Other New Patriots Scandal - DeflateGate

Remove this Banner Ad

They produced one, then removed it from their website.

So if that video is to be believed and the patriots did deflate the balls on purpose, then they've basically gained 0 competetive advantage over a team they beat by 6 TDs?

The way the NFL go about certain things is COMPLETELY AMATEUR HOUR.. :oops::confused: no rhyme, no reason..

I walked away from the AFL for a few years for the same reason with such inept policies that lead to inconsistencies and confusion

Back in day (80's- VFL), the communication lines were open. Media could ask questions that were 'worthy of asking' and we got the confessions straight up.

The NFL is heading in the same direction that AFL did a few years ago… the debacle of the debatable Calvin Johnson rule was always going smack the NFL in the face and that's just one small fracture of many of where the NFL is heading.. the DPI rules never needed to be complicated… the NFL should know that not every game isn't going to be high scoring. It's embarrassing how conflicting '50/50 decisions' have totally made the officials job harder when it doesn't need to be.

This latest deflate-gate saga is another sloppy example of where the NFL is heading.

We all know the FACT: The measurement of ball deflation was detected at HALF TIME.. so why are the officials not notified?

Not a biggee?? ok… so why has this escalated to the mountain of scandal that it's become?? It's F***** embarrassing for all true NFL FANS. I can understand why I'm seeing more meme's about the NFL than ever before. The game is becoming a joke. The management of the game is losing the plot.

Botton Line: HEADS MUST ROLL… start with Goodell.. but before then.. the OWNERS have themselves to blame with 'compromising the game' to making more unwatchable… as it's become in recent seasons. A bad decision RUINS any game, regardless what sport. But the way the NFL explain controversial decisions based on their flawed complicated rules is why it's becoming hard to return as a enthusiastic fan, proud of the product.

As for the Pats.. they're pushing their luck with gaining any respectability (as opposed to credibility) …no wonder the media is pouring the acid thick n' fast. The NFL have got themselves to blame for allowing such things to escalate out of control: (all the talk of Goodell warning the Saints before Bountygate proves this idiot of a commish is a complete numbskull). It's a violent game as it is, what's there to warn when the rules of roughing the passer and block below the knees are already in place??

We're (as fans) SO LUCKY Tom Brady did his knee (of all QB's) otherwise the rule of below the knees hits wouldn't have been looked at..

Poor Carson Palmer.. **2005 Wildcard** DUDDED!! Well done Goodell you blind moron!!

Rant over

The problem is that in the world of sports entrainment, these dipshits are rewarded for controversy.

Provided the yearly uptake of blow-ins exceeds the loss of true fans - the bean counters are happy and these dipshits get more control.

I know this ironic on a sports internet forum, but the internet & it's effects on media are f***ing all professional sports.

Katy Perry >>>>> Taylor Swift
Not really my area of expertise, however I know Swift (New England) wins comfortably over Paulini (Jacksonville). I'll be using half time to go to the bathroom.

As I said early in this thread, when all the info comes out, THEN one can objectively critique, analyze, etc, and start making bold statements one way or the other.

But....if I notice BS I'll say so....like I did a few posts back....laughable that Belichick two days ago in PC says he knows nothing about footballs, and makes a mockery of the gravity of the situation...and then two days later comes out and says in two days he's studied everything he could about footballs and is now an expert at it. With a Super Bowl to prepare for no less. One would have to be really naive and blindly a fanboy to believe that nonsense. Belichick knows everything about everything about the game of football (including the football itself being the centerpiece of the game), over 40 years of experience, and is renowned for that, so as to find ways to game the game, push envelopes, even to just celebrate history, or just out of a ferocious hunger for knowledge.

So basically, without giving this too much thought, your post is entirely hypocritical....

It's BS because you feel it's BS without any evidence at all. Based on your feelings. And based on your feelings you rush to judgement bolstered by a grab bag of "facts".

My day job is as an international tax advisor. A few weeks ago I was asked to advise on some finer tax points of a transaction involving a country that I've never done business in before. I know heaps about international tax. 30 years of expertise. But I'd never had cause to need to know about country X before. I told my client this. He wanted my advice anyway.

