News & Events Non-Football COVID-19 Discussions

Remove this Banner Ad

Say you catch covid and are vaccinated and it doesn't do much to you, but then next year you get it again (you have had you're booster shot) but are perhaps a bit more sick from a variant that stronger, then the following year you get a mild case...and so on. What happens after we have had it 10 times. We will be allowing it to come, and allowing us to get it multiple times. Will there be some sort of damage to our bodies that will eventually catch up with us and make really sick.
No. The immune system doesn't work like that. Think of it like memories. For example - imagine yesterday you ate a really tasty looking jelly bean that was flavoured like a piece of dog s**t and you ate it and thought, "this is really gross I am never doing that again". But then next year you see a piece of dog s**t that looks delicious but that smells really similar to that jelly bean, and you take a really big sniff of it and it makes you a little woozy, but you remember that jelly bean flavoured dog s**t that you ate last year, and decide not to eat it because it was nasty. And then the year after that, you come across another similar piece of dog s**t that looks really tasty, but maybe this one is a different consistency, and so you have a little nibble, but then before you can go any further it triggers the memory of that dogshit flavoured jelly bean that you really didn't like, and you remember that it is a bad idea so you run away from that particular strain of dogshit.

its just like that.

The jelly bean is the vaccine, and covid is the dogshit.

Gawd they’re going on and on and on about the curfew. Who legitimately goes for a one hour walk with one other person, or grocery shopping for the only time in a day, between 9pm and 5am anyway?
Between work and other commitments I'm often out after 9 doing those exact things.

I get the point you're trying to make, but people need to remember that just because these lockdowns don't affect them, it doesn't mean everyone else gets to carry on as usual.

Between work and other commitments I'm often out after 9 doing those exact things.

I get the point you're trying to make, but people need to remember that just because these lockdowns don't affect them, it doesn't mean everyone else gets to carry on as usual.
Obviously it affects some people, but I don’t think it’s anything like a majority unless habits have changed significantly in the last decade.

Certainly not enough to warrant the ridiculous third degree questioning that was a feature of the marathon press conference today, I’d have thought other aspects of the changes were more pertinent than asking people to complete their shopping before 9pm.

I’m sorry if you felt minimised.

Obviously it affects some people, but I don’t think it’s anything like a majority unless habits have changed significantly in the last decade.

Certainly not enough to warrant the ridiculous third degree questioning that was a feature of the marathon press conference today, I’d have thought other aspects of the changes were more pertinent than asking people to complete their shopping before 9pm.

I’m sorry if you felt minimised.
I'm not fussed in the slightest, it's inconvenient but hardly the end of the world. To be honest my criticism is more directed at the commentary as a whole, rather than the focus on the curfew itself. There's too much "well the lockdown doesn't affect me, so everyone else should fall in line."

Conversely there's a lot of "the pandemic doesn't affect me, why all the locking down."

I think a lot of people haven’t really got their heads around that we’re literally living through a monumental global event. On a scale that hasn’t been seen since WWII.

We’ve been blessed to live through about 80 years of pretty peaceful, prosperous times. People have had individual hardships, there’s been things like the GFC, but nothing on this scale that I can think of.

It’s Massive. Enormous. Monumental.

History books will be written about these times. How the world responded, whether it was right or wrong, whether it was hard or easy.

It’s hard on everyone in their own way, everyone is living an abnormal existence. Some things impact others more or less, but no one is enjoying this as a whole time period in their lives.

All we can do is get through as best we can, and know that we will get through, just as society and humanity has through every other thing that’s come at it.

And coming out the other side, we may well see a changed and better world for it.

At least that’s what keeps me positive throughout all this.

I think a lot of people haven’t really got their heads around that we’re literally living through a monumental global event. On a scale that hasn’t been seen since WWII.

We’ve been blessed to live through about 80 years of pretty peaceful, prosperous times. People have had individual hardships, there’s been things like the GFC, but nothing on this scale that I can think of.

History books will be written about these times. How the world responded, whether it was right or wrong, whether it was hard or easy.

It’s hard on everyone in their own way, everyone is living an abnormal existence. Some things impact others more or less, but no one is enjoying this as a whole time period in their lives.

All we can do is get through as best we can, and know that we will get through, just as society and humanity has through every other thing that’s come at it.

And coming out the other side, we may well see a changed and better world for it.

Well said.

We wait patiently til everyone has access to and then given enough time to be fully vaccinated, as well as a high enough % have been vaccinated. Then we party.
Fair enough. I just know quite a few people who are vaccinated who have been totally flattened today and ****ed if I know what to do to bring them outta it.

Fair enough. I just know quite a few people who are vaccinated who have been totally flattened today and f’ed if I know what to do to bring them outta it.
Yep I hear you. Like I mentioned in this thread earlier, similar things with me as well today with people I know. Though many of those struggling today that I know aren't vaccinated. Banging head against a brick wall here reading their messages.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fair enough. I just know quite a few people who are vaccinated who have been totally flattened today and f’ed if I know what to do to bring them outta it.
I'm fully vaccinated so I'll give my perspective.

