NEAFL- 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

i was told if a local team plays an afl team in any final. the game will be hosted by the local team
Well if the Thunder make it against an AFL side, as Chikka said, the Grand Final will be in Darwin. Thus us locals don't see the GF unless we want to travel to Darwin,,,, how stupid ! I guess a positive thing is the crowd,,,,, it would be 7000 to 9000 I reckon.

Its a damn shame/criminal that a certain club, which I am a supporter of, don't give all 35 players on the list a go .....at least ONE game to prove themselves. When there's no reserves and no-one at the clubs cares enough to watch a QAFL Games how are these passionate players of the game ever going to make it back to the NEAFL.
Interesting post, Bain from Redlands comes to mind, can't recall him getting a game yet but may struggle to fit in to Redlands fwd half under the current structure, definitely hitting the scoreboard on a regular basis. Rutledge from Asp another one but has his work cutout forcing his way into the current bees back half, Nick Jackson has probably leap frogged Aiden. As for the sharks I can only think of Pruess, Holland, Blood, Mutu, Haberfield, Trask ( a couple maybe ), Fraser ( a couple maybe ) that have either not played or only played sparingly, I may have this completely wrong, or maybe around the mark.

Its not a SE Qld comp Stuy!! Would you like Ainslie v Sydeny Swans GF to be played at yeronga???:confused:
SMY, I obviously know this. as for your example, that GF scenario would not be played at Yeronga, it would be played in Sydney or Canberra. Thus we locals still miss out on seeing the GF .!!

SMY, I obviously know this. as for your example, that GF scenario would not be played at Yeronga, it would be played in Sydney or Canberra. Thus we locals still miss out on seeing the GF .!!

Gentlemen and Ladies of course,

I don't really care where they play even if any of the home sides get any final, as long as they THE NEAFL MEDIA DEPARTMENT get someone technical on board to fix the current NEAFL live stream vision, for a competition that has a fair bit of interest in support (which is building steadily), if they are going to stream games to the punters then do it professionally not half arsed as it has been lately.

Gentlemen and Ladies of course,

I don't really care where they play even if any of the home sides get any final, as long as they THE NEAFL MEDIA DEPARTMENT get someone technical on board to fix the current NEAFL live stream vision, for a competition that has a fair bit of interest in support (which is building steadily), if they are going to stream games to the punters then do it professionally not half arsed as it has been lately.
Billy, I see only one streaming game this week, have they run out of money or just don't care.

Billy, I see only one streaming game this week, have they run out of money or just don't care.

LAB,

I am afraid to think it might be the latter, money is not the issue, I fear its just the good old fashion complacency where, who gives a Rats Rectum and who are we the NEAFL answerable too??????? If I was a supporter in NSW or ACT I would be spewing - Are the supporters of these clubs no longer an equal as in the past?

Getting back to my other point - In this day and age a few technical tune ups would not break the bank one would think, It seems a shame when they go to a lot of trouble and I would say expense to have on the QLD based games, guys like Mark Kennedy from "Triple M" (Statistician and sometimes broadcaster) and Simon Price from 4BC doing the call along with the other one eyed (Drongo) form the NEAFL Media Department doing the special comments - They have got a fair bit of respectability and professionalism currently, its just the rubbish time lapses, the loss of vision and the poor picture quality that annoys the hell out of me. But then am I expecting too much??? When all other states in a second tier AFL competition - VFL, SANFL and WAFL are televised in each state, a second class form of media for us could be at least tuned up for us to a standard of, if we cant be there, then at least stream it so we can see it semi live.

Redlands were robbed today !! How can you have such abysmal umpiring in such a clutch game. AFLQ umpires need to do an apprenticeship in either Victoria or Adelaide. It was like they had never umpired a wet weather game before, and thought it would be a good idea to umpire it like an under 8's game.

Note, Missing a shot from inside the goal square is also in-execusable, even at under 8's.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watched Redlands vs Thunder today on a water logged surface. Thunder adjusted to wet weather football better and after quarter time had the upper hand for the remainder of the game,Redland threatened all game, but Thunder looked like always winning.Redland supporters were going off at numerous umpire decisions and proberly got the wrong roll of the dice, but as a neutral observer, must say the Thunder were on the wrong end of some poor umpiring decisions as well, and must say, Thunder got the better of the umpiring decisions because they played to the conditions better . Ex Western Bulldog player, Djkerra is a very good.

