New AFL fan from Canada

Remove this Banner Ad

Party at Ogopogo's!

Beer+attractive women+footy, sounds pretty good, I'll set up the facebook event page.

Some games clash so we'll need two televisions. Hopefully I can get some cheap flights.....

No Freo fans.

That just goes without saying doesn't it? Can't have them hanging around, bringing the property value of your house down!

Let me know what you think about this idea. Am I crazy?

My wife and kids are going to visit her parents in late July/early August for a few weeks. I will have the house to myself! With AFLTV, I can watch any AFL game I want at any time so.......I had this crazy idea to see if I could actually watch all 9 games in a single weekend - as they happen if at all possible.

Not sure if I am going to go ahead with it but, in theory, it sounds like fun. Am I crazy?

haha you wouldn't be able to watch them all live as some are on at the same time, unless you decide to continuously switch between games played at the same time, or just watch one and then the other one later on when there are no games on, but after the pies flog the suns you may not be in a mood to watch anything else ;) on another note I enjoy watching the NHL, I follow the flyers, hockey is like just continuously playing because there is no outs or anything much pretty good, i still find it confusing what the penalties are and stuff and the offside rule and everything. haha but it's good

haha you wouldn't be able to watch them all live as some are on at the same time, unless you decide to continuously switch between games played at the same time, or just watch one and then the other one later on when there are no games on, but after the pies flog the suns you may not be in a mood to watch anything else ;) on another note I enjoy watching the NHL, I follow the flyers, hockey is like just continuously playing because there is no outs or anything much pretty good, i still find it confusing what the penalties are and stuff and the offside rule and everything. haha but it's good

C'mon! Canadians can be a little strange but they still use correct sentence structure.

The 9 game weekend won't happen this week - the family is still here. They leave next Wednesday so it will either be the July 27th and 28th weekend or the August 3, 4, 5 long weekend.

August 3 is the Team Canada v Team USA Australian Football game in Edmonton so, if I combine my 9 AFL games with that, it will be a pretty phenomenal three days!

The 9 game weekend won't happen this week - the family is still here. They leave next Wednesday so it will either be the July 27th and 28th weekend or the August 3, 4, 5 long weekend.

August 3 is the Team Canada v Team USA Australian Football game in Edmonton so, if I combine my 9 AFL games with that, it will be a pretty phenomenal three days!

I've got got a Sherrin in my car and I'll be in Edmonton August 4-9 :D

Hopefully the standard is good enough that you will see watching a game of footy live, is so much better live than on TV, because unlike hockey or gridiron or rugby TV can't capture what is happening off the ball (puck) because so much lead up work and zoning happens that TV doesn't capture because of the size of a footy field.

TV lets you pick up what is happening in a pack, scrimmage, stoppage set up that you can't always see at the game, but it can't pick up all the positioning, moves that happen and set ups that you get at a game and especially sitting in a grandstand you get a true over view of the game.

Hopefully the standard is good enough that you will see watching a game of footy live, is so much better live than on TV, because unlike hockey or gridiron or rugby TV can't capture what is happening off the ball (puck) because so much lead up work and zoning happens that TV doesn't capture because of the size of a footy field.

TV lets you pick up what is happening in a pack, scrimmage, stoppage set up that you can't always see at the game, but it can't pick up all the positioning, moves that happen and set ups that you get at a game and especially sitting in a grandstand you get a true over view of the game.

I am very much looking forward to seeing a game in person for all the reasons you talk about plus more. I suspect the GWS Giants would beat Canada or the USA by 100 points but, it should still be quite entertaining.

I am very much looking forward to seeing a game in person for all the reasons you talk about plus more. I suspect the GWS Giants would beat Canada or the USA by 100 points but, it should still be quite entertaining.

GWS would beat Canada or the USA by about 500 points.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was the loudest ive ever heard Metricon, and probably one of the biggest crowds there too
What can be said about Ablett...

Ablett stood tall when the team needed him...great player. Nearly 20,000 at the game - hopefully they all keep coming back.

Half of them would be Collingwood supporters on their once a year interstate jollies.

Considering the Suns have over 12,000 members and more show up for a team like Collingwood, my guess would be about 3,000 are interstate visitors.

Considering the Suns have over 12,000 members and more show up for a team like Collingwood, my guess would be about 3,000 are interstate visitors.
Plus a lot of expat Victorians living/ retired on the Gold Coast that barrack for Collingwood.

Just on the standard of play Ogopogo, I remember a few years ago my then 14 y.o. son was a boundary umpire and got a gig in the international rules series and was appointed to games such as USA vs Sth Africa and Great Britain vs Papua New Guinea which was a final. Some of the PNG boys were pretty good but overall, I remember thinking at the next suburban " B Grade Seniors" game he was involved in (basically park football with players playing for next to nothing) that the standard was way higher than what I had seen from the international teams. This is because the guys have grown up with the game and have better honed skills and the experience to play good quality team football.

GWS players are incredibly talented, they they have had massive draft concessions and access to the best talent. They just need experience and size/ strength (like Gold Coast are developing as they are 1-2 years ahead in physical development) plus a couple more quality / experienced players, to flourish.