Because I now needed to know, I mobilised some researchers to get me critical information. I spoke to people who had some expertise in country X tax issues.

2 days later I was sufficiently knowledgeable to provide useful information to my client. On a tax system that's quite complex and had developed over more than half a century....

I guess I was lying 2 days earlier ....

A critical thinker can fully grasp the possibility that beyond have a broad understanding of the rules, Belichick had little grasp of the finer points of the physics behind ball pressure... or they could bring their prejudices to the table, try and appear they are "better" than that by grandstanding about their objectivity, but ultimately betray their true selves by rushing to judgement based on their feelings ....

The problem is that in the world of sports entrainment, these dipshits are rewarded for controversy.

Provided the yearly uptake of blow-ins exceeds the loss of true fans - the bean counters are happy and these dipshits get more control.

I know this ironic on a sports internet forum, but the internet & it's effects on media are f***ing all professional sports.

Not just sports... :)

So basically, without giving this too much thought, your post is entirely hypocritical....

It's BS because you feel it's BS without any evidence at all. Based on your feelings. And based on your feelings you rush to judgement bolstered by a grab bag of "facts".

My day job is as an international tax advisor. A few weeks ago I was asked to advise on some finer tax points of a transaction involving a country that I've never done business in before. I know heaps about international tax. 30 years of expertise. But I'd never had cause to need to know about country X before. I told my client this. He wanted my advice anyway.

Because I now needed to know, I mobilised some researchers to get me critical information. I spoke to people who had some expertise in country X tax issues.

2 days later I was sufficiently knowledgeable to provide useful information to my client. On a tax system that's quite complex and had developed over more than half a century....

I guess I was lying 2 days earlier ....

A critical thinker can fully grasp the possibility that beyond have a broad understanding of the rules, Belichick had little grasp of the finer points of the physics behind ball pressure... or they could bring their prejudices to the table, try and appear they are "better" than that by grandstanding about their objectivity, but ultimately betray their true selves by rushing to judgement based on their feelings ....

You obviously don't even know your own HC Belichick as well as I know him ;)

The social media aspect is always for the fans for banter/ shits n' giggles… nothing wrong with that JD. It's all what you said that ******* management is killing the integrity this sport had… is losing rapidly. Loving how Marshawn Lynch is holding the NFL in contempt!! The NFL/ Goodell has warned Lynch of grabbing his crotch as he celebrates a TD.. just underlines what it all comes down too!! :p:D dumb arse media (not all) + goodell = given NO respect. I'm all for what BEAST MODE is doing!! :thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

After the dumb senseless fines dished out… who can blame him?

There have been 500 plus posts on this s**t and less than 200 on the sb.
to be fair....the whole playoffs this year has been marred by controversial incidents, and then in the off-week of the super bowl, a new 'gate' opened, so obviously it would dominate attention. super bowl week itself only starts now, and the game a week away. so give it time, the game thread will explode with a billion posts and a billion new pats/seahawks fans, and the 'gate' thread will vaporize into thin air -- especially after goodell's hand-picked 'investigators' find no wrong-doing by the beloved pats and defense of his shower-buddy kraft ensues.

to be fair....the whole playoffs this year has been marred by controversial incidents, and then in the off-week of the super bowl, a new 'gate' opened, so obviously it would dominate attention. super bowl week itself only starts now, and the game a week away. so give it time, the game thread will explode with a billion posts and a billion new pats/seahawks fans, and the 'gate' thread will vaporize into thin air -- especially after goodell's hand-picked 'investigators' find no wrong-doing by the beloved pats and defense of his shower-buddy kraft ensues.
I hope so. The SB is about the athletes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Belichick’s explanation on inflation raises new questions
Posted by Mike Florio on January 25, 2015, 12:24 AM EST
belichick5.jpg
AP
Saturday’s unexpected press conference from Patriots coach Bill Belchick seemed like an effort to put the issue behind the team as the trip to Phoenix and Super Bowl XLIX awaits. But Belichick’s words, which deftly loaded up the media with information on the subject at a time when the NFL is providing little, raise several key questions.

Most significantly, Belichick’s Thursday and Saturday press conferences starkly differ on one key question: Who inflates the footballs?

