Nth Ballarat v Box Hill Sat 21 May 2pm @ Nth Ballarat

Remove this Banner Ad

Going on the info on another thread, Lisle played today, no mention of Ladson - assume he travelled with team.

Nth Ballarat Vs Box Hill Hawks
It was a fine Saturday afternoon with a chill breeze blowing across the ground. It would mean that skills and goal kicking would be affected. After the two hour drive down to Eureka Stadium I sat down saw the last part of the reserves game. I saw Langford rucking for about the 5 minutes till the end of the game and the reserves team pulling away for good win. They really do have a winning culture and have some good talent in the side.

The Boys for the main game came out for their warm ups as usual but there was no indication of what was to happen as they lined up for the first bounce. Lisle and Paul Johnson lined up in defence and Bouman who has played defence all year lined up at full forward.

Box hill dominated the game in the first as they were kicking with the breeze. However they didn’t take advantage of this dominance especially going forward. The last kick going into the forward line was always disappointing either missing the target or hitting the deck. When NB went forward with their run and carry they caught out our defence who were still trying to organize themselves with the different personnel. NB looked slick and their minimal inside 50s were getting results it looked ominous for the second qtr if things stayed the same.

Hoegal and Wanganeen looked dangerous up forward and captain Sammy Gibson, Kiel, Andrews were getting a lot of the ball. I also thought in that qtr young Duryea did some nice things including providing drive of that half back line. Mirra was great as usual. Unfortunately we were dominated in the ruck with both Pattison and Lowden lowering the colours in the first Lowden still learning the caper dropped what he should have taken in the forward line. It was hard to read what value PJ was providing in the backline.

The Second Qtr was upon us and the alarm bells were already ringing with NB going to the forward 50 a lot more often and the only thing keeping us in it was their inaccurate kicking which they rectified as the qtr wore on and kicked goals with ease. Lisle, Cheney and our backline were the victims of very poor pressure up field. Schneider was having a relatively quiet game and young and ellis had hardly been sighted. Young was at least trying to lift his work rate and laid a great tackle in that 2nd qtr. Something had to change Boumann had to be moved back to defence.

Lisle was fine when the ball was bombed in and he was able to use his judgement to either mark it or provide a contest but was found wanting when his opponent was on the lead. It’s hard to blame Lisle as the ball was coming with little or no pressure. The 2nd qtr was not good enough from the boys and there was soul searching to do at half time. Hopefully they could provide a contest for the second half.

The second half began with NB kicking the first couple and it looked for all money that it was going to be a very disappointing day. However suddenly box hill got a goal against the flow and then another one and the belief was back somehow box hill lifted all over the ground and Cheney who struggled with the onslaught in the first half was playing a great 3rd qtr. Young and Ellis and Schneider lifted and along with Gibson and Sierakowski proceeded to regain center square dominance. Hoegal and Wanganeen were providing plenty of headaches up forward. Wanganeen looks to be a keeper. He is quick and knows where the goals are but most of all he can tackle. The tackling and pressure on NB increased as did the intensity at the contest. NB were found wanting. It’s like they had used up all their petrol tickets similar to Port Adelaide in that last qtr against the hawks. This analogy however would do a great disservice to the way the boys had lifted all over the ground chasing and harassing and it brought them back into the game at 3 qtr time. It was going to be a great last qtr.

The last qtr started with Box Hill getting the first goal. NB to their credit with box hill tail up responded and answered. Young
and ellis were playing a much better second half. In fact Young was probably in our best. But it is astonishing to see them fumble the ball and slip over so often. Especially Young he did that quite a lot and snuffed a chance of a goal in the last. Our skill in the last also let us down we were dominating the game but just could not put it on the scoreboard. NB went forward a couple of times and showed us how to put paid to the game. To their credit Box Hill ran out the game.

Best Players IMO Gibson, Young, Hoegal, Wanganeen, Cheney and Sierakowski who grew on the game much the same as young did. Hoegal and Wanganeen purely and simply for what they provided up forward. Might I reiterate Wanganeen is exciting.

Final word on the game is I feel we lost it tactically. it was a game we should have won. We messed with our structures early and let NB get the jump on us. When we returned to basics we played much better even though lisle was still playing in the backline. Look forward to next week and getting a few players back.

Interesting - was Box Hill instructed to play Moose in defence or was it off their own initiative to play him there to cover Schoenmakers' selection in the senior team? But then why play Boumann at full forward?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great write up PPPP.

Interesting that we botched the kick into the forwardline in the first q. Exactly what we did V the aints. Every team seems to drop an extra defender on us and it seems to take us one quarter to react.

How good it Sirra? He has improved every year and he will come close to getting a run in the AFL this year.

I assume Grimley was in the twos. I cannot understand what is going on with him. Playing PJ as a KPD is a profound waste of time. I would love to see Grimley playing that role as a tall KPD.

Great write up PPPP.

Interesting that we botched the kick into the forwardline in the first q. Exactly what we did V the aints. Every team seems to drop an extra defender on us and it seems to take us one quarter to react.

How good it Sirra? He has improved every year and he will come close to getting a run in the AFL this year.

I assume Grimley was in the twos. I cannot understand what is going on with him. Playing PJ as a KPD is a profound waste of time. I would love to see Grimley playing that role as a tall KPD.
FT, Grimley is injured at the moment and did not play this weekend

Slim pickings at Box Hill these days without Breust, Bailey, Puopolo, Smith and co!!

Great write up 4P.

Wanganeen sounds very promising which is great. One to watch.

Sierakowski is coming along beautifully from all reports.

Schneider also catching the eye of a few but appears to need a couple of preseasons to get his body into AFL shape.

The rest...doesn't appear to be a whole heap to get excited about other than Lowden, Langers and Grimley who as FT said above you would hope plays some VFL 1s footy this year.

Assume it is Jordan Williams named in the best in the 2's. Not good for his career not being able to hold down a spot in the VFL ones at this stage. I thought he showed a bit in the NAB cup to suggest he might be pushing for a game this year at AFL level but then in the secretitive practice match against Coburg (I think it was) at Waverley he could not get near it and sounds like this is where he still is at.

Thanks TFP for heading down and writing up a great report.

Disappointing result in the end- but footy is about being switched on the whole game- something to work on next week. Go Box Hill!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back