Prediction Next Non-Victorian Club Premier

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
You can only pick 1 club folks.

I am going with Fremantle (despite Brisbane being the most obvious/sexy pick)

I honestly believe Freo (assuming their core list stays together and healthy) are primed for a flag in the next 3-4 years

If they have a decent run of injuries, I see no reason why Freo cannot win the flag in 2023, especially considering Freo have a fairly decent record at the G in the last 5/10 years and the recruitment of Luke Jackson.

Biggest chances are West Coast as the biggest and richest club in the land, the only way the Victorian Government/AFL can hurt them is through blatant umpire cheating (not unprecedented).
Sydney also as the Corporate dollar of the glamour side from the country's richest and most important city is still coveted.
Outside of that, nobody really.

Who knows but Brisbane, Port, Fremantle, Gold Coast, Sydney all have enough pieces to suggest they'll be up and about for periods of over the next 6-7 years. Probably narrow it down to the first two.

I enjoy these posts because there is no certainty or even probability of a club being in contention or out of contention after 6-7 years.

This was the top 4 last year:
1. Geelong
2. Melbourne
3. Sydney
4. Collingwood

Here is where they were in 2015:
10. Geelong
13. Melbourne
4. Sydney
12. Collingwood

This was the top 4 in 2021:
1. Melbourne
2. Port
3. Geelong
4. Brisbane

Here is where they were in 2014:
17. Melbourne
5. Port
3. Geelong
15. Brisbane

I can go on but you get the point. Adelaide, GWS and West Coast look to be cellar dwellers this year, agreed, and not many Adelaide, GWS and West Coast fans would disagree with you either - but a lot can change in one pre-season, let alone six. From my own club, we went from wooden spoon to top 4 in 2010-11, middle of the table to GF in 2014-2015, and lucky finalists to premiers in 2017-18. The five you mentioned are all well positioned but there is no guarantee all of them will be serious flag contenders this year - or ever, until the next inevitable rebuild.

I enjoy these posts because there is no certainty or even probability of a club being in contention or out of contention after 6-7 years.

This was the top 4 last year:
1. Geelong
2. Melbourne
3. Sydney
4. Collingwood

Here is where they were in 2015:
10. Geelong
13. Melbourne
4. Sydney
12. Collingwood

This was the top 4 in 2021:
1. Melbourne
2. Port
3. Geelong
4. Brisbane

Here is where they were in 2014:
17. Melbourne
5. Port
3. Geelong
15. Brisbane

I can go on but you get the point. Adelaide and West Coast look to be cellar dwellers this year, agreed, and not many Adelaide and West Coast fans would disagree with you either - but a lot can change in one pre-season, let alone six. From my own club, we went from wooden spoon to top 4 in 2010-11, middle of the table to GF in 2014-2015, and lucky finalists to premiers in 2017-18. The five you mentioned are all well positioned but there is no guarantee all of them will be serious flag contenders this year - or ever, until the next inevitable rebuild.

I agree that things can change quickly, but you need to see the pieces before you can project that. Brisbane getting Neale, Cameron, Daniher, McCarthy along with their kids they added obviously changed their trajectory but now you're not judging the same list... it's okay to update your opinions as the facts change. So Brisbane/Melbourne got a lot of s**t right but they also only have 3 and 4 players left from 2014, so any dire prediction of the state of their list, was correct.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brisbane or Sydney , in a game of small margins the academy’s and being around long enough for F/S players to come through give them that little edge that should let them compete with the Vics

What is it now 13 out of the last 15 flags to VIC teams or something stupid like that

I wouldn’t be holding my breath

Dockers for mine, they have recrited Jackson, Darcy and Fyfe are fit, Young, Serong and Brayshaw will improve.
O'Meara is slow but adds depth.
Frederick is a game breaker plus there's plenty of muscle in the team.
I think the purple monster will be unleashed.

Their backline oddly I think is still more of a concern for them than their forward line (least from a KPP perspective) but as you say, Freo's midfield is absolutely stacked, especially with Gut runners.

They got a very good deal for Lobb (who will be a loss but clearly peaked given his age) and they are very hard to beat at home around the wide spaces of Optus, and their travelling/road record, esp at the G, is pretty good.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back