Narrm - Melbourne Football Club

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 6, 2013
ACT
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Reigning AFL premiers Melbourne hope the historic temporary rebranding of the club to Narrm will prompt a wider discussion about Indigenous issues.

The Demons will go by Narrm in all Indigenous AFL and AFLW rounds going forward
  • Indigenous player Steven May says the move is "really special" and will "start conversations"
  • In the rebranding for the rounds, the Demons consulted with the Wurundjeri Woi Wurrung Cultural Heritage Aboriginal Corporation
  • The Demons will switch to the Aboriginal name for the city of Melbourne during the Sir Doug Nicholls Round later this month.

Demons leaders have hailed the change as significant, with club to continue going by Narrm for all Indigenous rounds in the AFL and AFLW beyond this year.
Great Initiative

Wondering what sort of conversations this is going to start.... Seems tokenistic to me, but good on them for at least thinking outside the box, just not sure what it achieves or solves.
Maybe in Pride round they can also rename themselves to the Elton Johns, and on Queens Birthday they could be called Elizabeth or Buckingham.

Wondering what sort of conversations this is going to start.... Seems tokenistic to me, but good on them for at least thinking outside the box, just not sure what it achieves or solves.
Maybe in Pride round they can also rename themselves to the Elton Johns, and on Queens Birthday they could be called Elizabeth or Buckingham.
had you heard of narrm before?

Narrm ate, but I'm not about to start calling Melbourne Narrm now that I have.
You don't have to start calling it that, but you're more aware of the history than you where yesterday. So the club already achieved what it set out to do

I'm not saying it's a bad idea, if you read my original quote I said good on them for thinking outside the box and doing something. Doesn't hurt anybody... Maybe just sounds like a compromise.... If they feel so strongly about it why don't they officially rebrand to Narrm FC?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great initiative and way to teach people about history who otherwise wouldnt hear a thing about it.

cue the conservative, no politics or social issues in footy (unless it's anzac day), white master race brigade in 3....2....1....

This is one of the least contentious things I can think of. It’s just using an alternate name for the location of the club.

love this, and their guernsey.
As a piece of artwork yeah, though i reckon its a bit busy for a playing top even compared to most previous indigenous round tops. The logo is absolutely ace though, i reckon a jumper using the art style of the logo would be spot on.

FRt-PRNaIAA5QgO.jpg

As a piece of artwork yeah, though i reckon its a bit busy for a playing top even compared to most previous indigenous round tops. The logo is absolutely ace though, i reckon a jumper using the art style of the logo would be spot on.

FRt-PRNaIAA5QgO.jpg

yeah that's fair, but for a 1 off it's cool!

FRt-PRNaIAA5QgO.jpg
it's our worst indigenous round jumper imo, the hawk ruins it, the rest is sick as though

Remove this Banner Ad

Back