Narrm - Melbourne Football Club

Remove this Banner Ad

Respecting and supporting the original custodians of the land and its origins shouldn't even be a debate. Very scary I know
I think some of the debate is to if it is genuinely trying to respect a group of people, or trying to get some positive PR at their expense.

It is ok to be cynical of an organisation's intentions in the modern landscape.

How far in to the game till a ch7 commentator comes up with Naarmy army for Melbourne supporters, and then works it in whenever possible.
10 seconds and probably mentioned 100 times

They have the 4.35 Saturday game both weeks so it will be Dwayne on Fox

If Melbourne get the win, do they get the 4 points? If they play the game as "Narrm" how is this possible?
(It's the same team)

Here we go again. Melbourne FC goes completely woke. What a load of S..t.

Where does this crap end. It’s just a pity nobody’s going to have the courage to take them on and call this rubbish out. Football is becoming a branch political party, forcing left wing ideology down the collective supporters throats.
boomer facebook quotes are bleeding into BF again

Wondering what sort of conversations this is going to start.... Seems tokenistic to me, but good on them for at least thinking outside the box, just not sure what it achieves or solves.
Maybe in Pride round they can also rename themselves to the Elton Johns, and on Queens Birthday they could be called Elizabeth or Buckingham.

Neither of which have anything to do with Melbourne which begs the question as to why even if you DID have a legitimate reason to question them, you would make such a suggestion

Where does this crap end. It’s just a pity nobody’s going to have the courage to take them on and call this rubbish out. Football is becoming a branch political party, forcing left wing ideology down the collective supporters throats.

Careful, in a minute you’ll complain about something that actually effects you

General signs someone is a twit: they use the word ‘woke.’

What is being forced down your throat, exactly? Geographical and historical knowledge that you can choose or choose not to retain?

God it must hurt. Is your brain ok? Do you need a hug?

How is the Right Wing Crackpot Lindsey Tanner working our as chairman of the Essendon footy club for ya ???

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Never takes long in these sorts of threads for the flogs to out themselves.
I'm entitled to an opinion without being called a flog 🙄. I have a lot of respect for the indigenous people and have spent time out in the rural communities and APY lands learning about their culture from the people themselves.
I've already clarified I don't think it's a bad idea, I just don't understand the point, if they truly want to make a difference and treat it with respect, then they should officially rename themselves Narrm. Otherwise to me it just looks like their using it as some publicity tool to promote themselves and their indigenous round Guernsey.

Now I have absolutely no idea what happens with the proceeds from their indigenous guernsey sales, but I'd hope at least some of the profit, if not all of it, goes towards community outreach programs and support. If that's the case, then yeah I'm all for it and I'll be the first to say good on them

If Melbourne get the win, do they get the 4 points? If they play the game as "Narrm" how is this possible?
You've made this point before and we're still ignoring it because it's so stupid.

I hope Narrm is taking their eye off the ball now and we might be able to get em this week. Win a flag for the first time in 57 years now it’s time to save the world! Go Narrm!

Neither of which have anything to do with Melbourne which begs the question as to why even if you DID have a legitimate reason to question them, you would make such a suggestion
What does the Queens birthday have to do with Melbourne? What do LGBT rights have to do with 36 people running around an oval after a leather ball? What does Anzac day have to do with the AFL?

Some other arbitrary questions you can ask yourself

Don't mind it but so ******* tokenistic.
Change their name for a week tick the box than back to it.
Will they
  • continue to acknowledge the indigenous contribution to the founding of the game
  • promote a change of the flag anthem and a re work of indediginous culture into our laws
Will they commit to addressing domestic indigenous issues?
Or are they happily jumping on the gravy train promoting their flag?
I acknowledge the Melbourne players think it's a good idea so go with it by all means. But for overall change? Very sceptical

I'm entitled to an opinion without being called a flog 🙄. I have a lot of respect for the indigenous people and have spent time out in the rural communities and APY lands learning about their culture from the people themselves.
I've already clarified I don't think it's a bad idea, I just don't understand the point, if they truly want to make a difference and treat it with respect, then they should officially rename themselves Narrm. Otherwise to me it just looks like their using it as some publicity tool to promote themselves and their indigenous round Guernsey.

Now I have absolutely no idea what happens with the proceeds from their indigenous guernsey sales, but I'd hope at least some of the profit, if not all of it, goes towards community outreach programs and support. If that's the case, then yeah I'm all for it and I'll be the first to say good on them
I was wrong, you are that dense.

Have to agree, it just seems like yet another pointless exploitation of the world's most disadvantaged people

Will they
  • continue to acknowledge the indigenous contribution to the founding of the game
  • promote a change of the flag anthem and a re work of indediginous culture into our laws
I acknowledge the Melbourne players think it's a good idea so go with it by all means. But for overall change? Very sceptical
They should probably get on with curing cancer and ending world hunger too, call themselves a professional football club and they haven’t even made one submission to the UNHCR, let alone won a nobel prize!

I mean, it’s like they’re just a football club making a nice (but perhaps overdue) acknowledgement to the traditional owners of the land. Pathetic really.

Will they

No journey was ever completed without small steps

You've made this point before and we're still ignoring it because it's so stupid.
I know it's a hard question to answer, they have stated they are to be known as NARRM for two weeks and will play North Melbourne as the NARRM football club, we are to refer to them as such for that time. Why is it stupid to ask the question as to whether or not Melbourne football club should get any benefit from the obvious win that NARRM will have? Are you ignoring it because you don't know? You have to assume that the AFL has ticked off on this, but Melbourne will not be playing North Melbourne in Round 10, so enlighten me, who gets the points?

I hope Narrm is taking their eye off the ball now and we might be able to get em this week. Win a flag for the first time in 57 years now it’s time to save the world! Go Narrm!
What a football club! Not only are our players the best in the league, they also run the administration, community, marketing and PR teams apparently.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back