HAHAHA remember one of my previous alcahol induced rants in a previous post about the quality of the live feeds if it worked at all. There are people like myself in faraway places that want to watch the 2nd tier comp and most of the time turns to s@#t. LAB well said

HAHAHA remember one of my previous alcahol induced rants in a previous post about the quality of the live feeds if it worked at all. There are people like myself in faraway places that want to watch the 2nd tier comp and most of the time turns to s@#t. LAB well said

nqtragic,

Are you sure you are still not in that state of alcahol inducement, I think LAB made the observation regarding the lack of coverage which was pertinent and I continued with the rant (not that I am asking for any kudos). But if we can fix it by voicing our concerns then Great, but then again don't hold your breath as blue might be the colour of the future.

nqtragic,

Are you sure you are still not in that state of alcahol inducement, I think LAB made the observation regarding the lack of coverage which was pertinent and I continued with the rant (not that I am asking for any kudos). But if we can fix it by voicing our concerns then Great, but then again don't hold your breath as blue might be the colour of the future.
BB yep induced again :)

Redlands were robbed today !! How can you have such abysmal umpiring in such a clutch game. AFLQ umpires need to do an apprenticeship in either Victoria or Adelaide. It was like they had never umpired a wet weather game before, and thought it would be a good idea to umpire it like an under 8's game.

Note, Missing a shot from inside the goal square is also in-execusable, even at under 8's.

Pea nut,

For every whinge about the standard of umpiring at games at all levels and in forums such as these, I would love a $$$$ for these. There is only one person + 50% of the spectators who believe the decision by the umpire is correct and that is from the guy or girl who makes it. A 50% strike rate has in the past been educated as being a good thing to all umpires, so really they can't be wrong - unless they make a stinker and if they do - big deal. Yes its disappointing when we lose but if we blame the umpires then we are not really in control of our emotions - If our footy team had total control of the footy then we would not lose any game - If and when we give up the ball, we the give up control and therefore we open the game up to an interpretation by others (The umpires). At the end of the day IMO they (The umpires) don't really care who wins or loses as long as, in their interpretation the game is played fairly and within the rules, then they have played there part and football is then the winner. It will be a sad day if we have to wait until after the game to pick the bones out of each play, to see if the adjudicators (The umpires) have made a mistake and then to right these - The game is the game and the umpiring will be as good as we accept it to be at the standard given, if we don't accept this standard then phone the umpires recruitment numbers and have a crack to help make it better.

Pea nut,

For every whinge about the standard of umpiring at games at all levels and in forums such as these, I would love a $$$$ for these. There is only one person + 50% of the spectators who believe the decision by the umpire is correct and that is from the guy or girl who makes it. A 50% strike rate has in the past been educated as being a good thing to all umpires, so really they can't be wrong - unless they make a stinker and if they do - big deal. Yes its disappointing when we lose but if we blame the umpires then we are not really in control of our emotions - If our footy team had total control of the footy then we would not lose any game - If and when we give up the ball, we the give up control and therefore we open the game up to an interpretation by others (The umpires). At the end of the day IMO they (The umpires) don't really care who wins or loses as long as, in their interpretation the game is played fairly and within the rules, then they have played there part and football is then the winner. It will be a sad day if we have to wait until after the game to pick the bones out of each play, to see if the adjudicators (The umpires) have made a mistake and then to right these - The game is the game and the umpiring will be as good as we accept it to be at the standard given, if we don't accept this standard then phone the umpires recruitment numbers and have a crack to help make it better.

Billy, exactly the point I was making. The standard of umpiring is not good enough for a competition that is supposed to rival the VFL and SANFL.

NEAFL Forum readers,

Because I've been asked directly by Justabaraker, and because I'd simply like to dispel some of the unfounded rumors and ill-informed comments on this forum, I am going to provide comment on the Queanbeyan Tigers and our participation in the NEAFL. I've not been able to do so until now.

An article published in the local Queanbeyan Age late this afternoon (Tuesday) confirms that the Tigers are withdrawing from the NEAFL. The article follows an announcement by the AFL and appears to have been published at about the same time our players, coaches and support staff were being officially informed of the withdrawal and the reasons for it. The article can be read at: http://www.queanbeyanage.com.au/story/2466376/queanbeyan-tigers-pull-out-of-neafl/?cs=1655

Our proud club will be returning to a revamped AFL Canberra competition from next year. While the initial shock over the withdrawal will take some time to come to terms with for some of our players and supporters, in time I hope they come to terms with it the way I have. When a first heard several weeks ago of the likelihood of us not continuing in the NEAFL I was gutted. If I were 20 years younger I'd love to be playing NEAFL and testing myself week in week out against quality opposition, even future and recent AFL stars. But the reality is that financial constraints make it impossible for us to continue without jeapordising the long term future of our club.