It's not the extension of lockdown or even the tightened restrictions on playgrounds that get me. I was mentally prepared for that sort of thing and know why it's being done. It's the weariness of yet again feeling like we could lose control of an outbreak here. That even if we do get on top of this ourselves, NSW is such a shitshow that we're only ever a short distance away from another rinse and repeat. It's also the ever louder whining of the libertarian brigade who can only think of themselves. The fact that science is apparently trumped by two-bit morons who know how to sound good on TikTok. It's wanting to keep my daughter safe.

It's just...a grind.

I heard there’s craft beer going wholesale from some of those pubs that can’t sell it - apparently it has a shorter shelf life than that other stuff. Did you manage to get a hold of any?
I did not, might have to look into that. Mind you yodellinhank our favourite Grand Ridge 2 for 100 deal has ensured beer supplies have never been an issue ;).

For a lot of people they weren’t eligible to get a vaccine at all until last week, and a lot more will be waiting for an alternative to AZ – any alternative.

It’s been allowed to fester for months with a complete lack of proper messaging and information… and in that void a steady stream of misinformation coming from people who are abusing their positions of power, never censured.

How the hell we got to this point I don’t know, but I can’t blame people for being in that headspace as a result.

I'm fully vaccinated so I'll give my perspective.

It's not the extension of lockdown or even the tightened restrictions on playgrounds that get me. I was mentally prepared for that sort of thing and know why it's being done. It's the weariness of yet again feeling like we could lose control of an outbreak here. That even if we do get on top of this ourselves, NSW is such a shitshow that we're only ever a short distance away from another rinse and repeat. It's also the ever louder whining of the libertarian brigade who can only think of themselves. The fact that science is apparently trumped by two-bit morons who know how to sound good on TikTok. It's wanting to keep my daughter safe.

It's just...a grind.
I think I hit that wall the day Lockdown 6 was announced. Like it’s never going to end, one lockdown after another: “the light at the end of the tunnel has been switched off”. Spent that weekend isolating, waiting for someone else’s negative test… just depressing :(

In that sense though the fact the numbers have stabilised in Victoria and NSW has finally got a real lockdown has actually helped a bit… That and I got my first dose of the vaccine last week (wasn’t eligible before that) so I feel like I’m doing everything I can and now I just have to be patient.

I still have an unvaccinated parent who works near the hotspots though and that’s legit terrifying… scared of AZ, higher mortality risk due to age and existing health risks, won’t take leave either 😫😫 At some point you have to control the controllables, do your duty, and leave the rest to providence.

Little girls second birthday is in lockdown, just like her first.

She doesn’t understand, so there’s that, but we do, and we’re just heartbroken for her. We want to be able to look back on pictures and show her, and it’s just going to be the four of us at home with a roughly made Baby Shark cake that her dad rustled together.

Little girls second birthday is in lockdown, just like her first.

She doesn’t understand, so there’s that, but we do, and we’re just heartbroken for her. We want to be able to look back on pictures and show her, and it’s just going to be the four of us at home with a roughly made Baby Shark cake that her dad rustled together.

My niece has the same thing, she's got no idea what's going on, but her mum is pretty disheartened to miss celebrating the first two birthdays.

You’re not wrong. Certainly reading about what people in WWII went through helped me a lot with all this s**t. If they were able to make it through those six years then we can make it through these two.

It’s one of those events where kids in the future will get school assignments asking their grandparents what it was like to live through.

You’re not wrong. Certainly reading about what people in WWII went through helped me a lot with all this sh*t. If they were able to make it through those six years then we can make it through these two.

It’s one of those events where kids in the future will get school assignments asking their grandparents what it was like to live through.

I can see it now, it's 2064;

"Grandpa, how was it like to live through coronavirus?"

"Well young lad, it was a strange time. We argued a lot on an internet forum, watched a lot of Netflix on the TV, people didn't want to get a vaccine because they thought they were getting injected with a microchip."

"What's an internet forum? What's a TV? Didn't people always have microchips injected?"

You’re not wrong. Certainly reading about what people in WWII went through helped me a lot with all this sh*t. If they were able to make it through those six years then we can make it through these two.

I mean post WW2 in the UK they still felt the effects of rationing into the fifties yeah?

I can see it now, it's 2064;

"Grandpa, how was it like to live through coronavirus?"

"Well young lad, it was a strange time. We argued a lot on an internet forum, watched a lot of Netflix on the TV, people didn't want to get a vaccine because they thought they were getting injected with a microchip."

"What's an internet forum? What's a TV? Didn't people always have microchips injected?"
Do you think the NBN will be up and running by then?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back