New Tasmania games deal almost done

Remove this Banner Ad

Have no idea why Melb have never played down here. Im waiting for the AFL and AFL Tas to trot out the crowds in Hobart were better this year than Launceston. North have played Eagles, Tigers and Saints this year, plus all local footy have a bye in Hobart when North play there, also all of their games are 1:10 or 2:10 games

Not to mention that the game against West Coast was fixtured over the Queen's Birthday long weekend. Makes it much more attractive for Victorians to schedule a weekend away. As opposed to Hawks v Freo which was a twilight game on the last Sunday of the Victorian school holidays - making it quite unattractive for families to travel down. Thanks AFL.

We travel down once a year for a game and always spend a 4-5 days travelling around....The local wineries etc always ask if you are down for the game and really appreciate the visitor $$. We consonantly come across other supporters and last week it felt as though there were millions of Freo supporters in Lonny. I though the figure was $3 mill to the Hawks per year, I so it is well worth it !!

If they had their own team they'd have more games in the state and more sets of supporters making the trip. Rather than 1 clubs supporters having to stump up the cash 4 times a year (potentially), they'd have access to 11 (half the comp for the sake of the argument as they will have 11 home games) teams supporters stumping up the cash once a year.

Nope. I've boycotted Tasmania as much as possible regarding this deal. I don't have any club merchandise with Tasmania on it either. It's a shame because neither of my kids have a guernsey
Get over yourself. You are attached to the old suburban footy club mentality. Hawthorn is a big AFL Club with supporters everywhere. Try and understand the karma....the more you support somebody else's success the more successful you become. The Hawthorn administration has been incredibly pro-active in running with the Tassie move since 2001....they have promoted the whole thing beyond expectation and have basically changed the way an AFL Club can be perceived........All Clubs play everywhere....there is no "real" home ground.....the idea is to support as many people and organizations as possible and the club grows....You have to take the hand you are dealt and make the most of it.....in life and footy!!

There are also more than a few people who are non Hawks supporters that attend games in Launceston just because they like AFL.
Tasmanians love their footy.....make no mistake about that.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

My Mum and Dad signed up as members when the 4 game a year deal first got signed, Mum goes for Melbourne and Dad is North, Hawks are now both their second team, and there is plenty around like them.

My Mum and Dad signed up as members when the 4 game a year deal first got signed, Mum goes for Melbourne and Dad is North, Hawks are now both their second team, and there is plenty around like them.
Not sure if this is for or against the Tassie deal. I would say this is an example of the 'false economy' of Tassie.
Members who follow other clubs offer very little value to HFC. Sure, we might make a $20 profit on their $83 membership, but over time, a Melbourne based members that is also a supporter, will be 10 times more profitable due to higher cost of Vic membership, merchandising, and the likelyhood that their kids will follow the Hawks.

Don't disagree with anything you say here only to say that if you look at our membership over the 1997-2007 period (and even in the 2009-2010 'down' period) we've been pretty successful at holding memberships once we attract them.

I would just like to see us maximise the number of matches we play at the MCG, the number of Friday Night home and away games we play so that we give ourselves the best opportunity to take on Collingwood for 'bigness'

Case in point...

and...

So we have justification from the AFL that Tasmania restricts the number of prime time games we play - often before and after as these games are typically in the undesirable Sunday 'grave yard' shift

I just think we need to be mindful of the potential ramifications that playing games at a tinpot stadium will bring...we don't want another wasted Princes Park experiment.

...and in an unrelated article

m.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/richmond-is-averaging-more-than-50000-fans-to-home-games-in-2015/story-fni5f9jb-1227440170586

Of those home games, our home games have been split between the MCG (4) and Tasmania (3)

Hawthorn v Geelong 73,534
Hawthorn v Sydney 63,319
Hawthorn v Essendon 62,500
Hawthorn v Melbourne 41,935

Hawthorn v Fremantle 16,792
Hawthorn v W Bulldogs 15,549
Hawthorn v Gold Coast 11,320

Last year Hawthorn drew 70,000 plus to 3 MCG home games (we had 4 of the biggest 6 home and away games for the season), this year 4 of our 6 MCG home games will draw 60,000 plus (perhaps 2 of 6 that will draw 70,000 plus)...

