News & Events Non-Football COVID-19 Discussions

Remove this Banner Ad

Say you catch covid and are vaccinated and it doesn't do much to you, but then next year you get it again (you have had you're booster shot) but are perhaps a bit more sick from a variant that stronger, then the following year you get a mild case...and so on. What happens after we have had it 10 times. We will be allowing it to come, and allowing us to get it multiple times. Will there be some sort of damage to our bodies that will eventually catch up with us and make really sick.
No. The immune system doesn't work like that. Think of it like memories. For example - imagine yesterday you ate a really tasty looking jelly bean that was flavoured like a piece of dog s**t and you ate it and thought, "this is really gross I am never doing that again". But then next year you see a piece of dog s**t that looks delicious but that smells really similar to that jelly bean, and you take a really big sniff of it and it makes you a little woozy, but you remember that jelly bean flavoured dog s**t that you ate last year, and decide not to eat it because it was nasty. And then the year after that, you come across another similar piece of dog s**t that looks really tasty, but maybe this one is a different consistency, and so you have a little nibble, but then before you can go any further it triggers the memory of that dogshit flavoured jelly bean that you really didn't like, and you remember that it is a bad idea so you run away from that particular strain of dogshit.

its just like that.

The jelly bean is the vaccine, and covid is the dogshit.

Stumbled across this page on the TGA website and thought it was interesting:

It has information about the vaccine approval process and status of each vaccine available or not yet available in Australia, as well as quality assurance info, consumer medicine information (CMI) documents for each of the vaccines... which is basically a less pretty version of the government form you have to sign to get your immunisation, tells you all about the side effects, ingredients, etc.

Provisionally approved COVID anti-viral medication;

Batch test on Polish import of Pfizer:

The graph below is *only* the vaccines administered by the Victorian government... not the ones administered by GPs/"private care providers" via the federal government scheme:

Screen Shot 2021-08-17 at 19.05.48.png

Interactive version here: https://www.coronavirus.vic.gov.au/weekly-covid-19-vaccine-data#vaccine-doses-since-february

Timeline for availability, as best I can cobble it together from various government sources:
  • State-run vaccination hubs opened on 29th of April.
  • 50-69 became eligible for AZ on the 3rd of May, and have therefore been eligible for their second doses starting 26th of July (12-week interval).
  • 50-59 became eligible for Pfizer on the 17th of June, and have therefore been eligible for their second doses starting 8th of July (3-week interval).
  • 40-49 became eligible for Pfizer on the 28th of May, they should be eligible for second doses starting 18th of June (3-week interval).
  • 18-39 became eligible for AZ on the 9th of August (consult your doctor etc etc) – they should be eligible for second doses starting 1st of November (12-week interval).
The 6-week interval for Pfizer started on the 1st of August in Victoria but only for new appointments, plus the uptake was also influenced by availability and so it took a while for people who were eligible to actually get an appointment.

The interval for AZ is, as best I can tell, still 12 weeks unless you're in Greater Sydney. That should mean that a huge proportion of our population (the 18-39 group) won't get their second dose until right before we're apparently supposed to start opening up in mid-November? They won't have full efficacy until a couple of weeks after that (if they all got it ASAP and get the second dose at exactly 12 weeks).

And then there's the 16-17 year olds, who can't have AZ and can't get Pfizer, and all the under 16s who might get Moderna..?

If they want to double dose everyone before November then all AZ doses have to be done in the next week, anything after that has to have a different vaccine and/or a shorter interval between doses.

Screen Shot 2021-08-17 at 18.55.07.png

The other thing that's interesting is the geographical breakdown. The regions have a higher number of people vaccinated – not sure if the population out there is older which might explain it, but the greater Melbourne areas are closer to 40% than 60%.

Screen Shot 2021-08-17 at 21.23.24.png

Little girls second birthday is in lockdown, just like her first.

She doesn’t understand, so there’s that, but we do, and we’re just heartbroken for her. We want to be able to look back on pictures and show her, and it’s just going to be the four of us at home with a roughly made Baby Shark cake that her dad rustled together.

Probably no consolation but I think it’s the birthday cakes they remember. And a dad rustled together baby shark cake sounds like great memories and big love to me.
I cannot bake so always got my kids a fancy bought cake. They asked for home made cakes but thought they’d be ashamed of my attempt. Then a couple years ago I finally did a smashed together cake of Murphy the cat. It looked pretty amateur (read:crap). But the daughter loved it, no one else saw amateur hour baking. It is still talked about. That cake meant more to her than the forgotten parties or Fergusson plarres finest.

Even if you could do a big party Your baby shark cake is what will be remembered, because that’s where the love is.

