National Broadband Network

Remove this Banner Ad

If you think it's so hilarious, why don't you give us a rundown on what the members of your household typically use the internet for on an average day.

For most people it will be something like:

Facebook,pr0n,Youtube,pr0n perhaps reading the news,pr0n and downloading media for entertainment purposes more pr0n. That's it.
Edited for truth

That's because health is actually necessary. It's debatable whether fast internet is. Will you die if you don't have fast internet? Will your job be significantly affected? Will your kids go hungry?

The primary point here is that for most people, internet is primarily for entertainment. Traditionally, we let people pay for that stuff themselves. It is not a necessity, like water.

We don't even pay for people's food. Why should we pay for their internet? It doesn't make any sense to me. If people want super-fast internet then that is a perfectly valid preference, but it's a preference they should fund themselves.

To me the NBN is like buying everyone a luxury car. A lot of people would think "gee, exactly what I wanted!", whereas a lot of other people would say "I would have rather just had my $50k back". That's why it's usually better to just let people keep their money so they can spend it on the things I want, rather than trying to guess what everyone wants and then confiscate their money to buy it for them.

It's no coincidence that the main supporters of the NBN are young, heavy internet users. If you ask someone from a different demographic what they wanted from their government, you'd get some much different answers than "fibre optic internet".

And yet both parties want to build one (one plan just far shitter than the other). Unlucky!

Shrugs. That’s what it costs mate. It’s a massive infrastructure project. They don’t come cheap. im sure you would’ve thought connecting the country with copper was a huge waste of money too, but society must move forward despite the technophobes.

it sounds more like anti-competitive behaviour by taking out the competition

And yet both parties want to build one (one plan just far shitter than the other). Unlucky!

I don't think the Liberals had any plan to build one before Labor put it on the table. They had to deal with what they were given, which was that Labor had already invested a significant amount into the NBN by the time they took power. By far the best solution would have been to let the market sort it out, but that decision was taken out of their hands.

Note that neither party are particularly shy about spending boatloads of cash on stuff. Unfortunately promising free stuff gets votes (even when it's not free). That's why taxation and spending increases every year.

03_spending_growth-1.gif

Yeah, but it was still a platform the libs took to the election. They could have reneged on the NBN (and paid the corresponding costs) if they’d really wanted to. instead they’ve chosen to bastardise the project to spend almost as much, and deliver far less.

yeah, like those damned roads! useless and inefficient things! should've been built by the private sector and user pays! why should i have to pay for roads i never use!?
They were about to be built. The same as the copper network.
But the Government keeps monopolising the industry and stealing our money!

Anyway, the good news is now that we have cut health and education, we can get an inferior NBN!

They were about to be built. The same as the copper network.
But the Government keeps monopolising the industry and stealing our money!

Anyway, the good news is now that we have cut health and education, we can get an inferior NBN!

Cut health? You mean a contribution

Cut education? You mean our most privileged members of society having to repay their hecs?

Inferior NBN? You mean the real one not the $4.7b one that Rudd promised that then became $43b that then became &73-94b and probably impossible to deliver? So you really you mean the real NBN?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

nice gloss coat

you'll need to elaborate.

the $4.7B figure thrown around was never for an FTTP model and i feel it's disingenuous to use it in an argument. the speculative figure you then refer to is exactly that, speculative.

regardless, the current government's plan is still in the ballpark as far as expenses go, but is extra s**t on several levels. so yes, "inferior" is a perfectly accurate term to use.

you'll need to elaborate.

the $4.7B figure thrown around was never for an FTTP model and i feel it's disingenuous to use it in an argument. the speculative figure you then refer to is exactly that, speculative.

regardless, the current government's plan is still in the ballpark as far as expenses go, but is extra s**t on several levels. so yes, "inferior" is a perfectly accurate term to use.

So what price is reasonable for the superior NBN?

I would be happy if they built fttp or fttn but the invoice was sent to the property owner not the tax payer.

Like strata fees, if the invoice can't be paid it is secured to the property.

That way the beneficiary of the value add pays.

So what price is reasonable for the superior NBN?

any price that is easily within the ballpark of FTTN should definitely be considered.

i'd like to see some figures re how long it is expected to take to pay itself off before i'd commit to an exact figure. what price do you think is reasonable given we're talking about the backbone of Oz telecommunications? my position is really that at some stage a national fiber network needs to be built, and selfishly i'd like it to be while i get to use it, and practically i don't see any reason why waiting provides any benefits.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back