Teams New York Jets - Gang Green

Remove this Banner Ad

lol what a throwaway artcile

"DeCastro gets paid like a GM by a team he has good relationships within, where he will take over he reigns sooner rather than later, the team also appening to be a perenial playoff contender... But he was sprning the Jets as opposed to just not wanting to damn up a good thing in general"

Everyone has reported that Tom Gamble was our top target, that he has spurned other teams to focus on the Jets job and it's all but a done deal. I'm not too worried.

Interviewed with the Jets on Saturday then told the Jaguars that he wasn't available to interview with them, according to ESPN.

Glazer: Jets “can’t give [G.M.] position away”

350x-119.jpg

Maybe the Jets eventually will just bring back Mike Tannenbaum.

Something has to happen at some point, because Jets owner Woody Johnson is having a hard time finding a new General Manager. Per Jay Glazer of FOX, the team “can’t give the position away.”

Glazer says the Jets are calling back candidates who already have turned them down, asking them to reconsider. Meanwhile, guys they wanted who had other options (like Dave Caldwell and Tom Telesco) opted to go elsewhere.

So where will they go from here? Adam Schefter of ESPN reported earlier today that the Jets plan to have follow-up discussions this week with two of the candidates who haven’t turn them down (yet), and that the name to watch is former Bears G.M. Jerry Angelo. Per Schefter, Jets assistant G.M. Scott Cohen also is expected to be part of the process.

Making the job unattractive is the circus surrounding the franchise, from being forced to keep coach Rex Ryan for at least one year to the quarterback situation to a salary-cap mess, the job is viewed as not attractive.

Actually, those factors could make the job more attractive, because it could give the guy who takes the job a scholarship year with no expectations. Then, with a better cap and roster situation in 2014 and a license to hire a new coach, the new G.M. wouldn’t be on the clock until 2014.

If that doesn’t help the Jets get someone they want, the best play could be to promote Cohen, see how 2013 goes, and if necessary fire everyone after the coming season and start from scratch.

Actually, those factors could make the job more attractive, because it could give the guy who takes the job a scholarship year with no expectations. Then, with a better cap and roster situation in 2014 and a license to hire a new coach, the new G.M. wouldn’t be on the clock until 2014.

2013 will be a comparatively bad year from a cap perspective, due to decisions made by Tanny in the "win-now" mode. But 2014 will see a lot of salary shed from the cap, so the GM will have a lot of money to spend in free agency.

To be honest, it's quite refreshing to see the Jets not be hurried into naming a GM simply for the sake of it. Hasty decisions are always repented at leisure.

Jets were going to offer Caldwell the house — literally

350x-91.jpg

Here’s a bit more evidence that the Jets aren’t having the easiest time finding someone to take their general manager job.

According to Peter King of Sports Illustrated, the Jets were going to include a $1 million housing allowance in the deal they were preparing for GM candidate David Caldwell.

The Jets will eventually find someone to take their GM job. After all, there are only 32 such positions in the world, and many more people who want one of them.

But the fact they couldn’t convince Caldwell to join them, even while offering such a huge perk, speaks to the issues there.

A tight salary cap, a problematic quarterback situation, and a coach he didn’t get to pick was apparently more than Caldwell wanted to take on, no matter what.

Say what you want about Jacksonville (note to New York, not everyone wants to live in New York), but getting to do things his way, with an owner who has shown signs of being supportive while not meddling (cough, Tebow, cough), was apparently enough to sway Caldwell’s decision.

With the Caldwell offer, he was the one that insisted on it because other teams had made the same offer to him. We merely said it would happen.

Agree stko. We'll see what happens. Should be interesting at least.

For all his doubters, I actually trust Rex as a coach. We should have won more games than we did this year (which will happen ever year I admit). For a team apparently lacking so much talent (as well as the players we had out), we did OK. You'd think we were the 08 Lions the way some are carrying on.

