News NMFC AFLW 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jeff Kennett in push for Tasmanian women’s AFL team

http://www.themercury.com.au/sport/...m/news-story/40671b570412528508ee136acee12365

FORMER Hawthorn president Jeff Kennett believes Tasmania’s two AFL tenants should fund a state women’s team in the national competition.

And he has found a most unlikely ally in former AFL Tasmania chief executive Scott Wade.

Tasmania has been barred from applying for a licence for the inaugural women’s competition next year, with the AFL only accepting submissions from existing AFL clubs for the eight spots.

But Tasmanian Greens Senator Nick McKim is pushing for a task force to be set up for a 2018 push.

v1

“Collingwood wants a football team, Collingwood wants a netball team, Collingwood wants this, Collingwood wants that and they are out there in the market place talking about it the whole time but their team is slipping backwards,” Kennett said. “They might have a membership base but they have lost focus.

“That is why some of the clubs … would argue from a professional point of view that their first responsibility is actually to do what they are currently doing well [a men’s team].

“That’s why it is a pity Hawthorn and North Melbourne between them couldn’t sponsor a women’s team from Tassie.

“I think if you could get some agreement it would be almost incumbent on the AFL to give such a team a nod. Tasmania gets very little from the AFL anyway.”

So far the Tasmanian Government has refused to declare what action it had planned to support a team, and Wade believes inaction could lead to Tasmania missing out again.

“Tasmania missed a wonderful opportunity a long time ago to get in on the ground floor of the VFL and an expanded men’s national competition,” Wade said.

“We weren’t proactive enough and we didn’t have strong enough government leadership.

“We should not miss this opportunity with the women. There is going to be a women’s competition and Tasmania should be in on the ground floor.”

He said Tasmania had supported the AFL and the AFL clubs, and now it was time to share the wealth.

“Tasmania is paying nearly $6 million per annum year after year to Hawthorn and North Melbourne ... surely Tasmania can afford to fund a team in the women’s competition,” he said.

Kennett said a Tasmanian women’s team could open the door for a men’s team down the track.

“If this women’s team gets off the ground and if there was a way of doing it in Tasmania it would be a wonderful addition to the island state and it would also make it very hard for the AFL to say no if something was viable,” Kennett said.

Hey Giantroo, I don't know how to load a video from the afl site but there is a magnificent video there about the AFL youth women's comp. I think it was posted today or yesterday. Could I ask you try to load it onto this thread for us? Thanks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Had a bad feeling all along that we'd miss out despite all our good work with Melb Uni. Battlers Melbourne and the Dogs are locked in, Saints have a strong south east connection. Reckon the other Melbourne licences will go to bigger clubs. Hope I'm wrong.

Women's league teams to be named on Wednesday

THE 13 AFL clubs that lodged bids for a licence in the 2017 women's competition will learn the make-up of the new league on Wednesday morning.

The AFL is set to confirm the successful bids at a function at the MCG, with at least eight teams – and possibly 10 – to play in the yet-to-be named women's competition. AFL chairman Mick Fitzpatrick will announce the names of the winning clubs.

Once the clubs have been named, the AFL is expected to immediately brief them on player signing and drafting rules.

The women's competition is set to start in February, with the format and rules still to be decided. The end of the first season of the new league could coincide with round one of the AFL season.

Melbourne and the Western Bulldogs have been fielding women's teams in AFL exhibition matches the past three seasons and are considered front-runners to win licences. The two have developed an intense rivalry and will face each other again on September 3 as part of the AFL's 'Celebration of Football' week.

Here's a snapshot of what the biddings clubs outlined in their proposals:

