Game Day 2023 AFL DRAFT

Remove this Banner Ad

There has been comprehensive reports of the Crows/Curtin timeline.

1) The AFC followed Curtin’s progress quite closely during 2021 and 2022 (along with many other Kids).

2) Hamish etc interviewed Curtin when the AFC was in Perth during the 2023 preseason.

3) After our strong start to 2023 it was obvious that we would not have access to Curtin who was predicted to go in the top 5 players, possibly pick 1 or 2.

4) Prior to the Kangas surprise win in the final round, everyone expected West Coast to pick up Curtin at pick 2 which could slide to pick 3 due to the McKay compensation.

5) Once West Coast had pick 1 it was still assumed that they would take Curtin. North Melbourne offered WC peanuts to swap Pick 1 and 2 in the belief that WC would select Curtin and North would still get Harley Reid.

6) There was increased pressure on WC to take “generational player” Reid and use their 2024 1st rounder to get Curtin.

7) The Melbourne teams with picks 2-6 were concerned re the go home factor for Curtin plus some didn’t have a high need for a tall defender/forward/midfielder???

8) Last weekend GWS contacted clubs including the Crows to see what they might offer if Curtin slipped to pick 7.

9) We were very interested but had not spoken to Curtin since February. We quickly arranged to meet with Curtin and his parents in Melbourne on the night before the draft.

10) We were pleasantly surprised when we asked Curtin and his parents how they would feel about him moving to Adelaide. “We love Adelaide, spent a couple of years in Adelaide when Curtin was a toddler, have relatives in Adelaide and often visit”.

11) Curtin slides to pick 8 (previously pick 7) and West Coast offer to swap their 2024 first round pick for pick 8 = Curtin.

12) GWS prefer the Adelaide offer which gives them their two preferred players this year plus our second rounder next year.

THE BOTTOMLINE

Both Curtin and his parents knew prior to the draft that there was a possibility he would end up at the Crows. Naturally they were hoping that West Coast could get the deal done but the outcome was no surprise.

My information is based on info from the AFC, GWS, WC and AFL journalists 😁.

Nope, I reckon the trade was embargoed. Fox footy just uses the WCE as the obvious trade in the story.

Also, can't get everything right. Make it too obvious.

90 percent strike right, 10 percent failure on the first round is enough to make people think the telecast was "live".

Even ignoring the pick 8 prediction. FoxFooty got way too much right in their guess to not think the telecast is staged and the actual draft is sorted.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Ok - I'm going to agree to disagree with you.

I accept that there's a degree of knowledge in advance. Just not to extent you are.

It also doesn't explain why every player picked in the first round wasn't in attendance? With the exception of a number of interstate draftees.

And again, the original conversation was in regard to DC being surprised. Why was he surprised, if he already knew? I accept he knew there was a genuine possibility

I've always liked the expression '3 people can keep a secret, if 2 of them are dead'

Even Twomey went to lengths to explain his final phantom draft is focussed on the players that'll be picked, not the clubs that'll draft them

Surely if everything was planned and agreed to in advance the AFL would be able to present a draft night that wasn't so interminably boring? Five minutes waits before a bid, then waiting to see if it is matched, then five more minutes...

If that's the "theatre" the AFL is organising in advance then they suck at it.

The much more likely scenario is that there isn't a grand conspiracy to organise the first round, and clubs are waiting to see who blinks first. And phantom drafters know what will happen for the most part because the serious ones have sources at every club, and the rest just copy the serious ones.

Last edited:

Surely if everything was planned and agreed to in advance the AFL would be able to present a draft night that wasn't so interminably boring? Five minutes waits before a bid, then waiting to see if it is matched, then five more minutes...

If that's the "theatre" the AFL is organising in advance then they suck at it.

The much more likely scenario is that there isn't a grand conspiracy to organise the first round, and clubs are waiting to see who blinks first. And phantom drafters know what will happen for the most part because the serious ones have sources at every club, and the rest just copy the serious ones.
Maybe you are right.

