No more 3rd party deals - unless your name is Chris Judd

Remove this Banner Ad

Putting aside that this is Judd, how can these sponsor related deals be allowed and for the salary cap to keep any integrity?

If consistency of player payments is a desired outcome for a more even and equitable competition, then all outside sponsor and related party contributions should be included in the salary cap.

Putting aside that this is Judd, how can these sponsor related deals be allowed and for the salary cap to keep any integrity?

If consistency of player payments is a desired outcome for a more even and equitable competition, then all outside sponsor and related party contributions should be included in the salary cap.

That's the rational and logical way of looking at it ... but this is the AFL. Integrity isn't a priority.

Either players get NO payments outside the club PERIOD, or they allow players to make $$ off their marketability. Lawyers will find a loophole everytime...

Go Catters

Judd's VISY deal and the AFL's acceptance of it was an insult to people's intelligence. Even more so when the club was still paying off a fine for doing exactly the same thing without the publicity.

Even one-eyed supporters had trouble defending it. Actually I don't think they even really tried.

But equally amazing is the AFL's reversal on it now. It's an admission this deal & others like it were exactly what we knew them to be. Carlton & others are now being screwed for doing something the AFL accepted as within their rules. To avoid blowback the AFL are now changing rules on the fly again to cover their arse.

How people can't see through the AFL's competition rigging has me beat.

Wonder if Anderson left the Afl with anymore hidden grenades,
Stopping the Judd visy contract, persuing melb against andrews wishes

I genuinely don't think this Anderson's work. He's a highly structured, by the rules kind of guy (see AA's insistence on integrity dept, tribunal points etc.), while Demetriou and Gill are deal makers (look for win-wins, optimised fixtures for revenue). I think Anderson had to make too many compromises along the way to suit the views by these two power brokers, which is why he walked in the end. His values are incompatible with Demetriou's and Gill's.

Get used to more of these issues under this administration. The back room is going to get more and more convoluted if these two don't put in a worthy Ops Manager.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If there was any more evidence required to ask serious questions about the people running this game look no further.
Incompetence has a new name = AFL house.
Time's up for them as they're bringing the game into disrepute.
Tanking, Drug policies and 3rd party deals. The waters are no longer murky, they're downright black and it's all of their own doing.

Easy answer for the AFL

Just exclude clubs from accessing players via free agency while these deals are in place

Anyone can see whatever judd gets outside the cap, means that amount is available when the club goes shopping for players

Doesn't it say the payments are part of the cap? The injury payments thing is a bit suspect though.

For anyone who hasn't read the entire article, can someone explain to me what an injury payment is and why have I never heard of it until today?

How long does Judd have left on his contract?

If the AFL accepted his original contract and it's still running they can hardly turn around and say now it's illegal.
I would think we are down to the last few/years for such contracts currently in place.

People are missing the vital part of the story as to WHY the payment has been structured this way

While the AFL and Blues would not comment, there is speculation the Blues were allowed to use their injury allowance partly as a trade-off for not being told until October 22 – the final days of the trade period – that the money would no longer be excluded from the salary cap.

This meant they had no time to trade a player out to accommodate the payments.

Seriously what do people expect for Carlton to have done ??? We couldn't trade out a player to free up cap space to accommodate the payment, and the situation was created due to an 11th hour AFL back flip on the deal. The payment is also payed over a financial year, so half of it would have been covered by July-Dec 2012 anyway.

As for those saying "what has VISY gotten out of this sponsorship", EVERYONE who has commented in the HUNDREDS of threads relating to this deal is contributing to the publicity generated by it, let alone the use of his image through the company and the environmental stuff he does too. VISY has probably generated more publicity through the Judd deal than the AFL did through Hunt and Folau combined at a FRACTION of the cost.

The whole situation was created due to the AFL moving the goal posts once again. Would people have preferred that the whole payment was forced into the TPP, meaning we broke the salary cap for 2012 ??? Or are Carlton allowed to settle it in a manner that Judd gets his money, we stay within the cap and the AFL get to claim that 3rd party agreements are no longer acceptable even after 5 years of it being approved ???

How long does Judd have left on his contract?

If the AFL accepted his original contract and it's still running they can hardly turn around and say now it's illegal.
I would think we are down to the last few/years for such contracts currently in place.

It is the FINAL year of the contract. This is the problem, a 6 year contract was accepted but the AFL then back flipped after 5 years and forced Carlton to include the 6th year in the cap.

As long as this is the last year it csn count in any part of the cap then no problem. They can't change the rules with no time left to adjust for the 2013 year and not be a bit flexible

Remove this Banner Ad

Back