Hawthorn now outdraws most of the supposed 'big clubs'...if you account for the Tasmania handicap we are right up there with Collingwood and Richmond

Do we want to waste our great era plodding around in front of 10,000 people in Launceston when we could be $$$ in on what is an ideal opportunity to maximise our exposure on the national stage?

Geelong is a club that will never be a big club on the basis that they play their home games in a tinpot stadium. They will never have the exposure that clubs like Hawthorn, Collingwood and Richmond attract by playing 11, 12, 13 and 14 games a season at the MCG

Staying in Tasmania for 4 games is easy, it's the status quo...but will 4 games in Tasmania make Hawthorn the next Collingwood in terms of scale? I doubt it...

If Hawthorn moved to the MCG in 1964 or VFL Park in the mid 1970s I have no doubt that Hawthorn would now match Collingwood for size. Alas we didn't, we alienated the east by moving to Carlton and wasted most of our glory years

I think the Saints adopted this mindset? How are they going and where are they right now after their 'era'?

EDIT: Just as an aside I helped out in my son's class a while back; 10 of the 28 kids go for the Hawks? I was the only one in my class in primary school. I remember it distinctly. Our membership benefits from the Tasmanian relationship will be fully realised in 10 - 15 years time imo(my son is 10).

I think the Saints adopted this mindset? How are they going and where are they right now after their 'era'?

No they didnt.

The Saints had a revenue problem when they were playing in Tasmania, we most definately do not have a revenue problem (we have the second largest revenue in the league). The Saints also had a new major sponsor every year despite their success on the field and our crowds in Melbourne are significantly larger than the Saints during the 2004-2006 period before they bailed in 2007...as a point of comparison since the start of 2008 35/77 MCG home and away games have drawn 60,000 plus, in the Saints history they've only drawn 60,000+ plus to 12 home and away games)

EDIT: Just as an aside I helped out in my son's class a while back; 10 of the 28 kids go for the Hawks? I was the only one in my class in primary school. I remember it distinctly. Our membership benefits from the Tasmanian relationship will be fully realised in 10 - 15 years time imo(my son is 10).

As long as we can protect our investment. If we are just warming the waters for a struggling Vic club to relocate to Tasmania we've just wasted 20 of our best years prepping up the market down there...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As long as we can protect our investment. If we are just warming the waters for a struggling Vic club to relocate to Tasmania we've just wasted 20 of our best years prepping up the market down there...
Massive home ground advantage
10,000 members in Tassie
Millions of dollars in pure profit each year
Yet if we were to move (our choice or others) how on earth have we wasted 20 of our best years?

Massive home ground advantage

Since 2007

MCG V Aurora V Ethiad record

76-30 V 28-7 V 24-1-5

Our best ground is actually Ethiad (81.66%) followed by Aurora (80%) and the MCG (71.6%)

We often play crap teams in Tasmania (Fremantle notwithstanding) and are brought down to their standard. Mindful of the fact that on a like for like comparison 3 or 4 of those Tasmanian games will probably be shifted to Ethiad we would lose little from an on field perspective if we were to scale back our investment.

10,000 members in Tassie

Year in, year out we always overestimate how many members we have in Tasmania. Since 2010 our membership in Tasmania has stagnated (like our crowds) around 7,000 to 9,000. Most of the support, membership and attendance explosion has occured in Victoria or other markets (such as WA, NSW, QLD and SA)

Millions of dollars in pure profit each year

Profit is relative to our revenue base. I'm not opposed to the Tasmanian deal from 2004-2010 I supported it more than any other Hawthorn fan on this site...I just think we need to be continue to question our investment in Tasmania and ensure that we maximize opportunity for long term growth and success

Yet if we were to move (our choice or others) how on earth have we wasted 20 of our best years?

By investing in the Tasmanian market when we could have used the arrangement has leverage to secure our future at the MCG

If they had their own team they'd have more games in the state and more sets of supporters making the trip. Rather than 1 clubs supporters having to stump up the cash 4 times a year (potentially), they'd have access to 11 (half the comp for the sake of the argument as they will have 11 home games) teams supporters stumping up the cash once a year.