Probably no consolation but I think it’s the birthday cakes they remember. And a dad rustled together baby shark cake sounds like great memories and big love to me.
I cannot bake so always got my kids a fancy bought cake. They asked for home made cakes but thought they’d be ashamed of my attempt. Then a couple years ago I finally did a smashed together cake of Murphy the cat. It looked pretty amateur (read:crap). But the daughter loved it, no one else saw amateur hour baking. It is still talked about. That cake meant more to her than the forgotten parties or Fergusson plarres finest.

Even if you could do a big party Your baby shark cake is what will be remembered, because that’s where the love is.
When I was a kid that ever present women’s weekly birthday cake book was a must for all the kids parties.

I don’t know when we suddenly started having store bought cakes with fancy toppers, sugar-work and interesting flavour combinations, but the ones I best remember were the relatively simple ones friends and family made from that book… the yellow duck with a potato chip beak, the train full of smarties, the football field of green dyed coconut, etc.

When I was a kid that ever present women’s weekly birthday cake book was a must for all the kids parties.

I don’t know when we suddenly started having store bought cakes with fancy toppers, sugar-work and interesting flavour combinations, but the ones I best remember were the relatively simple ones friends and family made from that book… the yellow duck with a potato chip beak, the train full of smarties, the football field of green dyed coconut, etc.
One of the all time great cookbooks. And a booked I looked at a lot as a kid! The smartie train was always the one I wanted. There was also a pool filled with jelly and a really weird one with a kewpie doll in a cake skirt. A bit creepy toilet paper holder. Very 70s.
Anyway, yes, at some point, pricey indoor skydiving parties took over from pin the tail on the donkey and fancy food left cheezels and fairy bread for dead. I can see how time poor parent guilt and peer pressure can do this. I don’t think kids are happier for it. Maybe covid will help bring things back.

One of the all time great cookbooks. And a booked I looked at a lot as a kid! The smartie train was always the one I wanted. There was also a pool filled with jelly and a really weird one with a kewpie doll in a cake skirt. A bit creepy toilet paper holder. Very 70s.
Anyway, yes, at some point, pricey indoor skydiving parties took over from pin the tail on the donkey and fancy food left cheezels and fairy bread for dead. I can see how time poor parent guilt and peer pressure can do this. I don’t think kids are happier for it. Maybe covid will help bring things back.
I had a dolly in a cake skirt when I turned 5 😂 I was pretty disappointed to find out she had no legs hahaha I don’t think I saw a dolly toilet cover thing until about 10 years ago, but they certainly are a bit too similar for comfort 🤪 and the pool cake, my brother had that one year but his birthday is in summer and the jelly melted 😂 it had sand too, but idk how that was achieved. Might’ve been dyed caster sugar. Another year I swear to god he had a tip truck that was held up by wooden skewers. Also the number cakes were pretty common, and pretty easy actually. Just a slab cake and cut according to the instructions.

I had a dolly in a cake skirt when I turned 5 😂 I was pretty disappointed to find out she had no legs hahaha I don’t think I saw a dolly toilet cover thing until about 10 years ago, but they certainly are a bit too similar for comfort 🤪 and the pool cake, my brother had that one year but his birthday is in summer and the jelly melted 😂 it had sand too, but idk how that was achieved. Might’ve been dyed caster sugar. Another year I swear to god he had a tip truck that was held up by wooden skewers. Also the number cakes were pretty common, and pretty easy actually. Just a slab cake and cut according to the instructions.

Sand could be crushed biccies like Arrowroot? Goofy DIY cakes were the best. Far out, when this is over can we hold a BF bombers board kids party? I'll bring fairy bread...

Sand could be crushed biccies like Arrowroot? Goofy DIY cakes were the best.
I don't think it was biscuit crumbs, although that would work. Possibly jelly crystals. 🤔

Far out, when this is over can we hold a BF bombers board kids party? I'll bring fairy bread...
I think Doss is the guy to organise that sort of meet up :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

57 in Victoria… but 44 fully isolated and mostly the result of Day 13 testing of close contacts. Phew

Still a steady trickle of mystery cases however.
Id hope that we maybe don't get any further of those past this week.

I think that's mostly the unlinked St Kilda cluster isn't it?

Yeah I'm unsure I'm not across the full breakdown of numbers as I havnt followed it the last couple days.

Jeepers. We seem to have gone through the looking glass.

The Premier [of Western Australia, Mark McGowan] said he extended his 'deepest sympathies' to NSW residents, and that the state had deployed a senior health official to help in Western NSW, allocated WA's full contact tracing team to assist, and could help assist with bail-out packages.

"Because we've been COVID free, we've kept all our industries operating, therefore generating enormous revenue that can go to assist the people and government of New South Wales with the bail-out packages the Commonwealth is putting into that state," he said.

thx to Beerfish Andronicus and our other West Aussies for bailing out essentially the entire country.

Jeepers. We seem to have gone through the looking glass.

thx to Beerfish Andronicus and our other West Aussies for bailing out essentially the entire country.
And he isn't wrong.

Lets hope they have everyone vax'd in WA by Nov

Remove this Banner Ad

Back