• Adelaide's bid centered on an "exciting" and "well-supported" approach to women's football, creating pathways for those who aspire to play at the highest level.
  • The Brisbane Lions outlined their suitability for a team by illustrating how their existing facilities could be used to "make dreams come true" for female "superstars".
  • Carlton vowed to take "a genuine" approach to its women's team, arguing it had existing facilities and the right coaching staff to support female players.
  • Collingwood's proposal was built on its vision of being Australia's biggest and most inclusive sporting club. The Magpies would use their $25 million state-of-the-art facilities to support a women's team.
  • Fremantle lodged a "compelling and unique" case, proposing that Curtin University and the City of Cockburn would be the club's major partners. The Dockers said players could be offered either a job with the club or education and scholarship opportunities via Curtin.
  • Geelong's said its bid was aligned to the club's values of "respect for diversity, respect for women and, in particular, allowing women and people to be the best they can possibly be".
  • Greater Western Sydney wanted a women's team to "break down barriers" and grow participation from grassroots to the elite level.
  • Melbourne focused on "opening up its elite facilities" in preparation for a women's team.
  • North Melbourne argued it understood the women's football landscape, pointing to its "existing and robust model for women's football" and its long-term partnership with Melbourne University's women's team.
  • Richmond said its campaign was driven by "its authentic and long-term commitment to gender equity, and the establishment of a culture that would allow a women's team to thrive".
  • St Kilda, the first club to appoint a female assistant coach, said its bid was based on creating an "integrated high-performance network of three teams".
  • West Coast's vision was to field "a sustainable, professional, and premiership-winning" team to grow women's football in Western Australia.
  • The Western Bulldogs argued they would take "a genuine high-performance approach" to women's football to inspire young female players.

Women's league teams to be named on Wednesday

THE 13 AFL clubs that lodged bids for a licence in the 2017 women's competition will learn the make-up of the new league on Wednesday morning.

The AFL is set to confirm the successful bids at a function at the MCG, with at least eight teams – and possibly 10 – to play in the yet-to-be named women's competition. AFL chairman Mick Fitzpatrick will announce the names of the winning clubs.

Once the clubs have been named, the AFL is expected to immediately brief them on player signing and drafting rules.

The women's competition is set to start in February, with the format and rules still to be decided. The end of the first season of the new league could coincide with round one of the AFL season.

Melbourne and the Western Bulldogs have been fielding women's teams in AFL exhibition matches the past three seasons and are considered front-runners to win licences. The two have developed an intense rivalry and will face each other again on September 3 as part of the AFL's 'Celebration of Football' week.

Here's a snapshot of what the biddings clubs outlined in their proposals:

• Adelaide's bid centered on an "exciting" and "well-supported" approach to women's football, creating pathways for those who aspire to play at the highest level.
  • The Brisbane Lions outlined their suitability for a team by illustrating how their existing facilities could be used to "make dreams come true" for female "superstars".
  • Carlton vowed to take "a genuine" approach to its women's team, arguing it had existing facilities and the right coaching staff to support female players.
  • Collingwood's proposal was built on its vision of being Australia's biggest and most inclusive sporting club. The Magpies would use their $25 million state-of-the-art facilities to support a women's team.
  • Fremantle lodged a "compelling and unique" case, proposing that Curtin University and the City of Cockburn would be the club's major partners. The Dockers said players could be offered either a job with the club or education and scholarship opportunities via Curtin.
  • Geelong's said its bid was aligned to the club's values of "respect for diversity, respect for women and, in particular, allowing women and people to be the best they can possibly be".
  • Greater Western Sydney wanted a women's team to "break down barriers" and grow participation from grassroots to the elite level.
  • Melbourne focused on "opening up its elite facilities" in preparation for a women's team.
  • North Melbourne argued it understood the women's football landscape, pointing to its "existing and robust model for women's football" and its long-term partnership with Melbourne University's women's team.
  • Richmond said its campaign was driven by "its authentic and long-term commitment to gender equity, and the establishment of a culture that would allow a women's team to thrive".
  • St Kilda, the first club to appoint a female assistant coach, said its bid was based on creating an "integrated high-performance network of three teams".
  • West Coast's vision was to field "a sustainable, professional, and premiership-winning" team to grow women's football in Western Australia.
  • The Western Bulldogs argued they would take "a genuine high-performance approach" to women's football to inspire young female players.
Are you happy about this GR? Honestly?

I'm going to stick my neck out and say we will win a licence.

(As my late father used to say - sarcastically - "Not often I'm right but I'm wrong this time")

A colleague who is prone to making very confident (and persuasive) statements in meetings often acknowledges: "I am sometimes wrong but I am never unsure."

One of the local junior clubs in the league my son plays has been awarded significant grants on the back of them having girls sides. The funds will see them able to basically totally redevelop their facilities.

Womens/girls footy is going to explode. I'd much prefer that we put effort into this and being there on the ground floor than to push effort and funds into a stand alone VFL side. With the single alignment I no longer see this as a huge priority.

However I would go so far as to say, if we are successful in attaining a license of a womens team, it will only be a short road before we have an AFL side, a VFL side and a Womens AFL side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back