I've come to terms with the decision to withdraw and am now looking forward to the next phase in our club's history. Before NEAFL we were a strong, highly successful, well resourced and well supported, proud club with deep roots in tradition. We'll be returning to community football where we'll quickly re-establish ourselves in the same vein.

The difficult task of match scheduling for the NEAFL, and the need for many standalone games, has in some respects impacted heavily on our club. Getting back to community footy and playing three grades all on the same day at one venue will re-build some lost atmosphere and peer support amongst the playing group. Playing all on the same day at the one venue will lighten the load for our large band of dedicated volunteer trainers/masseurs/strappers/timekeepers etc. We'll be able to get back to having team awards and more social functions at our licensed club, increasing camaraderie across the grades and improving turnover for the licensed club. We'll also be able to provide increased value for our sponsors.

Despite not competing at the highest level available to us, our club will remain strong. We have home facilities second to none in the ACT, volunteers who in their own words tonight "will stick with the players if the players stick with them". We have great people at our club and a desire to ensure we are stable and successful long into the future. We'll continue to provide opportunities and pathways for players coming through our juniors or being recruited to our club to play at the highest level they are capable of.

Yes, this decision will mean that some players and coaches will have to think long and hard about their own plans. Some of our players might like to continue playing NEAFL, albeit at another club. Some may seek the experience and remuneration of country footy, while some may now see themselves as being an even bigger part of the club's future at the level of footy we'll now play at.

To clear up some other rumours:
  • Kade Klemke loves the Queanbeyan Tigers and it is completely false to say he "can't get out of the place quick enough". He, like all of our better players, will have to make up his mind what his future will be. I can assure you he has not signed with Henty nor any other clubs and we'd love to keep him, if we can. The same goes for our other co-coach Josh Bryce. They are both quality people and quality players with long futures ahead of them as both players and coaches.
  • The Klemke-Bryce co-coaching appointment was not as a result, as some of the conspiracy theorists on here have suggested, any failures of coach or club. It was simply sensible succession planning by the club and an attempt to retain two high quality young players, both with coaching ambitions.
  • There are no "drug issues" at our club, just a single young player who made an ill-informed decision to take a pain killer to help get an injured knee through the 2012 Eastern Conference Final. He subsequently tested positive and fought long and hard to prove it was a one off error of judgement, all the while accepting his punishment and serving a lengthy suspension. His experience was used as an example to other NEAFL players and clubs during pre-season briefings about drug testing.
  • Our General Manager has not resigned because of what one poster on here quotes as how "some questionable characters can ruin a club like that in a few years with total disregard for honesty." However it is true that he has resigned. He has been in various paid and non-paid roles with the club for forty years and is nearing retirement age. He's simply tired from a job he has dedicated decades of his life to, 7 days a week during the season, and is looking forward to setting aside all of the issues a football manager must deal with. He is staying closely involved with the club and will continue as a member of our large band of volunteers.
I'd like to think the fact that I'm more than willing to use my own name on this forum that I can be trusted. I believe over the length of time I've been involved as a player, coach and umpire in local football in the ACT that I've earned that level of trust and respect and that what I have posted above will be accepted as written.

To all the clubs remaining in the NEAFL, all the best of luck to you. We've enjoyed coming up to Qld and Sydney to test ourselves, albeit it with limited success this year. We look forward the rest of the year where our First Grade, Under 18s and Women's grades are all well positioned for their finals campaigns. Their success will help to set us up for next year and for our future.

Players in our NEAFL team look forward to the last three matches, all at home, against the Giants (which will be another learning experience and chance to test themsleves against future stars) followed by Ainslie and Eastlake (which no doubt will add a little spice to those contests seeing as those clubs are remaining in the NEAFL for the timebeing).

I can also announce that in addition to informing our players tonight of the decision to withdraw from the NEAFL it was announced that I have been appointed as the new General Manager, Football Operations for the Queanbeyan Tigers - a job I can't wait to start in the next couple of weeks. It will be a big change for me after nearly 25 years in the public service, but it is one I'm really looking forward to.