Jets unlikely to add Michael Vick, may target Tarvaris Jackson

350x-8.jpg

When Marty Mornhinweg was named the Jets’ offensive coordinator, speculation immediately began that Michael Vick could be the next quarterback to join the Jets’ circus. But that does not appear likely.

Although Mornhinweg and Vick worked together for four years in Philadelphia, ESPN’s Adam Schefter reports that Vick and Mornhinweg weren’t on great terms and wouldn’t want to work together again in 2013.

And anyway, the Jets are already bound to pay Mark Sanchez like a starter whether they want to or not, and they don’t want to add another expensive option, which Vick is likely to be, assuming he gets cut by the Eagles and becomes an unrestricted free agent. The New York Post reported that the Jets would be unlikely to make a move for Alex Smith of the 49ers or Matt Flynn of the Seahawks for the same reason: They’d be too expensive.

Still, the Jets do want someone who can compete with Sanchez. So who might that be? Schefter says new Jets G.M. John Idzik has always been a believer in Tarvaris Jackson, who was the Seahawks’ starter in 2011 while Idzik was Seattle’s V.P. of football administration. The Post also reported that Jackson could be a possibility with the Jets, as could Matt Moore, Jason Campbell or David Garrard.

Jets fans probably aren’t going to be excited about any of those names. Actually, Jets fans should probably just go ahead and resign themselves now to the fact that they won’t be excited about any of their quarterback options in 2013.

Jets unlikely to add Michael Vick, may target Tarvaris Jackson

350x-8.jpg

When Marty Mornhinweg was named the Jets’ offensive coordinator, speculation immediately began that Michael Vick could be the next quarterback to join the Jets’ circus. But that does not appear likely.

Although Mornhinweg and Vick worked together for four years in Philadelphia, ESPN’s Adam Schefter reports that Vick and Mornhinweg weren’t on great terms and wouldn’t want to work together again in 2013.

And anyway, the Jets are already bound to pay Mark Sanchez like a starter whether they want to or not, and they don’t want to add another expensive option, which Vick is likely to be, assuming he gets cut by the Eagles and becomes an unrestricted free agent. The New York Post reported that the Jets would be unlikely to make a move for Alex Smith of the 49ers or Matt Flynn of the Seahawks for the same reason: They’d be too expensive.

Still, the Jets do want someone who can compete with Sanchez. So who might that be? Schefter says new Jets G.M. John Idzik has always been a believer in Tarvaris Jackson, who was the Seahawks’ starter in 2011 while Idzik was Seattle’s V.P. of football administration. The Post also reported that Jackson could be a possibility with the Jets, as could Matt Moore, Jason Campbell or David Garrard.

Jets fans probably aren’t going to be excited about any of those names. Actually, Jets fans should probably just go ahead and resign themselves now to the fact that they won’t be excited about any of their quarterback options in 2013.

Matt Moore was pretty good for the Dolphins in the 2011/12 season

woody in denial...

Woody Johnson told GM applicant he didn’t want Tebow

350x-133.jpg

The notion that Jets owner Woddy Johnson was driving the Tim Tebow train has become widely accepted, partly through the words that have fallen out of Johnson’s own mouth

But that’s not what Johnson told at least one of his general manager candidates, saying the unused backup quarterback was “forced” on him.
According to Rich Cimini of ESPNNewYork, candidate Ted Sundquist said that during his interview with Johnson and team president Neil Glat, Johnson said acquiring Tebow wasn’t his idea.

Since it’s clear coach Rex Ryan didn’t want him, based on playing time, that leaves fired GM Mike Tannenbaum to blame. But Sundquist said Johnson told him he eventually “jumped on board,” with the idea.

“They realized it was divisive and hard on the locker room, and they wanted an exit strategy,” Sundquist said.

Well, they started the process by creating the job opening Sundquist applied for, bringing in Seattle’s John Izdik to be the next guy Johnson will blame for something that he seemed willing to take credit for before it was revealed to be foolish.

No good ever comes from being in denial...