The 5 minute pauses are boring. But if the picks go too quick, could be over in ten minutes.

I don't think it meticulously planned. Probably somewhere in the middle

I do think, for the first round, the recruiters are pretty sure who is picking who. Or who wants who. They all know each other and see each other at games and chat. Seen that first hand.

The talent pool is quite small.

Then you work out your draft order to get that guy.

I do believe the trades are done before the telecast. If not official, agreed too. AFL embargo them as part of the telecast.

Curtain surprised a cause of concern? Who cares. Sloaney cried when we drafted him. Worst possible reaction. Can't get rid of him now.

Maybe you are right.

The 5 minute pauses are boring. But if the picks go too quick, could be over in ten minutes.

I don't think it meticulously planned. Probably somewhere in the middle

I do think, for the first round, the recruiters are pretty sure who is picking who. Or who wants who. They all know each other and see each other at games and chat. Seen that first hand.

The talent pool is quite small.

Then you work out your draft order to get that guy.

I do believe the trades are done before the telecast. If not official, agreed too. AFL embargo them as part of the telecast.

Curtain surprised a cause of concern? Who cares. Sloaney cried when we drafted him. Worst possible reaction. Can't get rid of him now.

I think it could be done in one night. Like a 4 hour draft.
Three minutes a pick. Extra time for trades.
Take a break for 20 minutes after first round to present the top 10.

There has been comprehensive reports of the Crows/Curtin timeline.

1) The AFC followed Curtin’s progress quite closely during 2021 and 2022 (along with many other Kids).

2) Hamish etc interviewed Curtin when the AFC was in Perth during the 2023 preseason.

3) After our strong start to 2023 it was obvious that we would not have access to Curtin who was predicted to go in the top 5 players, possibly pick 1 or 2.

4) Prior to the Kangas surprise win in the final round, everyone expected West Coast to pick up Curtin at pick 2 which could slide to pick 3 due to the McKay compensation.

5) Once West Coast had pick 1 it was still assumed that they would take Curtin. North Melbourne offered WC peanuts to swap Pick 1 and 2 in the belief that WC would select Curtin and North would still get Harley Reid.

6) There was increased pressure on WC to take “generational player” Reid and use their 2024 1st rounder to get Curtin.

7) The Melbourne teams with picks 2-6 were concerned re the go home factor for Curtin plus some didn’t have a high need for a tall defender/forward/midfielder???

8) Last weekend GWS contacted clubs including the Crows to see what they might offer if Curtin slipped to pick 7.

9) We were very interested but had not spoken to Curtin since February. We quickly arranged to meet with Curtin and his parents in Melbourne on the night before the draft.

10) We were pleasantly surprised when we asked Curtin and his parents how they would feel about him moving to Adelaide. “We love Adelaide, spent a couple of years in Adelaide when Curtin was a toddler, have relatives in Adelaide and often visit”.

11) Curtin slides to pick 8 (previously pick 7) and West Coast offer to swap their 2024 first round pick for pick 8 = Curtin.

12) GWS prefer the Adelaide offer which gives them their two preferred players this year plus our second rounder next year.

THE BOTTOMLINE

Both Curtin and his parents knew prior to the draft that there was a possibility he would end up at the Crows. Naturally they were hoping that West Coast could get the deal done but the outcome was no surprise.

My information is based on info from the AFC, GWS, WC and AFL journalists 😁.
This is consistent with what I have heard too.

Curtain would have known he was going to be a Crow a few days before the draft.

His reaction was probably more of relief that it is official.

The actual televised draft is theatre for TV. Teams told to take the full allotment of time to pick, draftees rehearsed in what to say, including knowing the team that picked them. So there are no nervous slips ups.
Forgetting the fact the guy's name is Curtin - what you're suggesting contradicts what he said himself at the post-draft press event.

Nope, I reckon the trade was embargoed. Fox footy just uses the WCE as the obvious trade in the story.

