Non-AFL chat thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the one that's doing my head in at the minute.

Why the **** is this song (especially the chorus, please kill me) any less cringe-worthy than the likes of Friday?

I'm talking about the live music scene, so not most of the s**t they put on the radio that they call "music". Fancy spent 6 weeks at the top of the US charts. ******* FANCY! I COULD WHIP THAT UP IN ONE HOUR ON MY COMPUTER! That is not music, just like anything will.i.am produces these days. They used to be good in the Elephunk days, and now they've just turned into bland boring ******* computer generated noise. And I'm not one of those people who's like "Oh it has to be done with real instruments, **** computers!" No in fact computers and electronic music can be AWESOME, but the way they're utilised by the majority of mainstream artists is just depressing.
Beat you to it ;) And that's the exact same song I was referring to when I was thinking of that. That song is actually worse than Friday, and it was made by "one of the most respected producers going around". * off.

I'm accepting and listen to the majority of all genres. I don't like country, but still respect it. These core bands and the stuff like bangerz or whatever the **** it's called and songs like Fancy are the two exceptions to that rule. No emotion at all, and most of the time it's the same ******* s**t over and over. And the fans worship them as if they were Gods. I have nothing wrong with "screamo", Brand New are one of my favourite bands. But it's just all meaningless and devoid of feeling.

Just to reiterate, that song made it on top of the US charts for 6 weeks. For 6 ******* weeks people thought that was the best song in the country.
Yeah, I'll still listen to almost anything. Like most forms of rock, don't mind some pop with some notable exceptions, love big band music from the 20s/30s/40s, have a computer chock full of 60s/70s/80s stuff. But no tolerance for anything with the 'core' suffix, and somehow all these Fancy songs just go over my head.

You might have gathered that I don't listen to the radio. That's what I'd like to know, who listens to the radio.
This is the one that's doing my head in at the minute.

Why the **** is this song (especially the chorus, please kill me) any less cringe-worthy than the likes of Friday?

For those not game to listen, the chorus is, "It's my birthday, it's my birthday, I'm gonna spend my money." Over and over again.

Get this: I've never listened to Friday. I have a Year 11 pencilcase from 3 years ago with the lyrics scrawled all over it by a particularly spiteful mate, but I scraped through having never heard it. Winning?

I can't wait for timtamWB's thoughts on celebrity culture.
It's bullshit.

There are people who are LITERALLY FAMOUS FOR BEING FAMOUS! The good people don't get famous 99.999999999% of the time because usually, you have to be an arrogant dickhead who loves nothing more than the sound of their own stupid voice and acts like a petulant little twat because you'll get hounded by the media. And then you complain about always being followed by the media. And who do you complain to? THE MEDIA! ******* hypocrites.

And then you have these people who follow these "celebrities'" lives. THEY ARE NOT BETTER THAN YOU, THEY ARE NORMAL PEOPLE! You do not need to know who's ******* who, who's having a baby, who just lost 10 kilos in order to get their bikini body ready!

And that leads me onto the next point, the whole body image debate. The "plus size" models are hardly plus sized, usually they're ******* normal. Why do we have to call them plus sized? It's not empowering bigger women, it's giving women an idea that this is bigger than normal, so they should be thinner than that. * give me a plus sized model over any other one any day. Oh and the whole body image thing, it applies to guys too. We're expected to be glistening with muscles, be 6"5, be able to lift or do ANYTHING, be confident etc. but if guys complain, then we just get laughed at. If girls complain "oh poor you, let me help you".

The world is filled with such hypocritical narcissists in every single aspect of society to the point where being "edgy" doesn't exist, because due to the nature of social media you can find hundreds of other people with the same views as you. You hate Obama? So do millions of other people! You like the Bulldogs? So do thousands of other people! You like to masturbate to images of Hitler while muttering "Mein Fuhrer" under your breath and choking yourself with a belt? So do hundreds of other people! There's no such thing as being original anymore, anything that's original is just a reworking of something else.

I don't even know what I'm on about anymore.

Yeah, I'll still listen to almost anything. Like most forms of rock, don't mind some pop with some notable exceptions, love big band music from the 20s/30s/40s, have a computer chock full of 60s/70s/80s stuff. But no tolerance for anything with the 'core' suffix, and somehow all these Fancy songs just go over my head.

You might have gathered that I don't listen to the radio. That's what I'd like to know, who listens to the radio.

Get this: I've never listened to Friday. I have a Year 11 pencilcase from 3 years ago with the lyrics scrawled all over it by a particularly spiteful mate, but I scraped through having never heard it. Winning?
In my music library I have: Techno, jazz, dubstep, blues, rock, heavy metal, post rock, avant garde, music from pretty much every decade going back to the 1920's, classical, indie, punk, bossa nova and pretty much every other genre you can think of (except polka :(). So I know exactly where you're coming from. Even with some things I'm not a fan of, I understand the appeal. These things I've talked about I just don't.

Nobody listens to the radio :p Honestly, apart from like talkback, who listens to the radio? Especially when you have ipods in cars. More importantly, I want to know who downloads this stuff!

