never going to be an ‘easy’ victory.

I think Ridley, Reid and Setterfield will add so much to this team defensively. Very keen for them to get back into the team as we head into the byes. Also excited for potential debuts to Caddy and Roberts in the second half of the year.

Durham and Zac ❤️

We’ve set the season up well. It’s up to us what we make of it.

Need to get more scoreboard pressure when we have the game on our terms. Good thing about tonight is when some have an off day, others step up.

Much better from Redman & Lav. Merrett, Durham, Martin & Parish huge. Wish votes were still top 5.
Not gonna lie I considered bringing it back this year but then went back to the very old vote threads and had a Vietnam-esque flashback about what a nightmare they were to count

Not sure why some are disappointed with the performance or downplaying the win. This is an Eagles side that beat Freo by 6 goals and thrashed the Tigers.

Good news is Scott said nothing to worry about with Caldwell and expects him to be available next week

Merret was the other side all by himself too. They won the ball Kelly gets the clearance. If we won the ball merret would have walked out with it. Both teams rolled the dice all night at centre clearances.
You are right. Both teams had a mid defensive side on their own.

Why we elected to do this rather than go man on man I have no idea. (1) We had the lead so the need was to shut down the contest and (2) Williams had beaten Goldy most of the evening so surely play to that scenario.

I called it as it was happening, very predictable. Thought it was a bit naive tbh.

The edge won us that game, not the tackle count but the new act of arguing every little s**t act from the other team with a physical reply, it might be a dipped shoulder passing by, it might be a push in the chest, whatever is it can sometimes cause a skirmish which can then cause a free kick reversal which can save you a goal. It did.

Thought Reman was ok.
Not sure if he’s down like you say of playing a role with less run.
He had 2 really poor efforts in a row in the last quarter.

Chose to bump and missed in one contest when it should’ve been a simple “wrap up” tackle, they kicked a goal.

The next Eagles inside 50 he had a front and centre and went 1 handed whilst moving to avoid contact.

Not what we are used to seeing with him and I suspect something is not 100%

I thought it would be a danger game so happy we won. Not the best game but sometimes you just have to grind out a win however you can get it. Kick a little better and we maybe win by 3 or 4 goals. No way am I disappointed as unlike most it was not one I considered an "easy" kill. We have had 4 interstate trips in 8 rounds. To get out of that period 2/2 is a good result.

Think some are underestimating the win.

WCE are no longer the “bye” they have been for a couple of years. They are playing with spirit and we good enough to beat Freo in a derby game. They threw absolutely everything at us last night, very physical game, and I thought we matched it. We are certainly not at a level to turn up our noses at a hard fought win in Perth.

I do feel like there is still unrealised upside to this team. Ridley is the obvious one but if we can integrate say Hayes and Roberts then I think the team will benefit from that injection of youthful talent, enthusiasm and athleticism.

Also think we have to get the forward structure right. Want to see 2MP pushing high with Langford and Stringer alternating as the deepest forward.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back