NOW to sometime later in the year (maybe) - Talk about anything

Remove this Banner Ad

Cranbourne will be next to ask. MPFNL/Sorrento enjoy their yearly application and laugh at it down the Conti

looks like Norwood/berwick bottom 2. Head to head games vital, Maybe whitmore pulls a sickie from the VFL to play in these ones

Cranbourne belong in the Southern league and should stay there.

As do Berwick and Beaconsfield, but anyway

Looks like the U19 fixtures are starting to come in.

Premier has a full 10-team comp which is good

From the team names in Premier and D4, these clubs might have two teams (they've got colours in their names)

Berwick
Blackburn
Ferntree Gully
Mitcham
South Belgrave
Vermont
Wantirna South

If Blackburn / Mitcham / Vermont have two teams and Whitehorse / Forest Hill / Nunawading have none... then there's something obviously out of whack. The league should be working on this. It's not in their interests, unless they want more clubs to disappear and D4 to be under threat. It's already only 7 clubs.

Same with Wantirna South and Knox.

Don't wait for things to break.

From the team names in Premier and D4, these clubs might have two teams (they've got colours in their names)

Berwick
Blackburn
Ferntree Gully
Mitcham
South Belgrave
Vermont
Wantirna South

If Blackburn / Mitcham / Vermont have two teams and Whitehorse / Forest Hill / Nunawading have none... then there's something obviously out of whack. The league should be working on this. It's not in their interests, unless they want more clubs to disappear and D4 to be under threat. It's already only 7 clubs.

Put the work into your junior programs which is where it all starts,how good for football as a code Vermont/Blackburn and Mitcham so close to each other 2 under 19 sides.But fully understand where you are coming from with clubs like Nunawading,how do you help them in getting a U19 side.Starts at the bottom, Aus kick,get a good program going and I think they had one going last year.

Last edited:

Berwick
Blackburn
Ferntree Gully
Mitcham
South Belgrave
Vermont
Wantirna South

Bunk

Blackburn and Vermont the 2 biggest junior clubs in the efl. 2 sides coming out of 17.5 - where do they all go? Let them play 19s together then they move on - off the top of my head there is ex burner juniors at forest hill nunawading heathmont east burwood surrey and potentially Whitehorse as well as plenty at whitefriars and other ammo schoolboy clubs

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Bunk

Blackburn and Vermont the 2 biggest junior clubs in the efl. 2 sides coming out of 17.5 - where do they all go? Let them play 19s together then they move on - off the top of my head there is ex burner juniors at forest hill nunawading heathmont east burwood surrey and potentially Whitehorse as well as plenty at whitefriars and other ammo schoolboy clubs

Well that’s for the league to work out… but the future of the league will be better served if there’s some way that these kids are spread around so that more clubs have U19s rather than the club up the road having two teams. It can only lead to stronger senior clubs which is the big aim.

It’s not going to hurt the bigger club… if a kid can’t get a start in your best Under 19 team then he’s never going to be a senior footballer for you.

Also both Blackburn and Vermont are active recruiters of external kids at U17 and U19 level - so let’s not get too caught up with “where do they all go” - start by not bringing them all in.

I guess it gets back to whether they consider U19s a senior or junior grade. The EFNL seem to treat it like a junior grade… personally I reckon it’s better treated like seniors, if kids are any good at 18 they should be aiming for senior footy.

Bunk

And there are kids from just about any junior club within Coo-ee, who are now at Blackburn and Vermont!

