State New South Wales Blues

Remove this Banner Ad

Watched Nic Maddinson for Easts against Sutherland a few weeks ago whilst I was in Sydney. Wow that was an impressive innings, against a pretty decent bowling attack. Nathan Fitzgerald would have well over 200 first grade wickets and Ben (?) Dharwuis went through all the u/17 and u/19's and has played some big bash.

Can't remember if NM tonned up or not, but he went close. Only chasing 160-170 so it wasn't exactly a high pressure chase, but his footwork and timing is straight from the top shelf. In terms of pure talent he is as good as it gets in this country. Just gotta start stringing some shield scores together. The Australian selectors will (and should) give him every opportunity to excel as long as he doesn't keep giving them reasons not to pick him, which is what he is doing by throwing away his wicket so often.

Unfortunately the young spinner Devlin Malone was out injured so didn't get a chance to check him out.

I have a feeling that he calms down when he comes in lower in the order. Like he realises the team situation and decides to play to it rather than having permission to go all out to early.

Tassie side

Alex Doolan (c)
Jordan Silk (vc)
Jackson Bird
Luke Butterworth
Ed Cowan
Ben Dunk
Andrew Fekete
Ben Hilfenhaus
Dominic Michael
Sam Rainbird
Clive Rose
Jon Wells

In: Butterworth, Michael, Rainbird, Rose
Out: George BAILEY (ODI), Xavier DOHERTY (ODI), James FAULKNER (ODI)

WA get the win so we are back to third.

Big game v Victoria next, with WA coming up against SA and would be confident of taking points there.

We are 1.28 points behind Vic, so if we drop the game there we will most likely be a win and bonus points behind second with just 3 games to play and that will be difficult to make up.

Victoria vs NSW will decide who plays WA in the final. WA will probably beat NSW.

Definitely wouldn't rule out any of the other sides (apart from SA). Queensland all of a sudden look stronger with Lynn back and Tasmania's bowling attack is normally pretty good with this week being an exception, also with WA's injury's they are no sure thing of making it but I think they will.

I don't think it's a fait accompli that the winner of Vic/NSW will be in the final, but it will definitely go a long way to securing a spot.

Whoever wins, the loser will still be lurking about a game back, whilst the winner of Qld and Tassie will draw up alongside the loser of Vic and NSW. So 3rd and 4th won't be completely out of it, but with 3 games left they won't have much room for any further dropped points.

Of Course let's not forget WA are far from home to the final. They should beat SA, but they still gotta do the business.

It's slightly more of a set back for NSW losing this next game because Vic have some additional BP's on top of us.

A guy to keep an eye out for is Mickey Edwards. The old man was over at Manly Oval today and was very impressed. Reckons he's got a real good action and is as quick as anyone in the current Australian set up. Just turned 20, 6'3-6'4, skinny and extremely raw. Apparently is a real keen surfer and required a bit of talking to play this season but has had a big one with 30 first grade wickets at 15, and got to earn a spot in the Sixers BBL Academy and a spot in NSW 2nd XI last month.

Last time I heard him rave about someone like this was five years ago when he sent me an e-mail about a then 16 year old Pat Cummins when he was playing second grade for Penrith. Unfortunately the last line he has sent in that e-mail has so far proved to be very prophetic - PS : The kids name is Pat Cummins and barring injury he has a great future.

2 weeks ago, Sandhu had 182 runs at 11.38

Today he has 337 runs at 21.00. Only 7.34 behind Scott Henry!

Also, Patterson lost a fingernail in the match and won't be playing in the crucial WA match. Suspect he might have been dropped for Moises anyway.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

shame we probably wont get a NSW-WA final @ perth. given the recent history, i think that would have been the best final
I would have thought the best final would have been the top 2 teams, whomever they be.

and given the dominance of WA and NSW in recent times, their recent battles and the fact that NSW had the home final last season, I would have enjoyed NSW-WA with WA having the home advantage the most, and I think neutrals would probably go that way too. After all, you've spent most of the past 2 seasons moaning about Victoria. But don't get me wrong, I'll enjoy watching Cameron White run the drinks as much as the next person will.

Ed Cowan has announced he is coming back to NSW. Thoughts?
Great news for NSW as the top four is still fairly inconsistent and he should provide some good leadership and experience. Lets just hope he can translate his Tasmanian form to NSW. It will almost certainly put one of Nick Larkin or Scott Henry's first class career on the back burner for a season or two, although they may move interstate. Ryan Carters falls into the same category but the fact he has had at least one good FC season and started this one pretty well before a dramatic drop in output may save him for a few games into next season.

Pretty clearly going to come in as opener. No idea why anyone would write about there being doubts over his first class future.
Yeah I find that line of writing quite strange. He is third leading run scorer in shield cricket this season, and would be close to the leading run scorer of the past 5 seasons. No chance he won't be getting a run for NSW first game next season.

Stole this off another forum

Points Breakdown

Clearly our batting has been subpar this year, and many times our bacon has been saved by our wagging tails and then some great bowling performances.

I also find it pretty funny that SA has the 2nd highest number of batting points, I guess their 2nd innings capitulations are no captured in this table.

Team - Points (Results, Batting, Bowling)

VIC 48.54 (31.0, 8.04, 9.50)
WA 48.48 (33.0, 6.48, 9.00)
NSW 44.82 (31.0, 5.32, 8.50)
QLD 31.40 (19.0, 7.40, 5.00)
TAS 27.11 (14.0, 4.11, 9.00)
SA 24.61 (14.0, 7.61, 3.00)

Stole this off another forum

Points Breakdown

Clearly our batting has been subpar this year, and many times our bacon has been saved by our wagging tails and then some great bowling performances.

I also find it pretty funny that SA has the 2nd highest number of batting points, I guess their 2nd innings capitulations are no captured in this table.

Team - Points (Results, Batting, Bowling)

VIC 48.54 (31.0, 8.04, 9.50)
WA 48.48 (33.0, 6.48, 9.00)
NSW 44.82 (31.0, 5.32, 8.50)
QLD 31.40 (19.0, 7.40, 5.00)
TAS 27.11 (14.0, 4.11, 9.00)
SA 24.61 (14.0, 7.61, 3.00)

Keep in mind we do play on Adelaide Oval + the extra game at Glenelg given by the Vics

Remove this Banner Ad

Back