New co-captains announced for 2024: Allen & Duggan

Remove this Banner Ad

We should probably work it out now I guess - who’s gonna hold the cup up with Simmo this year?

Patrick Dangerfield.

We beat everyone to the punch and trade Harley to Geelong mid-season - take on a combined total of 180 years worth of their players to replace all our injuries and they carry us to the most shocking flag of all time.

Dual captains is an interesting dynamic. Don't mind it. Good choice without anyone really standing out. Having the best of both worlds with Duggan linking the past to the future and Oscar being the new generation.

Patrick Dangerfield.

We beat everyone to the punch and trade Harley to Geelong mid-season - take on a combined total of 180 years worth of their players to replace all our injuries and they carry us to the most shocking flag of all time.
2 players isn't going to cut it.

Duggan’s just tge training wheels for Oscar. Oscar just entered that level of experience and stage of his career where he is also living up to the hype. Give it a year or two and Allen will have it

Career wise Duggo is around the mark at what Bunga was when he was handed captaincy in 2014. Similar amount of games and age and dare I say their out put probably is quite similar (tho I’d say Bunga was fractionally better). What Bunga the player we now know is, is what he did after he got the captaincy in 2015. While what Bunga did is quite extraordinary I still think Duggo could probably go up in few levels as player with this added responsibility.

At the end of the press conference someone asked what goals they had for next year

Simpson shut it down very quickly saying they hadn’t spoken about next year at all

Not sure what, if anything, to read into it but it was very curt to a not unreasonable question

At the end of the press conference someone asked what goals they had for next year

Simpson shut it down very quickly saying they hadn’t spoken about next year at all

Not sure what, if anything, to read into it but it was very curt to a not unreasonable question
Press kept taking the conversation away from the new captains. I thought it was a polite way of saying thanks for being here.

Not a huge fan of co-captains but it's probably a good compromise while Allen is still establishing himself.

Agree not a huge fan.

However it makes sense. One down back one up forward.

Duggan bit older and has the respect of the older players, and our defense is more mature age wise.

Allen looks like the next stand alone captain but is a bit young. However he can relate to the younger playing group better.

Both are oozing leadership and are quality characters.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree that Duggan often lets himself down with skill execution. But you generally can't question his effort and team-first attitude. The captain needs to lead, not necessarily be the best player on the team.

Great. So we have gone back 20 odd years and appointed Shaun McManus captain.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Last edited:

Question probably came from splinters…

I don't mind it.

Duggan ran through a couple of blokes when he was stand in captain this year. He stands taller as an onfield leader with it I reckon. Obvs popular with the playing group.

Allen is already an onfield leader in directing players. This is the authority for him to speak up over Darling and Crippa, who are more senior players.

We lacked on field leadership last year and it showed in the floggings. Having more, including Barrass as vc, probably a good thing.

West Coast great Glen Jakovich has endorsed the appointment of co-captains Oscar Allen and Liam Duggan but stressed the shared leadership should be reviewed “year on year”.

“I am not really a fan of co-captains, but given the situation they are in they need as much leadership as possible to lead them out of the bottom part of the ladder,” Jakovich said.

“It needs to be a captain who is out there week in week out. You can’t have your captain breaking down, that’s the first thing.

Oscar Allen, I really like him as a player and leader, but a deep full-forward as a captain on his own? I am not sure about that.

“If the ball isn’t down there, how is Oscar going to fix any problems? Take the pressure off him.

“But review that on a year to year basis. It is a balancing act they have to get right.”

Jakovich, who won four club championships and played in two premierships across 14 seasons and 276 games, played under the Eagles only other co-captains, when Dean Kemp and Ben Cousins shared the role in 2001.

However, that was a short-lived union as Kemp was forced out of the game prematurely due to ongoing concussion issues.

Allen, 24, and Duggan, 26, become the 13th and 14th West Coast captains following the retirement of Luke Shuey at the end of the season.

Kind of a nothing article, but this last part really caught my eye.

The appointments follow revelations in The West Australian in August Allen had been offered long-term, multi-million dollar deals by at least three AFL clubs in the eastern States.

It is believed the offers were in excess of $1 million per season over seven to 10 years with one of the clubs offering the captaincy.

Allen is at the end of the first year of a three-year deal that takes him through to the end of 2025.

Who do we think were the 3 clubs?
Essendon, Norf & Saints come to mind as clubs desperate enough to offer captaincy straight up.

Kind of a nothing article, but this last part really caught my eye.

Who do we think were the 3 clubs?
Essendon, Norf & Saints come to mind as clubs desperate enough to offer captaincy straight up.
Essendon, Melbourne and Sydney would be my picks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back