Source scoffs at Woody’s claim Tebow was “forced” on him

350x-372.jpg

While Jets owner Woody Johnson tried to dodge the Tim Tebow bullet with one job applicant, saying Tebow was “forced,” on him, there are now folks ready to call B-S. Actually, there are plenty, but one of them talked to a newspaper reporter.

According to Brian Costello of the New York Post, a source with direct knowledge of the trade scoffed at Johnson’s distancing himself from a move that didn’t work.

“He owns the team,” the source said. “All he had to do was say ‘no.’ Nothing is ever forced on Woody.”

The guy who will continue to get blamed for it is former general manager Mike Tannenbaum, for one of two equally plausible reasons.

One, it could have been because it was solely Tannenbaum’s idea and he ram-rodded through the entire organization. Or two, and just as likely, simply because he’s gone now and remains the easiest to blame.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reports that the Jets will listen to trade offers for Revis...

Source: Jets to shop Darrelle Revis
January 23, 2013, 11:25 PM ET
By Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com
T
Pessimistic about his chances of re-signing Darrelle Revis before he becomes a free agent next year, New York Jets owner Woody Johnson is open to trading the star cornerback, a person familiar with Johnson's thinking said Wednesday night.
Revis' contract will void after the 2013 season, and there is a clause in the deal that prohibits the Jets from using the franchise tag.
If they don't sign Revis to an extension, the Jets could lose him as a free agent.
The fact that Revis is just three months removed from major knee surgery complicates the matter. There also are salary-cap ramifications that could hinder a potential trade.
Johnson has "no confidence" in the Jets' ability to re-sign Revis, the person familiar with his thinking said. Despite the knee injury, he could seek more than $16 million per year, which could be prohibitive for the cap-strapped Jets. They're already $19.4 million over the 2013 salary cap.
Revis is due to make $6 million in 2013, including $3 million in base pay and the rest in various bonus money.
The Jets could gauge interest around the league, hoping to receive fair-market value for Revis. But that will be difficult, considering the nature of his injury and his steep contract demands.
CBSSports.com first reported that Johnson wants to explore a possible trade involving Revis.
The development came on the eve of John Idzik's formal introduction as the Jets' new general manager. The former Seattle Seahawks executive has the final say on personnel matters, and the Revis showdown looms as one of the most pressing items on his offseason agenda.
The Jets consider Revis one of the best players in team history, but they've previously engaged in two acrimonious negotiations with his agents.
Revis sat out the 2010 preseason in a contract dispute, eventually signing what was described as a short-term, "Band-Aid" deal. It was a one-year extension to the remaining three years -- a total of $46 million.
Coming off a 6-10 season, the Jets need to replenish their roster and solve their salary-cap issues. Johnson may see Revis as a bargaining chip that could accomplish those goals.
Despite his contract issues, Revis never has expressed a desire to play elsewhere.
"I definitely want to be here," Revis said the day after the season. "This is where I live, this is the team I got drafted by."
In recent days, however, Johnson has talked privately about life without Revis, expressing concern about what it would cost to keep him.
Would a 2nd this year and a 2nd next year get the deal done? Would love him in Tampa to help patch up our piss-poor secondary!

Reports that the Jets will listen to trade offers for Revis...

Would a 2nd this year and a 2nd next year get the deal done? Would love him in Tampa to help patch up our piss-poor secondary!

No. Would want a first rounder in 2014, given the expected strength of the 2014 draft class.

I haven't heard the interview on "Football Today", but it's summarised here. Andrew Brandt, a former Packers executive now working for ESPN, reckons that Revis "will never be happy, financially".

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/20395/brandt-on-revis-hell-never-be-happy

Yeah I heard that podcast and gotta say I tend to agree with what he said. He basically said Revis/his management look at it as Revis being comparable to the best players in the league and shouldn't be compared to other Corner-Backs. I love Revis but considering he is an Unrestricted FA next year and can't be franchised probably best to see what we can get for him now it's at least worth testing the waters. Would be great if we could get a decent WR/TE for Sanchez/whoever our QB will be to throw to.

