Non-reactionary 'drop Martin' thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

The only thing I'm upset about atm is that Martin seems to be used more as a Forward then as a Midfielder, maybe they are protecting him from an injury I have no idea, but his kicking on both his preferred and non preferred has dropped badly.

Seems like most are pretty against dropping Martin. And that's fair enough but it would be great to drop him IF he was going to turn around his form and become a genuine threat to the opposition instead of an average contributor. Maybe it's an attitude thing, maybe not.. but if dropping Steve Johnson, Nick Dal Santo previously by coaches got the best out of them I dont see how Martin is above being dropped. We need to be careful that we are not playing guys who "should" be dropped for the sake of winning games. Isn't that the trap of old? Shouldn't we continue to do whats best for the club and continue to move forward without trying to stumble over the line in games atm. Maybe a message has to be sent.

Seems like most are pretty against dropping Martin. And that's fair enough but it would be great to drop him IF he was going to turn around his form and become a genuine threat to the opposition instead of an average contributor. Maybe it's an attitude thing, maybe not.. but if dropping Steve Johnson, Nick Dal Santo previously by coaches got the best out of them I dont see how Martin is above being dropped. We need to be careful that we are not playing guys who "should" be dropped for the sake of winning games. Isn't that the trap of old? Shouldn't we continue to do whats best for the club and continue to move forward without trying to stumble over the line in games atm. Maybe a message has to be sent.

Do you really think that he "should" be dropped? Is his form that bad, or is it just lower than the expectations you have for Martin?

That's exactly the issue, people have such high expectations of Dusty that when he starts performing like a good second tier mid he's 'underperforming'. He's still doing well statistically. If it were any other 3rd year player we would think him to be tracking nicely!

We need to be careful that we are not playing guys who "should" be dropped for the sake of winning games. Isn't that the trap of old? Shouldn't we continue to do whats best for the club and continue to move forward without trying to stumble over the line in games atm. Maybe a message has to be sent.
We already are with Vickery.

Do you really think that he "should" be dropped? Is his form that bad, or is it just lower than the expectations you have for Martin?

Nah sorry I didnt express myself that well there. I said earlier in this thread that I dont know about dropping him, probably not. I dont think he has been anywhere near our bottom few players so therefore not droppable in preference to other players getting games, but as you ask, "is it just lower than the expectations you have for Martin?". Frankly yes it is, he has been much lower than I expected. It's impossible to tell what affect dropping him could have. If he was going to play 10 cracking games on the back of being dropped I would say drop him ASAP...but obviously it doesnt work like that. If he isnt working as hard as he could or should be then he could use a good dropping, despite his performances being higher than others due to his talent. Like I said, Stevey J and NDS probably were never the worst on the park when they got dropped but they were dropped for a reason and it benefited the team in the long run. We dont want players thinking or knowing that they are a walk up start each week if that's going to reduce their work ethic. Just a thought. If I had a crystal ball i'd be a lot more definitive on this topic. Whatever is the best way to get him to play close to his potential is what we should do! :)

We already are with Vickery.

Very true. But as far as Dimma is concerned he is actually working quite hard and getting to the right spots. He like most big guys need time to learn their craft. Having said that, I have been to few games this year unfortunately due toooo many bloody Saturday games so that is lost to me via the TV. On what I'v seen from just the TV i'd be pretty happy to have him dropped too if it was going to benefit him and the team. They seem to know what they are doing but Id honestly let someone far less talented like McGuane go up forward and try and clunk a few grabs because I know how hard he works, even if the side is slightly worse and we lose the game. Ty isn't going to necessarily develop from his time in the 2s itself but it sends a good msg to him and the whole team. You will flog your guts out for the yellow and black and you will get a game before guys who arent willing to work as hard.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back