Nope. I've boycotted Tasmania as much as possible regarding this deal. I don't have any club merchandise with Tasmania on it either. It's a shame because neither of my kids have a guernsey

You know you can buy the kids cheaper guernsey's that don't have the sponsors logo's right? say here....

http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_...sey.TRS0&_nkw=hawthorn+kids+guernsey&_sacat=0

Not sure if this is for or against the Tassie deal. I would say this is an example of the 'false economy' of Tassie.
Members who follow other clubs offer very little value to HFC. Sure, we might make a $20 profit on their $83 membership, but over time, a Melbourne based members that is also a supporter, will be 10 times more profitable due to higher cost of Vic membership, merchandising, and the likelyhood that their kids will follow the Hawks.

something to consider is that Tasmanian kids grow up and go to uni in Melbourne and often stay here permanently which is one of the reasons the population of Tassie is stagnant

There's a 15-20 year lag between kids starting to follow a team in Primary School and crowds increasing

We are in that situation again - there'd be a lot of primary and secondary age students supporting the brown and gold

It's quite possible that in 20 years time we'll have the second largest supporter base in Victoria

something to consider is that Tasmanian kids grow up and go to uni in Melbourne and often stay here permanently which is one of the reasons the population of Tassie is stagnant

There's a 15-20 year lag between kids starting to follow a team in Primary School and crowds increasing

We are in that situation again - there'd be a lot of primary and secondary age students supporting the brown and gold

It's quite possible that in 20 years time we'll have the second largest supporter base in Victoria
How many kids move from Tassie to Melbourne each year for uni? 1000? Say 500 form the north? If 25% (reported) of these follow Hawthorn, then that is 125 people. If 25% of those become members that is 31 new members each year.
There are four million people in Melbourne. Melbourne will overtake Sydney within a generation as our biggest city.
Concentrate on the much greater potential here.

Don't disagree with anything you say here only to say that if you look at our membership over the 1997-2007 period (and even in the 2009-2010 'down' period) we've been pretty successful at holding memberships once we attract them.

I would just like to see us maximise the number of matches we play at the MCG, the number of Friday Night home and away games we play so that we give ourselves the best opportunity to take on Collingwood for 'bigness'

Case in point...

and...

So we have justification from the AFL that Tasmania restricts the number of prime time games we play - often before and after as these games are typically in the undesirable Sunday 'grave yard' shift

I just think we need to be mindful of the potential ramifications that playing games at a tinpot stadium will bring...we don't want another wasted Princes Park experiment.

...and in an unrelated article

m.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/richmond-is-averaging-more-than-50000-fans-to-home-games-in-2015/story-fni5f9jb-1227440170586

Of those home games, our home games have been split between the MCG (4) and Tasmania (3)

Hawthorn v Geelong 73,534
Hawthorn v Sydney 63,319
Hawthorn v Essendon 62,500
Hawthorn v Melbourne 41,935

Hawthorn v Fremantle 16,792
Hawthorn v W Bulldogs 15,549
Hawthorn v Gold Coast 11,320

Last year Hawthorn drew 70,000 plus to 3 MCG home games (we had 4 of the biggest 6 home and away games for the season), this year 4 of our 6 MCG home games will draw 60,000 plus (perhaps 2 of 6 that will draw 70,000 plus)...

Hawthorn now outdraws most of the supposed 'big clubs'...if you account for the Tasmania handicap we are right up there with Collingwood and Richmond

Do we want to waste our great era plodding around in front of 10,000 people in Launceston when we could be $$$ in on what is an ideal opportunity to maximise our exposure on the national stage?

Geelong is a club that will never be a big club on the basis that they play their home games in a tinpot stadium. They will never have the exposure that clubs like Hawthorn, Collingwood and Richmond attract by playing 11, 12, 13 and 14 games a season at the MCG

Staying in Tasmania for 4 games is easy, it's the status quo...but will 4 games in Tasmania make Hawthorn the next Collingwood in terms of scale? I doubt it...