My new role may mean less posts from me on this forum, but rest assured I will continue to read it for the entertainment value and will continue to post when I feel it necessary to correct the record or answer a direct question that I'm able to answer.

Regards,
Michael Goiser

Michael,

I admire your loyal support of your footy club and I understand the reasons for Belconnen and your club withdrawing from the Competition for next year, I wish you all the very best for the future and I am sure with your passion for your club and the game, the Tigers will still play a very big role within the AFL around your region and the same for the Magpies as well.

As a supporter of the new concept NEAFL competition, it saddens me to see any club pull out of something which is currently, work in progress and once the bugs are ironed out, IMO I hope it will be a very, very good 2nd tier AFL Competition in Australia.

With the withdrawal of Queanbeyan and Belconnen, we still have a presence of the two other traditional clubs of Ainslie and Eastlake from the ACT area. Which although not ideal, it still gives the better player around the region (should they wish) a chance to mix it with the best in a 2nd tier AFL Competition without having to relocate to another state.

Having said that, I for the life of me cannot understand or fathom how the AFL Competition in Sydney can only support 1 NEAFL Team from the greater Sydney region.

I watched with surprise the Hills Eagles v Aspley game up here in Brisbane and IMO the Hills Eagles looked like a side, given a few bolstering key position inclusions which would make them a powerhouse, as good as any side I have seen this season, they in fact looked like causing an upset at one stage in this game.

I am not an advocate for the AFL body topping up teams that struggle at a financial level in any competition, but surely a form of low interest financial support to an already established team within the current NEAFL competition, would in this case continue to increase the standard of the AFL game in Sydney by keeping two NEAFL clubs operating out of the Sydney region. Who ever is in charge of AFL/NSW has a lot of explaining to do as obviously they have not got a process in place that is moving AFL forward like the rest of the non traditional AFL states.

I can remember the mooting of the AFL/Qld here in Brisbane, that if the current 3 NEAFL clubs did not sign on to the new NEAFL concept - the AFL would establish a side out of the new Morten Bay Complex to make up the numbers for Qld.

What is the difference in Sydney?????????

Surely if the AFL are fair dinkum about the NEAFL competition moving forward, then it is an absolute MUST that at least like in the ACT, a two team representation come's out of the Sydney region, if not IMO, we are going to end up going backwards - maybe the Giants concept is a big waste of AFL and our money, if we can't sustain in the very least another 2nd tier Sydney team to support their and the Sydney Swans reserves side to play against.

Anyone at Belco v Sharks, would love an update across both teams
Sharks employed a bully attitude trying to push the belconnen boys around as well as a lot of cheap shots behind the play. They started a few push and shove melees at the end of the second and third quarters. They also seemed happy to bottle the game up and play an inside, contested brand of football which belconnen were just much better at on the day. I think if they used their apparent speed and focused on the football rather than trying to put their opposition off their game they may have had a much more competitive result. Belconnen's intensity and pressure was just far too good for the sharks, especially in a dominant 3rd quarter where Southport actually looked outclassed by the magpies slick ball movement and hard contested ball winning. It was a terrific result for our boys who well and truly out played there northern opponents.

Just a quick comment on the NEAFL streaming.

I was involved a few years back calling matches in Canberra and it was on a voluntary basis. There was no cash incentive to those calling the game, we did it for the love of local football.

Unfortunately for me my life circumstances changed and family sport became my main focus. Not to say I would not return but I think if we or NEAFL are going to conduct a professional product they can not continue to rely on people's good will and love of football.

Sharks employed a bully attitude trying to push the belconnen boys around as well as a lot of cheap shots behind the play. They started a few push and shove melees at the end of the second and third quarters. They also seemed happy to bottle the game up and play an inside, contested brand of football which belconnen were just much better at on the day. I think if they used their apparent speed and focused on the football rather than trying to put their opposition off their game they may have had a much more competitive result. Belconnen's intensity and pressure was just far too good for the sharks, especially in a dominant 3rd quarter where Southport actually looked outclassed by the magpies slick ball movement and hard contested ball winning. It was a terrific result for our boys who well and truly out played there northern opponents.
The inside contested ball is what the sharks are very good at, there outside run is where all there injured blokes are..shreeve has been injured for close to 2 mths I reckon but they keep taping him together and too his credit he keeps fronting up..a fantastic effort by belconnen as I firmly believed the team the sharks took south was still good enough to get the chocolates..last week v the lions my have finished the sharks as the team the lions put out was one we r used to seeing in march more so than april..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back