Even if there was a small alignment which saw them play home games at Nunawading and Forest Hill with a view to the future

If you have a second 19s team, my view would be…

• They train with you obviously
  • The play under your name in your jumper

But

• You form an alignment with the closest club without 19s
  • You play in their U19 fixture spot (times and locations)

But

My club is in the fortunate position of looking to having two .19’s teams this season and the closest club to us without .19’s looks to be in our division so under your proposal which by the way I applaud as the more young blokes playing the better for all we could end up playing against our own team which in some peoples eyes would be open to manipulation. By the way there looks like there will be a reasonable gap between the two sides with the second team consisting of mostly first year .19’s 😊

My club is in the fortunate position of looking to having two .19’s teams this season and the closest club to us without .19’s looks to be in our division so under your proposal which by the way I applaud as the more young blokes playing the better for all we could end up playing against our own team which in some peoples eyes would be open to manipulation. By the way there looks like there will be a reasonable gap between the two sides with the second team consisting of mostly first year .19’s 😊

Yeah that's an interesting one, we probably don't want clubs playing against each other. So would have to be a different division.

Thinking about it too... perhaps your second U19 team plays its home games at your own ground, but for away games it mirrors another senior club. That way the opposition aren't put out when they're at home and get three games.

Yeah that's an interesting one, we probably don't want clubs playing against each other. So would have to be a different division.

Thinking about it too... perhaps your second U19 team plays its home games at your own ground, but for away games it mirrors another senior club. That way the opposition aren't put out when they're at home and get three games.

We have two grounds which means we could host both games on the same day at home and then split for away games this makes the logistics a little easier but to complicate things women’s home games are pencilled in for 1040am Saturday mornings. Not easy but we are grateful for being able to host some many young people play footy. 😊

We have two grounds which means we could host both games on the same day at home and then split for away games this makes the logistics a little easier but to complicate things women’s home games are pencilled in for 1040am Saturday mornings. Not easy but we are grateful for being able to host some many young people play footy. 😊

Good to see Ferntree Gully having two under 19 teams. My question is why has their strong junior program never seem to transition into strong senior sides. Ferntree Gully has always been a well run club but they seem to ebb and flow on field. Show lots of promise and then drop away. When you look at them, they should be in a higher division but that never seems to even look remotely possible. Upper always seems to be the one that wins flags and goes into higher divisions although at this time their situation is more perilous than many other clubs as they are struggling.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Didnt they lose a heap of 19s one year when during preseason there was an incident with a player and a coach's daughter ?

Said player and a heap of his mates went to Mitcham from memory who were struggling for numbers but it helped them put a side on the park

Last edited:
Didnt they lose a heap of 19s one year when during preseason there was an incident with a player and a coach's daughter ?

Said player and a heap of his mates went to Mitcham from memory who were struggling for numbers but it helped them put a side on the park
Check with your sis. ;)

Berwick
Blackburn
Ferntree Gully
Mitcham
South Belgrave
Vermont
Wantirna South

You do need someone behind the scenes working on a school or a junior club establishing a pathway. Very tough without. Whitehorse have a junior club, not sure how well linked they are. Just saw on the YJFL page instead of u15's then u17s (colts) like it used to be, its moved to u15, wu16's then "youth" u18's. Maybe they all piss off after this.

Forest Hill also have juniors so someone has to be down there putting in work, a player coaching one of the sides or something like that.

Nunawading are just going to battle to get two sides up each year paying peanuts to mercenaries until the money runs out. Sad, but true. The same thing will eventually happen to Croydon North/MLOC without a player pathway

Sorry for the doom and gloom, cricket clubs in the ringwood and district league are facing the same crisis. North ringwood have 6+ auskick type programs while other sides have none.

You do need someone behind the scenes working on a school or a junior club establishing a pathway. Very tough without. Whitehorse have a junior club, not sure how well linked they are. Just saw on the YJFL page instead of u15's then u17s (colts) like it used to be, its moved to u15, wu16's then "youth" u18's. Maybe they all piss off after this.

Forest Hill also have juniors so someone has to be down there putting in work, a player coaching one of the sides or something like that.

Nunawading are just going to battle to get two sides up each year paying peanuts to mercenaries until the money runs out. Sad, but true. The same thing will eventually happen to Croydon North/MLOC without a player pathway

Sorry for the doom and gloom, cricket clubs in the ringwood and district league are facing the same crisis. North ringwood have 6+ auskick type programs while other sides have none.