“Obviously with our footballs being inflated to the 12.5-pound range, any deflation would then take us under that specification limit,” Belichick said Thursday. “Knowing that now, in the future we will certainly inflate the footballs above that low level to account for any possible change during the game.” (Emphasis added.)

On Saturday, Belichick said that the Patriots have no control over the actual inflation, indicating that the officials — not the team — inflate the footballs.

“When the footballs are delivered to the officials locker room, the officials were asked to inflate them to 12.5 PSI,” Belichick said. “What exactly they did, I don’t know. But for the purposes of our study, that’s what we did. We set them at 12.5. That’s at the discretion of the official, though. Regardless of what we ask for, it’s the official’s discretion to put them where he wants.” (Emphasis added.)

So who inflates the footballs? Thursday’s “I have no explanation” Bill Belichick made clear it’s the team that was putting the minimum required amount of 12.5 PSI into the balls before the game, and that any naturally-occurring deflation was necessarily taking the footballs under the low end of the one-pound acceptable range from 12.5 to 13.5 PSI. Saturday’s “I have an extensive explanation” Bill Belichick said the Patriots simply ask the officials to inflate the footballs to 12.5 PSI, but that it’s ultimately the “official’s discretion” as to how much air will be put in the footballs. (And, in turn, the official’s fault if the balls weren’t properly inflated.)

It’s a stunning contrast, one that calls for further explanation from Belichick. This should be the first question he’s asked at his first press conference in Arizona, and the assembled media should decline to accept a response along the lines of, “I’ve said all I’m going to say about that.”

Another topic on which Belichick may need to say more than he has said is the interaction between inflation of the balls to 12.5 PSI and any “rubbing” that results in the balls reaching an “equilibrium state” of 11.5 PSI. The key question is whether anyone in the organization — specifically mysterious football savant Ernie Adams — knew that any type of rubbing would result in the ball reaching an “equilibrium state” that brought it one full PSI below the minimum. Beyond that, atmospheric conditions would drop the ball even farther below the minimum.

Other curious statements were made by Belichick on Saturday. For example: “We can’t speak specifically to what happened because we have no way of touching the footballs other than once the officials have them we don’t touch them except for when we play with them in the game.” That’s just not accurate; ball attendants employed by the Patriots have possession of the 12 game balls and the 12 backup balls until they’re used during the game.

“I believe now 100 percent that I have personally, and we as an organization, have absolutely followed every rule to the letter,” Belichick said early in the Saturday press conference. But there’s a potential different between following rules to the letter and respecting their spirit. As Ravens defensive lineman Chris Canty said earlier in the week on NBCSN’s Pro Football Talk, the Patriots are “habitual line-steppers.” In an effort to gave every possible advantage, they look for ways to push the envelope, retreating to plausible deniability whenever complaints are made or investigations are launched.

It would be naive to assume that the procedures used by the Patriots when it comes to inflating and handling footballs was accidental or coincidental, even if Belichick truly had no knowledge or involvement in that aspect of game preparations. The ultra-competitive nature of the sport coupled with the uncanny ability of Belichick and those he employs to seize upon every opportunity to gain an edge suggests that they discovered a way to produce footballs that passed the pregame inspection at the low end of the permitted PSI and that then dropped well below the minimum, furthering the stated preferences of the guy charged with the task of throwing the footballs.

Bill Belichick on sideline videotaping: “We never did it again”
Posted by Mike Wilkening on January 25, 2015, 12:29 AM EST
cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznpwewmdyxzwm5yja1mdyxyznjmjyyn2vmm2mzmjflztiw-e1422163617349.jpeg
AP
After a more than 2,000-word opening statement in his Saturday press conference detailing how the club’s footballs might have become under-inflated in the AFC title game vs. Indianapolis, Patriots coach Bill Belichick opened the floor for a question-and-answer session.

Seven questions in, a sore subject for the Patriots was broached: the 2007 videotaping scandal that cost the club a first-round pick and $250,000 in fines, plus another $500,000 docked from Belichick.

According to the press conference transcript from the Patriots, here’s what Belichick was asked:

“You said you always try to err on the side of caution and stay on the right side of the rules, but with the videotaping it was clear that you were pushing the envelope on that. Is that something that changed that?”