I will force you to listen to it one day. It's not fair that you haven't heard it.

You know what's funny?
People have gone on rants like that for years.
I was the guy going on rants like that 10 years ago.
Popular celebrity culture and music has always sucked.
They just feel like they suck less with time as the good stuff is what's remembered.

In my music library I have: Techno, jazz, dubstep, blues, rock, heavy metal, post rock, avant garde, music from pretty much every decade going back to the 1920's, classical, indie, punk, bossa nova and pretty much every other genre you can think of (except polka :(). So I know exactly where you're coming from. Even with some things I'm not a fan of, I understand the appeal. These things I've talked about I just don't.

Nobody listens to the radio :p Honestly, apart from like talkback, who listens to the radio? Especially when you have ipods in cars. More importantly, I want to know who downloads this stuff!

I will force you to listen to it one day. It's not fair that you haven't heard it.
I'm the same, I listen to pretty much everything and can often respect the things I'm not keen on. I can generally see the appeal, like you, and respect the artists/producers etc for their hard work. However when there is no lyrical depth and the back tracking is electronically-generated white noise (nothing against well-made electronic music), I find it difficult to have any respect for the artists. This image sums up what I hate about popular modern music pretty well:

funny-lyrics-Queen-vs-Beyonce.jpg

You know what's funny?
People have gone on rants like that for years.
I was the guy going on rants like that 10 years ago.
Popular celebrity culture and music has always sucked.
They just feel like they suck less with time as the good stuff is what's remembered.
I do actually know that. But now I can complain about core bands instead of whatever was there 10 years ago! :D

Honestly, you go back to the 60's even, and you look at the charts, and you go "what the * are these songs?" Because a lot of the time the s**t rises to the top at the time, but as we depart further from that time, the cream starts to rise instead. But the main difference now, is the fact that with the internet there's so much more exposure to everything which leads to an over-saturation of popular culture.

I'm the same, I listen to pretty much everything and can often respect the things I'm not keen on. I can generally see the appeal, like you, and respect the artists/producers etc for their hard work. However when there is no lyrical depth and the back tracking is electronically-generated white noise (nothing against well-made electronic music), I find it difficult to have any respect for the artists. This image sums up what I hate about popular modern music pretty well:

Don't make me quote the many times you say the music I listen to is s**t :p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Where do people hear these awful songs? I've never even heard of them.
I would tell you, but then I would have to kill you.

I honestly couldn't agree more. And with that comparison, I mean you go deeper into the music, Run the World is basically just percussion, Bohemian rhapsody is an epic, so many well balanced harmonies using 6ths and 3rds, even building things like major 6 chords (which is fairly uncommon), using purely voices. There are many tempo changes, key changes, beautiful melodic note leading and musicianship throughout the whole song. I would go deeper because I've actually analysed Bohemian Rhapsody, but I'll bore everyone.

I do actually know that. But now I can complain about core bands instead of whatever was there 10 years ago! :D

Honestly, you go back to the 60's even, and you look at the charts, and you go "what the **** are these songs?" Because a lot of the time the s**t rises to the top at the time, but as we depart further from that time, the cream starts to rise instead. But the main difference now, is the fact that with the internet there's so much more exposure to everything which leads to an over-saturation of popular culture.
I do think the internet eggs these things on more. But don't forget that back then, you were pretty much forced to watch and listen to the same thing as everyone else. There were no portable record players, and about three radio stations and two TV channels. Imagine that nowadays. Everyone would know Fancy and that shitty Birthday song.

Hoped somebody would pick up on The Sports reference but never mind :p

If you dare to play that song in front of me I will blind you with a hot spoon.
I haven't listed to random radio in my car for years. My car radio is tuned to SEN and when it's either late and Mark Fine and his bullshit is on or perhaps some horse-racing or fishing segment I switch over to a CD of something from last century. Which happens often enough.
Pretty much what I'll do. Don't listen to a lot of SEN either. Prefer to just plug the iPod in.
That's different, ribbing you is fun. :p I'm not a fan of most of your s**t stuff but I can mostly see the appeal.
Don't make me quote the many times you say the music I listen to is s**t :p
Will the two gentlemen please list their respective favourite bands and let the crowd decide? :p

Will the two gentlemen please list their respective favourite bands and let the crowd decide? :p
Top 2 in order, next 3 are not.

Elvis
Johnny Cash
Queen
The Doors
David Bowie

I do think the internet eggs these things on more. But don't forget that back then, you were pretty much forced to watch and listen to the same thing as everyone else. There were no portable record players, and about three radio stations and two TV channels. Imagine that nowadays. Everyone would know Fancy and that shitty Birthday song.
But with the social media age, we also get the arrogant ones spewing their bullshit all over the place through twitter, facebook, and whatever the hell else is out there. There are pros and cons to every era and we just have to live through them. I can just complain about them. Online. Because Cena won.

I'm listening
You interested in music theory? I can try and do a simpler musical/lyrical analysis if you like, unless you actually understand music theory in which case you can get the whole hog. If I can be bothered :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back