National Broadband Network

Remove this Banner Ad

That s the job of the developer...so???
In any case I immediately pointed out that you pay for everything, in way way or another...so who pays when is moot.
The issue is what you are paying for.
In Abbotts case we will be paying for what is already 10 year old technology which when completed will be 20 year old technology.

I think you have just about worked it out.

hooray!

now just join the final dot and colour it in. Well done in advance!

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-12-14/turnbull-announces-new-deal-on-nbn/5966276

Is this some kind of sick joke? Why the hell would you buy back the copper network that's at the end of its life? It's almost certainly not fit for what they are trying to do with it never mind what they want to do with it being bloody stupid. Telstra must be laughing all the way to the bank.

Is Turnbull trying to out stupid his colleagues?

I think you have just about worked it out.

hooray!

now just join the final dot and colour it in. Well done in advance!
I think I had that worked out the instant Tony tried to say the word Broadband 5-6 years ago.
Even Catweasel has better grasp of technology than the current Liberal menagerie.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-12-14/turnbull-announces-new-deal-on-nbn/5966276

Is this some kind of sick joke? Why the hell would you buy back the copper network that's at the end of its life? It's almost certainly not fit for what they are trying to do with it never mind what they want to do with it being bloody stupid. Telstra must be laughing all the way to the bank.

Is Turnbull trying to out stupid his colleagues?
He wants us to buy it back from his mates who own it....in return they'll invest the lucre in his bank.

I think I had that worked out the instant Tony tried to say the word Broadband 5-6 years ago.
Even Catweasel has better grasp of technology than the current Liberal menagerie.

what have you worked out?

He wants us to buy it back from his mates who own it....in return they'll invest the lucre in his bank.

So Labor could have saved $11B by choosing the best solution for each situation. Rather they chose to give Telstra's shareholders $11B to lock out competition, lock in sub-optimal connection choices and lock in deficits into our budget?

wow, just wow!

Turdball and all his Telstra shareholding mates on the NBNco board should be done for insider trading or something over this.

really guys?

how on earth?

Turdball and all his Telstra shareholding mates on the NBNco board should be done for insider trading or something over this.

LOL

insider trading....LOL

please go on and explain what insider trading occurred. Please add names and details.

do you even know what insider trading is?

LOL

insider trading....LOL

please go on and explain what insider trading occurred. Please add names and details.

do you even know what insider trading is?
or something, I know this wouldn't technically be insider trading, but they've just gone and made a deal that does nothing for the company they are meant to be representing but does a hell of a lot for Telstra shareholder like themselves, surely their is some law they have broken as company directors.

or something, I know this wouldn't technically be insider trading, but they've just gone and made a deal that does nothing for the company they are meant to be representing but does a hell of a lot for Telstra shareholder like themselves, surely their is some law they have broken as company directors.

no just the opposite

it just highlights the $11B telstra deal was rushed and no doubt a way of eliminating the competition to ensure the NBN take up rate justified the build. Imagine if only 5-10% of potential customers signed up?

this was all about saving Labor's face.

Don't get me wrong, I want the best systems too just the same way I once wanted a ferrari, reebok shoes and a super model. but we need to take the politics out of this and be a little pragmatic. unfortunately this was a $4b vote winning policy that has turned into a $60+B white elephant, thus that is unlikely.

this was all about saving Labor's face.
This has nothing to do with Labor, it's all about Turdball's fraudband and paying Telstra 11 billion for something not fit for service and on it's last legs.

Under Labor they only got paid if it was fit for service and as they transferred customers across to NBN Co's network i.e. something that ensured NBN Co would make a return on the governments investment.

Last edited:
This has nothing to do with Labor, it's all about Turdball's fraudband and paying Telstra 11 billion for something not fit for service and on it's last legs.

Under Labor they only got paid if it was fit for service and as they transferred customers across to NBN Co's network i.e. something that ensured NBN Co would make a return on the governments investment.

I think you're hanging your hat on an NBN that was never going to happen and the $11b deal was labor's

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No I'm talking about Turdball's new 11 Billion Dollar deal with Telstra.

oh and Labor's dishonest approach to governance and cash management. The $11b was the tip of the ice-berg:

"NBN Co has separately signed contracts that involve payments over forty years to Telstra with a face value exceeding $50 billion if paid in full. These include a ‘PSAA’ payment of about $1500 each time NBN Co takes over a premise previously connected to Telstra’s networks. The payments compensate Telstra for loss of value arising from its June 2011 agreement to migrate its customers to the NBN, shut its copper and HFC networks, and grant long‐term leases to NBN Co over its ducts, exchanges and backhaul infrastructure."

So I have no doubt, this deal is part of an out of court settlement. Thanks Labor, our youth are indebted to you!

If this project no longer can be classified as "off budget", I wonder if the Rudd household will underwrite the losses?
If it is now "on budget" then that is the result of Turdball and the Lietoalls and again has nothing to do with Labor, Rudd or Gillard.

We wouldn't have this problem if some dickhead hadn't sold it all off in the first place.

The whole reason we sold it off, was we couldn't afford the capex upgrades to keep up with technology. Where we F'd up is we didn't split the retail and infrastructure and sell off both. If we were smarter we would have created 7 or more vertically aligned businesses all with infrastructure and retail arms.

This later strategy is being deployed with the re-merger of power companies in WA and then fresh de-mergers. I'm not sure if this has been announced yet but it makes absolute sense.

If it is now "on budget" then that is the result of Turdball and the Lietoalls and again has nothing to do with Labor, Rudd or Gillard.

no by that I mean they do not consider the cost as a liability. I think governments call it a PNFC or something like that.

(oh I said in the above post: budget but the word should have been books)

You keep telling yourself that. :rolleyes:

of course their were other issues: workforce and IR issues, a lazy balance sheet etc

The privatisation hasn't gone well with a bad privatisation model but government stepping in again with NBNco has attested to the fact that governments should stay out of business especially if they are doing so for political reasons.

You keep telling yourself that. :rolleyes:

$200+B of net debt plus $50B of NBN debt coming on the books would suggest otherwise

then add another $50b for an FTTP if you like

then add state debt and personal debt

Last edited:
$200+B of net debt plus $50B of NBN debt coming on the books would suggest otherwise
The $200+ Billion is irrelevant to this discussion and NBN Co via the government haven't borrowed anywhere near $50B yet.
then add another $50b for an FTTP if you like
I won't because even Turdball's hatchet job reviews don't put FTTP at that high of an additional figure.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back