Also, can't get everything right. Make it too obvious.

90 percent strike right, 10 percent failure on the first round is enough to make people think the telecast was "live".

Even ignoring the pick 8 prediction. FoxFooty got way too much right in their guess to not think the telecast is staged and the actual draft is sorted.

This post has strong flat earth vibes.

So I’ve been told by someone who spoke to the Curtin family on draft night that the AFC showed very little interest in Daniel up until 24 hours out. The Curtin’s wanted to stay in WA, but had warmed to the idea of going to Vic. Adelaide was basically a complete shock and they were barely prepared for it. Hence the lack of enthusiasm on draft night.

Up to the club now to make him and his family comfortable. Which I’m backing the club in to do. Not the best start though.
Why do you claim "not the best start though"? What is bad about what AFC did? They didn't inform all the journalists of their different plans?

AFC did speak to Curtin & his family & appears they are happier for him to be in Adelaide than Melbourne with family connections (clearly Perth was preferred).

AFC did their due dilligence, even moreso when he became a possibility via a trade with GWS.

Forgetting the fact the guy's name is Curtin - what you're suggesting contradicts what he said himself at the post-draft press event.

Yeah maybe he didn't know. Got to take what he says.

Given the need and Clarkson direct contact, surprised North didn't get him.

Why do you claim "not the best start though"? What is bad about what AFC did? They didn't inform all the journalists of their different plans?

AFC did speak to Curtin & his family & appears they are happier for him to be in Adelaide than Melbourne with family connections (clearly Perth was preferred).

AFC did their due dilligence, even moreso when he became a possibility via a trade with GWS.
I think maybe he shouldn't have said "not and ideal start". That's just opinion.
But the other things posted seem likely. By nature of the club not thinking they would have access.

Ideally the gun interstate player has wrapped their head around moving states more than 24 hours out from the draft, because it is a big moment in their lives.
Unfortunately for the crows couldn't easily be managed because they wouldn't have been able to send strong commitments until the night before.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah maybe he didn't know. Got to take what he says.

Given the need and Clarkson direct contact, surprised North didn't get him.

I think North will regret it.
As they have with McDonald.
Not taking gun KPPs will come back to haunt them. Can't win a flag with 10 midfielders. Only 3 can play in there at any point in time.

You are describing the theatre the AFL and media build up to get people to watch and absorb the content.

The reality is the actual draft is ran by a bunch of recruiters who spend years planning for each draft. By the time the first night comes it is sorted. First round at least.

Compare the activity in the rooms the first night compared to the second night. The second night latter rounds much more actual decions made on the fly.

The GWS trade was most likely negotiated well before the night.

Yes Essendon/Geelong would have taken him. And we needed that trade. But among all the recruiting guys they knew it was done before the telecast.

Mate you are WRONG

Hopefully our guys don't melt under Finals pressure like Butters et El did.

Our depth is starting to look better, once you rotate butter, rozee and jhf, they're not much there, and a team will tag butters.

If we have rach, curtin, soligo and rankine rotating with Dawson and Laird, we are much stronger.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

One massive reason the Curtin celebration was low key was that every other player had 20 mates present, especially the bushrangers table. Curtin only had his immediate family, including a couple of relieved parents, and a few slightly awkward younger brothers.

The other is that Curtin is a bit more reserved than say O'Sullivan, who is friends with everyone. So he just celebrated casually.

Let's let the kid play, hopefully extend soon, I'm sure the manager will be encouraging it.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I said a few times the AFC can’t be blamed, as they did not expect to get near him. All parties have handled it well in the circumstances. I’m merely saying it would have been preferable to have built a stronger relationship, earlier.

For the record, I anticipate both club and player/family will embrace each other and we’ll be on our way.

I’ll be very reluctant to post anything I hear/get told from now on. Not worth it.

I like having a good trading relationship with GC and GWS.

Somehow feels like we can continue to be mutually beneficial for each other.
Particularly if they keep needing points for academy selections...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back