Here was Belichick’s response, per the Patriots:

“I mean, look, that’s a whole other discussion,” Belichick said of the Patriots’ taping of the Jets’ signals from the sidelines. “The guy’s giving signals out in front of 80,000 people, OK?

“So we filmed him taking signals out in front of 80,000 people, like there were a lot of other teams doing at that time, too. Forget about that. If we were wrong then we’ve been disciplined for that.”

Before a follow-up question could be completed, Belichick continued:

“The guy’s in front of 80,000 people. 80,000 people saw it. Everybody [on the] sideline saw it. Everybody sees our guy in front of the 80,000 people. I mean, there he is.

“So, it was wrong, we were disciplined for it. That’s it. We never did it again. We’re never going to do it again and anything else that’s close, we’re not going to do either.”

It’s possible Belichick could again be asked about “Spygate” at the Super Bowl, especially after indicating Saturday that “there were a lot of other teams” filming signals around 2007, too. However, it doesn’t seem likely Belichick would be very expansive about this topic next week. To borrow a phrase from Jerry Reinsdorf, this might be our only bite of the apple on “Spygate.”

Then again, who saw Saturday’s press conference coming?

That was perfectly legal so how is that even considered a 'spotfire'?

Clutching at straws.

Ummm, read my post man. You're blinded by trying to be the knight in shining armour for the Patriot cause. I did indeed say the substitutions were legal. But it pushes the boundaries of sportsmanship. It's technically ok.

ausbacker said:
Yes, facts are facts. Unfortunately for you, you're dribbling s**t with little to no factual basis outside of 1 controversy and an incredibly smart, perhaps devious move in 1982. That is such a strong case I couldn't possibly imagine a counter to it over the next 33 years.

Dude, the more times you go for the man, and not the ball, the more you look like a typical fn homer w***er.

I'm pretty sure the Colts balls did not deflate. That is a FACT.

You asked what I meant by spotfires, I gave you two examples, apart from the one you provided yourself.

100% precious. Akin to Collingwood fans. Lemmings.

Ahhh homoerotic play on words, so now the homophobic angle... classy.

You know what, I'm going to defend my team, especially when dullards bring legal formations and the right of a person to quit his job and take employment up with another franchise as some kind of underhanded dealings of cheating just because.

Homo-eroticism is nothing like homophobia. If you choose to interpret homo-eroticism as a negative, that's everything to do with you, and nothing to do with me. I interpret it as a colloquial term for someone who loves their team.

Ummm, read my post man. You're blinded by trying to be the knight in shining armour for the Patriot cause. I did indeed say the substitutions were legal. But it pushes the boundaries of sportsmanship. It's technically ok.

Homo-eroticism is nothing like homophobia. If you choose to interpret homo-eroticism as a negative, that's everything to do with you, and nothing to do with me. I interpret it as a colloquial term for someone who loves their team.

lol so now it's about sportsmanship, it's not 'technically ok. Its a legal play and doesn't even warrant discussion in relation to any of this. Next you'll be citing the Doug Flutie drop kick to support your argument.

Colloquial term, okkkkkkk I'm not even going to bother with that one....

Not really my area of expertise, however I know Swift (New England) wins comfortably over Paulini (Jacksonville). I'll be using half time to go to the bathroom.
You go to the Super Bowl and go to the toilet for the most popular part? (According to tv ratings) ;)

ESPN are worst in my opinion.

They have only shown one side of the story, when they do show the other side they quickly delete it (SportsScience).
Now they have been blocking people and deleting comments from all of their social media that try to post any facts that have been proven about the tragedy.

ESPN are worst in my opinion.

They have only shown one side of the story, when they do show the other side they quickly delete it (SportsScience).
Now they have been blocking people and deleting comments from all of their social media that try to post any facts that have been proven about the tragedy.
The problem with ESPN is they don't present anything without bias and all their stories are slanted to the sensational. Also, they largely populate their panels with idiots.

I'm always surprised when I listen to their Football Today podcast and it's nearly the opposite. The hosts barely get sensationalist at all and generally try to avoid topics that are talked about ad nauseam.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back