Hence I think more direction is needed centrally from the league to even things out.

It all ends up at senior footy and what purpose does it serve anybody when one club has enough for three or four teams, while another can’t field two?

The result it just another club gone.

Unless we want to end up with clubs having two senior teams. And / or two reserves teams. Manipulating who they move between them and manipulating the results in two divisions.

Of course the bigger clubs will complain that “we’ve done all the hard work, why should we lose them” etc. That may well be true.*

But we need to balance out numbers if there are to be senior clubs.

Their reward can simply be the bigger their playing numbers, the bigger choice of the quality they get.

At some stage you have to peel them apart and down to one team per club. The EFNL seem to think Reserves is the time to do that. I reckon it’d be better done at U19 level. That’s the switch, junior club to senior club, Sunday to Saturday. I mean the thirds comp is now Under 19.5. Not long ago it was Under 18. I think they can handle the reality of senior footy and that’s not everybody you played Under 11s with can still play at the club.

* Something I also recognise is this “we’ve worked harder” attitude is, often, simply not true. Because success is not usually about working harder, it’s about playing things smart. There’s been an increase in professionalism at local level and that’s often just a case of a club having well credentialed, skilled people who know how to plan things properly, build and maintain networks, budget and increase revenue, set long-term strategies and follow them through.

They’re not necessarily working harder, they just have these skills from their day jobs and careers and have wisely implemented them at a footy club. And usually, those people walk through the club’s door by sheer dumb luck. Their kid plays there, etc.

Somebody at Vermont will tell you they work hard. And they do. But nobody will ever convince me they’re working harder than the crew at a Division 4 club. They’re not. In fact, they probably have more hands because people love to attach themselves to a successful outfit.

They were just very, very fortunate to have the right people walk through the door many years ago.

Somebody at Vermont will tell you they work hard. And they do. But nobody will ever convince me they’re working harder than the crew at a Division 4 club. They’re not. In fact, they probably have more hands because people love to attach themselves to a successful outfit.

They were just very, very fortunate to have the right people walk through the door many years ago.
Lee Bidstrup

Lilydale had a hitout against Whitefriars with 10 players or so away at a Wedding

Reserves lost by a few goals and Seniors romped it in by 15 goals or so

Decent deck there

Walker Park the home of Mitcham Cricket and Football Club.As a member of both clubs I am so proud of where we were and now where we are at especially off field.Awesome ground for cricket and football finals and what pleases me so much is a football and cricket club working together to make this happen.MCG of the East guys remembering they do play at the Mitcham CC ground (Micham Cricket Ground)The cricket club have now a new electronic scoreboard next to the Dunlavin Tennis Courts and if all goes to plan both old MFC and MCC will be used senior football games.
What happened with the bin fire the other day?

What happened with the bin fire the other day?
Did not know about that one but a couple of months ago a similar thing happened.I presume a rubbish truck had a fire in the back and they dumped the load on Dunlavin Road side and called the fire brigade.

Now lets talk about the real stuff BHRDCA cricket.Plenty of rumours around that Heatherdale,Vermont and even Blackiurn (Hansie) might be moving on and joining the RDCA.Sad to see cricket wise East Burwood,Blackburn North,East Box Hill and even Forest Hill struggling to field senior sides in the top grades and again no juniors is the main problem.

Really important football and cricket clubs as joint tenants work together to help each other senior /junior clubs.We have this at Mitcham ,I think Blackburn Vermont the same but for clubs like East Burwood FC with a senior cricket struggling not so.A Blackburn North Cricket Club joint tenant NunawadinGg Football Club. and both clubs no juniors.

Last edited:
Bunk

Jeez, rest assured there are a hell of a lot more Surrey kids who've made their way to Morton Park than there are Burners kids at Surrey

But

You can only field a 2nd 19s team if there's a club that isn't, and you do take their spot / play their fixture. Same as if you want your 19s to play in a higher division - there has to be a spot available in that division

Remove this Banner Ad

Back