News New sponsorship deal

Remove this Banner Ad

Jan 4, 2010
South-West Victoria
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Port Melb, Eintracht Frankfurt.
It's a fantastic day for the long-term strength of your Swans as we announce a four-year major partnership with Volkswagen. The players were like kids in a lolly shop yesterday when a small fleet of red and white Volkswagens turned up at training. They all love the cars. Volkswagen is excited by the partnership and the chance to be involved with an iconic Australian sport, and the Swans of course!

Swans Facebook.

Link to article on Swans website.

Sydney Swans have the richest uniform in Australian sport.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...-wagen-to-a-star/story-e6frexwr-1226000443582

THE Sydney Swans now have the richest uniform in Australian sport.
Their Bloods colours are valued in the millions after landing a new third major partner catapulting the sponsorship value of the club's branded uniforms beyond any other sporting team.

The Daily Telegraph can exclusively reveal the Swans have secured a four-year deal with Volkswagen Group of Australia valued in excess of $1 million per season.

Sydney's uniform is now valued higher than reigning AFL premiers and sporting giants Collingwood, while it dwarfs the commercial success of NRL clubs with few rugby league sides capable of attracting one sponsor worth seven figures whereas the Swans can now boast three.

Volkswagen will be branded on the players' shorts and coach John Longmire's shirt, while principal partner QBE and major partner Citi retain their long-held positions as sponsors on the front and back of the jumpers.

"It's fantastic news for us," Swans CEO Andrew Ireland said. "Our brand is a strong brand. Obviously we play in a national competition but being based in Sydney I think gives us a real opportunity.

"It's a credit to the club over a period of time to be seen as a good brand to be associated with.

"It's significant for us to have three international, big companies associated in those areas. QBE is now in its 25th year and Citi has been with us since 2005.

"[Corporate support] can't guarantee a result but it certainly underpins a real opportunity to go forward for us."

The branding of Longmire is a significant show of faith in the rookie coach who is burdened with the task of continuing predecessor Paul Roos's strong corporate and competitive success.

Longmire welcomed the support and was pleased the major partners were also committed to the club's other projects including the Swans Academy plus community and environment programs.

"They're involved from the top in regards to the senior team right through to our community programs and environmental program," he said. "They have significant involvement right across the whole breadth of the football club."

This is the European company's first foray into Australian sport.
They're heavily involved in European soccer, notably German giants Werder Bremen and Indian cricket, while Volkswagen's subsidiary company Skoda recently agreed to be naming rights sponsor of AFL newcomers Greater Western Sydney Giants.

Managing director Anke Koeckler said the company looked at all sports, but chose AFL due to the sport's "dynamic" appeal and parochial national support.

But it was witnessing Sydney's defeat of Essendon on a sloppy SCG last year that clinched the decision to support the red and whites, not because lightning quick forward Lewis Jetta carries a surname of one of their popular motor vehicles.

"I think the criteria and the values of the Sydney Swans fit pretty well to our values at Volkswagen," Koeckler said.

"The AFL provides us with a great opportunity to share in Australian sporting passion because so far we didn't have an opportunity to be in a major sport. We were looking at some [NRL] teams but for the time being they were taken.

"To be honest I thought with AFL and especially with Sydney Swans this is so good that we haven't been looking at other alternatives any more."

Edit: It's already up

It's like the swans knew how to sway my allegiance from BMW to Volkswagens!!!
<3

Große Nachrichten und das, zusammen mit QBE und Citibank, sichern unsere Zukunft seit langem. Schrecklich!

If you were a woman, I'd probably ask you for your hand in marriage.

Please don't speak in German again. I love that langauge and it makes me jealous of people, because I can't speak it fluently. :(

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is great news, spose now Jetta will be bragging they named a car after him.

VW Group trying for a stranglehold on the Sydney AFL market, they also own Skoda (GWS major sponsor).

Hopefully without offending our new sponsor, am very happy to be wearing the VW logo than the Skoda one on our team colours.

I can see this being another mutually beneficial long term sponsorship for VW and the Swans. :heart:

We will do you proud. :thumbsu:

Anyone here ever play punch buggy.... :p:thumbsu:

yeah, used to be way more popular not as many around, my niece and nephew still do but they include VW vans etc any excuse to punch each other

Ive owned 2 VWs, In my early twenty's I used to drive a split screen Kombi with the barn side doors and I had a canary yellow VW bug convertible that would lift the front wheels, it was a hottie...

If you were a woman, I'd probably ask you for your hand in marriage.

Please don't speak in German again. I love that langauge and it makes me jealous of people, because I can't speak it fluently. :(

lol. I'm afraid it would be a marriage built on lies. I used a translator. I'm flattered none the less...:heart:

I was suspicious when I pasted it into Google Translator and it came up in perfect grammatical English. That never happens...

Four and twenty have become the third new sponsor of the Sydney Swans this year.

Are we loosing any old sponsors from last year? If not we are off to one of the best possible off field starts to the year.

Four and twenty have become the third new sponsor of the Sydney Swans this year.

Are we loosing any old sponsors from last year? If not we are off to one of the best possible off field starts to the year.

Lets hope we continue the off-field success with some on-field success. :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back