Preview National Draft discussion (Picks 14, 35, 43, 58)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
My reasoning is that if they make the team (and have made it on merit) that they would in theory improve the overall starting 22.

This year we lost Vince as a starting 18, but didnt have anyone even close enough to his level to make up for this loss and hence weakened our starting 22.
Eddie Betts?
Edit: Sorry, I was too slow Kane McGoodwin

Last edited:

What is the point you are trying to make? I never said pick 14 (or 10) would guarantee you an A class player!:confused:

Happy to move on, the point was that heaven forbid we get a player like VB at pick 14. You said you never considered VB as an A Class player, my thought was you were inferring that the two were linked - thinking that was why you brought it into the conversation.

There is a myriad of reasons why it is hard to pick the champions, however as we progress and become more sophisticated with the way we identify and develop players the difficulty will reduce.

Not true. It's not about 'more sophistication' and never will be. But again, lets leave this Gattaca-like discussion for another time :)

"I wouldn't be happy with a meat pie for $14 - but would be happy with meat and gravy in a pastry package"

As much as we would like it not to be the case, vB is a plodding tagger and will struggle to hold his spot as more talented midfielders with more composure and impact develop. He is the AFC version of Dom Cassisi.

No worries Matty, I think VB is coming to the end of a great career - that would be the envy of many of is peers ... I think you underestimate the value of players like VB. You seem to underestimate the value of his leadership, and sell him short in both commitment and skill. Thats ok, we don't have to agree. He most surely will make way for someone, sometime be it for lack of form or loss of fitness or injury - but no matter how many times you say it ... he is no plodder, he is no hack, he is (to use a BF term) no spud.

Happy to move on, the point was that heaven forbid we get a player like VB at pick 14. You said you never considered VB as an A Class player, my thought was you were inferring that the two were linked - thinking that was why you brought it into the conversation.

Not true. It's not about 'more sophistication' and never will be. But again, lets leave this Gattaca-like discussion for another time :)

No worries Matty, I think VB is coming to the end of a great career - that would be the envy of many of is peers ... I think you underestimate the value of players like VB. You seem to underestimate the value of his leadership, and sell him short in both commitment and skill. Thats ok, we don't have to agree. He most surely will make way for someone, sometime be it for lack of form or loss of fitness or injury - but no matter how many times you say it ... he is no plodder, he is no hack, he is (to use a BF term) no spud.
Out if curiosity where would you rank VB among our team?

Personally I probably wouldn't rank him in the top 10. I think he had skills (not the pendleburry type) and fitness but he has been a bit of a Mr. Fix-it over his career. Where do you also see his best position for the team?

He most surely will make way for someone, sometime be it for lack of form or loss of fitness or injury - but no matter how many times you say it ... he is no plodder, he is no hack, he is (to use a BF term) no spud.

Oh I don't think he's a hack or a spud. That goes to far. Just a plodder. One paced, no weapons, no impact.

Out if curiosity where would you rank VB among our team?

Personally I probably wouldn't rank him in the top 10. I think he had skills (not the pendleburry type) and fitness but he has been a bit of a Mr. Fix-it over his career. Where do you also see his best position for the team?
Depends what we are ranking on ... If we are rating on his influence on others, attitude and leadership - not many would be above him ... maybe Tex and Sloane would be around his mark.

I am sure that our new coach would like what he sees in VB, he leads through actions and is unselfish in the extreme. Walsh keeps talking about team-first players for a reason, its not just some airy-fairy gobbledegook.

VB also is a good ball user, has a hard attack on the player and the ball - and has the biggest tank in the club.

He has been a very important player to the crows, whether he can maintain that position after injury and a year off we will see - I expect he will.

You can guarantee that none of these players were drafted to have an impact in their first year, they were drafted to have a lasting impact over their careers.

Huge difference.

If you used the measure of "which will have a bigger influence in their first year" to decide between two players, you'd be rightly deemed nuts.
My quote was in response to that we brought no one in to our starting 22 to replace vince, which was clearly incorrect as we gained betts.

The others responded to a different quote...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not a good theory mate.

Check through our best players and see how many of them made a serious contribution in their first year.

Hell, check throughout the competition. Very very rare for a young draftee to improve a 22 in his first year. I can't think of 1 who has made a big impact.
Daniel Rich.

Caught up with a mate of mine that I had not seen for a while at the stones concert sat night. He just happens to be a former 200 game player. Asked him his thoughts on danger in 2016 any they were very negative indicating he did not think he would be around past 2015...

Not a good theory mate.

Check through our best players and see how many of them made a serious contribution in their first year.

Hell, check throughout the competition. Very very rare for a young draftee to improve a 22 in his first year. I can't think of 1 who has made a big impact.

Luke Dunstan.

Caught up with a mate of mine that I had not seen for a while at the stones concert sat night. He just happens to be a former 200 game player. Asked him his thoughts on danger in 2016 any they were very negative indicating he did not think he would be around past 2015...

its very loud at concerts...are you sure your mate didn't think you said Jagger instead of Danger?

:)

With all due respect as you have just joined and this is your first post. I think you will find hardly anyone will believe you as we have had a lot of trolls join recently with 'sources' that is utter crap.

With all due respect as you have just joined and this is your first post. I think you will find hardly anyone will believe you as we have had a lot of trolls join recently with 'sources' that is utter crap.

Either way, former players dont magically know whats going on inside the head of everyone that plays for their old team.

I want Menadue at 14 but I think we will get Durdin
Yeah I like your thinking.

Goddard looks to be west bound and we may have the word Durdin will slide to us.

But if the likes of Menadue, Cockatoo or Garlett are available they would have to be tempted

Yeah I like your thinking.

Goddard looks to be west bound and we may have the word Durdin will slide to us.

But if the likes of Menadue, Cockatoo or Garlett are available they would have to be tempted

Menadue is like a Brodie Smith or Isaac Smith and I think it will be more beneficial for us if we take a HB flank player/midfielder. If we selected Menadue for example he would need 2 good pre-seasons as he's very light (69 kilos) so he needs to bulk up.

Goddard highly rated by Freo , Demons Lever? , GWS Durdin?. Marchbank I don't rate at all.

But other than Menadue , I would want Cockatoo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back