Just on the standard of play Ogopogo, I remember a few years ago my then 14 y.o. son was a boundary umpire and got a gig in the international rules series and was appointed to games such as USA vs Sth Africa and Great Britain vs Papua New Guinea which was a final. Some of the PNG boys were pretty good but overall, I remember thinking at the next suburban " B Grade Seniors" game he was involved in (basically park football with players playing for next to nothing) that the standard was way higher than what I had seen from the international teams. This is because the guys have grown up with the game and

Any AFL club would smash even NZ/PNG/Ireland, the three best International clubs - I've read before that some of these nations played practise matches between local B grade clubs and lost. That's also not including the large thrashings between teams in the 2011 International Cup, with all but one group having a 1st team >>>>> 2nd team >>>>> 3rd team (and remember these are half length games played the same way as the first round of the NAB Cup).

Any AFL club would smash even NZ/PNG/Ireland, the three best International clubs - I've read before that some of these nations played practise matches between local B grade clubs and lost. That's also not including the large thrashings between teams in the 2011 International Cup, with all but one group having a 1st team >>>>> 2nd team >>>>> 3rd team (and remember these are half length games played the same way as the first round of the NAB Cup).

I had no idea there was such a large international cup competition. Based on the results, I believe GWS would beat Canada or the US by 500 points. It's just not possible to field a world-class side in a country where the sport is not a passion. Australia will always develop the best players by a wide margin.

I had no idea there was such a large international cup competition. Based on the results, I believe GWS would beat Canada or the US by 500 points. It's just not possible to field a world-class side in a country where the sport is not a passion. Australia will always develop the best players by a wide margin.

500 points is actually generous.

Basically any AFL club would beat a top tier state club like Claremont by 150-200 points.

Claremont routinely beats up weak top tier state clubs like Peel.
Peel would beat up A Grade Perth ammo teams by 150 points.
A grade Perth ammo teams would probably beat an American team by 100 points.

BOvlYsZCcAAZ7wX.jpg:large

This is the weekend - I am going to watch all 9 games.

Friday morning at 3:40am it begins - Hawthorn v Essendon, should be a great match. After that I need to go to work.

Friday night at 9:45pm it is the Suns v Carlton followed by Collingwood v GWS. Go to sleep at about 3:30am.

Saturday, I will watch the recorded Melbourne v North Melbourne and Geelong v St. Kilda before I get back to live action with Port v Brisbane at 8:40pm. I will also watch the Bulldogs v Eagles at 12:20am Saturday night/Sunday morning.

Sunday, I watch the recorded Fremantle v Adelaide and Sydney v Richmond to complete the weekend's games.

I will be able to see 5 of the games live, as they happen, and the rest will be recorded - I will try to avoid seeing the scores before I watch the recorded games. When you actually plan it out, it doesn't seem so daunting of a project.

Should be a great weekend!

We had a thread on AFL books 5 years ago in the Fourth Estate board. There are a few discussed in that thread.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/afl-books.498651/#post-12569098

As I wrote in that thread and other places, the best footy book in my collected is Garry Linnell's Football Ltd, written in 1995 which explains how the game went from a suburban competition to a national one. It's time for a second updated edition. It was published in 1995 but its regularly on sale on e-bay and second hand book shops eg
http://www.blaqbooks.com.au/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=222

linnell-500x500.jpg

I recently finished this book and it was excellent. I am amazed at how detailed Linnell is on his accounts of the business of the AFL, he must have spent a significant amount of time researching and interviewing people.

For new AFL fans like myself, I think this is a must-read. Some may not like business books and find it a bit dry but, I found it fascinating. It has really helped me to understand the politics of AFL football and why many things are the way they are with the league. I am sure that many new AFL fans often wonder "Why are there so many teams in Melbourne/Victoria?" This book answers that question very clearly.

Thanks for the suggestion REH, it was a great read. I have some work-related books I am reading currently but, I am looking forward to getting back to my AFL reading soon.

I recently finished this book and it was excellent. I am amazed at how detailed Linnell is on his accounts of the business of the AFL, he must have spent a significant amount of time researching and interviewing people.

For new AFL fans like myself, I think this is a must-read. Some may not like business books and find it a bit dry but, I found it fascinating. It has really helped me to understand the politics of AFL football and why many things are the way they are with the league. I am sure that many new AFL fans often wonder "Why are there so many teams in Melbourne/Victoria?" This book answers that question very clearly.

Thanks for the suggestion REH, it was a great read. I have some work-related books I am reading currently but, I am looking forward to getting back to my AFL reading soon.

No worries Ogo. Good to hear you enjoyed it so much. You will now have a better understanding of the game off field, than many Australians. When I recommended it to you I did wonder if you would understand the names and quirks of the key players being interviewed. It sounds like you either remembered who was who as you read, or that it was well written that you could follow most of those people thru the book.

"It has really helped me to understand the politics of AFL football and why many things are the way they are with the league."

This is why I recommended it and like most things, the history of 20-30-50 years ago always helps explain why things are the way they are today. The past maybe gone but it lives on in shaping why things are done in certain ways today.

Re the interviews, he lists the people he interviewed by chapter between pages 380-383. I did note in chapter 20 re SA finally joining, when I read it many years ago, he didn't interview any South Aussie football officials.

As I said in my original post, I would like Linnell to do an updated version and add to what he wrote by covering the 1995 to 2013 period as the game has had many big changes has become the number 1 sport in Australia, overtaking cricket as the most powerful sport in Australia and challenging the Australian Olympic Committee as most powerful sports organisation in Australia and rivals it for political influence. But the book lays out the foundations of why during the last 18 years the game has become so big and powerful in the sports market in Australia.

As I have written before the influx of big TV $$$ has professionalised the game since 2000. Having those backroom deals and machinations, as well as what those extra $$$ allowed administrators to do, documented say in edition 2, would be a great reference source.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back