If Hawthorn moved to the MCG in 1964 or VFL Park in the mid 1970s I have no doubt that Hawthorn would now match Collingwood for size. Alas we didn't, we alienated the east by moving to Carlton and wasted most of our glory years
Look guys I'm wading into territory riddled with numbers and counter arguments but one thing I do get and understand is that when struggling Vic clubs play another struggling Vic club they don't fill a stadium and end up writing a cheque to the stadium operator for the running cost, this also goes when a big 4 Vic club plays an interstate club and don't meet the breakeven numbers.
My heart says that the Hawks should play more games in Vic, get more Vics on board through more games and better value memberships as a result but what are the breakeven numbers for the MCG and Docklands stadiums? until we can guarantee that we can meet those numbers the Tassie deal stays, no point writing cheques when you get paid for the low drawing games that would otherwise cost the club.
Anymore complicated than that and this stuff just leaves me with my head in my hands, cue pic.

If our current run of success continues, (& there's no reason to see why not.) then we'll easily be number 1 in a generations time, without question.

Hawkk, you seem to be forgetting that over the last 14 years in which we have been in Tassie, our membership has sky-rocketed....Not in spite of it, but in aid of it....Any suggestion to the contrary that we'd be better off elsewhere, is pure hypothetical, speculative nonsense.

Love how peeps bitch and moan about less melbourne games, and for the most part they are the ones who don't go to etihad games or the low drawing games.

I am one who thinks the tassie deal is still important and hope we hold onto it as long as we can.

This is a good deal in the bad times, when revenue was struggling, it kept the hawks afloat and stable for many years. Not only the $3m, but the additional members which draws more sponsors etc.

Abandoning this sponsorship deal (which the club has no intention of doing) would be extremely short-sighted. All those Hawthorn members will come in handy when the tide turns.

If our current run of success continues, (& there's no reason to see why not.) then we'll easily be number 1 in a generations time, without question.

We won't be number one.

For the first 30 years of our VFL existence we were probably the smallest club in the competition (with North). Its taken 50 years of unprecedented success for us to climb up the list and enter the top 5 Victorian clubs (in terms of raw support).

Where we go from there in the future I'm not sure but we are the only Victorian club to break the cycle...and we would have broken it sooner if we didn't waste 20 of our best years at Princes Park (I don't want us to make the same mistake in Tasmania...)

Hawkk, you seem to be forgetting that over the last 14 years in which we have been in Tassie, our membership has sky-rocketed....Not in spite of it, but in aid of it....Any suggestion to the contrary that we'd be better off elsewhere, is pure hypothetical, speculative nonsense.

Perhaps a little optimistic to say that Tasmania has driven our membership growth? In 2006 we had 28,000 members (3,000 in Tasmania), today we have 73,000 members (9,000 in Tasmania). For years I debated with posters on this forum (2004-2010) the benefit of the Tasmanian arrangement and how we wouldn't lose members in Victoria (which we haven't).

What I didn't anticipate in those days was that we were going to win 3 flags, make 4 GF's and chase a threepeat (I mean who would?). Tasmania doesn't impact on our membership in a negative way (although there is an argument that returning the games would cause a price shift upwards for all the Victorian packages) but it does impact on our ability to draw crowds (somewhere around 70,000 to 80,000 a year) and play in prime time fixtures (as evidenced by the quote by the AFL a few pages back).

Our brand has never been stronger and we should be all we can to maximize our attendances and more importantly our national exposure (remember potential fans exist outside the Melbourne and Launceston bubble).

The more Friday Night games we play, the more exposure we get in the national markets, the more lucrative we can be for national / international sponsors.

In 2010 we knocked back the opportunity of a lifetime to cash in our bets and leave Tasmania on our terms (or at least scale down our investment) and use the rumored $7m to set the club up for generations. With ongoing success around the corner we could have locked in an MCG arrangement which would have springboard us onto bigger and better things.

Since 2010 we have seen our membership stall and attendances shrink as North Melbourne has taken over the south of Tasmania. If Tasmania is a market we want to hold long term we better make sure Tasmania doesn't get a new licence all to themselves or push for a relocation of a battling Victorian club...if either was to occur our investment in Tasmania would be all for nought

Remove this Banner Ad

Back