Also interesting on the BS Report Simmons and Cousin Sal discussing Sanchez potentially being a good fit/pick up for KC or the Browns. It's pure speculation but Simmons stated he didn't think Sanchez would be at the Jets next year though considering the salary issues don't see how this would happen.

Tannenbaum calls Tebow “just a trade that didn’t work out”

350x-771.jpg

Former Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum could have gone the way of so many of his co-workers, and even employers.

He could have passed the buck on the most talked-about decision of his tenure, the ill-fated trade for Tim Tebow. Owner Woody Johnson did, even though that buck (buck is the primary source of deer antler, by the way) ostensibly stops with him.

But Tannenbaum took the fall for this one, taking the blame for the deal himself.

“Once we met on it and talked about it, ultimately that was my decision to trade for Tim,” Tannenbaum told Rich Cimini of ESPNNewYork.com.
Asked if he had to convince Johnson of the deal, Tannenbaum repeatedly put the onus on himself.

“I had a great working relationship with both Woody and Rex [Ryan],” he said. “Anytime we’d make a decision on something like this, we’d talk about it, discuss the pros and cons and ultimately it was my decision. I’ve always said that.

“For seven years, I had final say on everything. That was an honor and a privilege and a responsibility I totally embraced — whether it was trading for Tim Tebow or trading up for Darrelle Revis or trading for Brett Favre and everything in between. Ultimately, I had the final say on things.”

Tannenbaum referred to it as “just a trade that didn’t work out,” which is kind of like saying “beer is occasionally available in New Orleans.”

Tannenbaum said the idea initially stemmed from their desire to replace Brad Smith as their run-option quarterback, and the hiring of Tony Sparano with Wildcat background made it seem like a perfect fit.

“We thought there was a role for him,” Tannenbaum said. “Working with Rex every day, and seeing the way the league has evolved with the ball being in the quarterback’s hands and making plays with your feet, we thought it would give us a chance to make our offense more dynamic. It just didn’t work out that way.”

Considering Tebow played just 75 snaps of offense, and never had as much impact as he created distraction, that might be the understatement of the week.

That's Tanny trying to make sure he projects the message that he will always protect the owner and take the fall as the GM. It's about painting himself as worthy of a front office role.

So no more Revis huh? On the one hand I'm disappointed, on the other glad we got something for him before he walked out as a FA next year. I guess it will all depend on who we draft and how well they perform as to whether it is seen as a brilliant or stupidly ridiculous move downt he track. Would have preferred a better "2nd" draft pick but it is what it is.

I think there's a fair chance that Idzik will turn one of pick 9 or pick 13 into a late first round pick and extra picks later in the draft. He's already put the word out he's open to trading down, and I think that one of St Louis, Minnesota or the 49ers might be prepared to trade up if there's a player they like at 9 or 13 who won't make it to their first pick.

As for Revis, I'm disappointed to see him leave but his card was marked the moment Woody made it known that he wasn't prepared to pay what Revis demands. Although his contract with the Bucs doesn't contain any guaranteed money, given the Bucs traded their first round draft pick to the Jets for him, I don't see him not being on their roster until 2015 at the earliest, so that means they're on hook for him for $32 million. That's a lot to invest in the CB.

I'll preface this by saying I know little about the rookies other than what I've seen on TV/read about the last week or so.

So far, disappointed we didn't get Mingo or Austin, also disappointed we haven't addressed some pressing needs like RB, WR or OLB as yet.

And they've drafted Geno Smith. I thought they would have been better building the frame of a team this year, wearing Sanchez's contract for another year then drafting a QB next year in what is supposedly a better QB draft class. This now leaves Sanchez up in the air with ESPN reporting there are rumours they may release him after the June 1 deadline to take less of a cap hit.

Hopefully they use their remaining picks to plug some holes on the offense because otherwise there's no point drafting a rookie QB then hanging him out to dry.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back