Number 40 - Matthew DeBoer (Pick 19 2008 RD)

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 20, 2008
Geelong
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Sacramento Kings
Pick 19 Matthew DeBoer
DOB:
10/3/90
Height: 187cm
Weight: 85kg
Club: Claremont/Swanbourne JFC

A medium midfielder who is strong overhead and a prolific ball-winner, DeBoer runs hard for his team and is courageous in his attack on the ball. A WA under-18 representative in 2008, winning All-Australian honours. From Swanbourne JFC

2008 WAFL stats - http://www.sportingpulse.com/team_info.cgi...ews_task=DETAIL
AFL.com video - http://afl.com.au/News/NEWSARTICLE/tabid/2...px?newsId=62650
2008 Championship highlights - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grI6bU3tzJs
2007 Championship highlights - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzClQTB51gY

Re: Number TBA - Matthew DeBoer (Pick 19 RD)

[/B]
Matthew_DeBoer_Draft_246a.jpg

More YT:

[YOUTUBE]iWzx82_3wGQ[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]9y-G6MNPOjk[/YOUTUBE]

BF Threads on DeBoer:

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=521726
http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=396400

AFL.com.au

Date of birth: 10/3/90
Height: 187cm
Weight: 85kg
Club: Claremont/Swanbourne JFC

Bio: A medium midfielder who is strong overhead and a prolific ball-winner, DeBoer runs hard for his team and is courageous in his attack on the ball. A WA under-18 representative in 2008, winning All-Australian honours. From Swanbourne JFC.

Jason McCartney says: Matty just accumulates lots of the footy. He probably lacked a bit of penetration in his kicking early on, but he's got a great attitude and he's worked his backside off to address that. I think it's a good sign when you've got a guy who is willing to do some hard work to make a change. Matt has a high work-rate on the field, has really good endurance and is really good at the clearances; he's just constantly winning the footy.

Stats:

NAB AFL Under 18 Championships
Code:
Team Mt K HB D M HO T G 
W.A. 5 12.0 8.2 20.2 5.0 0.2 1.6 0.2

Draft Camp highlights:
=2nd repeat sprints (six x 30m sprints) 24.97sec
8th 3km time trial 10min 53sec
=9th 20m sprint 2.92sec

In his own words

What sort of player are you?
I play a lot on the wing, both in the [NAB AFL under-18] championships and for my club side, Claremont. I pride myself on being really competitive.

Strengths?
I’m pretty competitive. I hate losing, so I try doing anything to prevent that.

Weaknesses?
Probably my consistency through a whole game, and also my kicking – more distance and penetration.

Which AFL team do you support?
The Eagles.

Which AFL player do you feel you most resemble?
I used to crave being like James Hird, just because he could turn a game, but I don’t think I play like him or anything. I guess if I had to choose someone I’d probably say Daniel Cross or someone like that.
Matthew DeBoer
DOB: 10/3/90
State league: WA
Club: Claremont
JM: Matty chose not to nominate for the draft last year and he just accumulates lots of the footy. He probably lacked a bit of penetration in his kicking early on, but he's got a great attitude and he's worked his backside off to address that. I think it's a good sign when you've got a guy who is willing to do some hard work to make a change.
Matt has a high work-rate on the field, has really good endurance and is really good at the clearances; he's just constantly winning the footy.
Foj1:

Pick 37 Fremantle- Matthew Deboer
The Dockers get a big bodied hard at it midfielder who also has very strong personal qualities by all accounts. His kicking isn’t A1 but I don’t think it is as bad as what some would have you believe and besides he will have plenty of good players to feed the ball to. I think Deboer would be a nice fit at Freo and is the sort of player who Harvey would
go for.

18. Matthew Deboer 187cm 85kg WA

Solidly built son of a gun who attacks contests hard and gets a fair amount of footy. Chose to not nominate for last years draft though it wont hurt him like it did Arrowsmith. Deboer has a good tank though I haven’t seen him use express pace which will make his testing results interesting reading. Reputedly very solid citizen off the ground and possesses genuine leadership qualities.
Tarquin:
Pick 36 West Coast- Matthew Deboer
Strong midfielder, he has some great attributes with his running and athleticism. As most people know by now he has question marks over his kicking. I think it is a slight BF beat up, and selection 36 is not paying over the odds for this ball winner.
Snoop Dog:
# 39 Geelong – Matthew De Boer (Claremont / 183 / 77)

Collingwood apparently pleaded with this kid to nominate last year but for school reasons he chose not. Very competitive footballer who was a standout in 07 and as a bottom ager was likely to have gone around 25 if he had been there. Probably hasn’t come on as well this year but still played for WA and was a good performer. Runs hard from HB and the midfield and usually uses it ok – although this year I have heard much more negative feedback about his skills. I can only go on what I have seen over a couple of years is good without being outstanding. Good at the clearances and tends to set up play pretty well. Ferocious tackler and wouldn’t be surprised if the Pies were still keen.
48 – ST KILDA – MATTHEW DEBOER
Claremont, WA, Medium midfielder, March 10, 1990, 186.7cm, 83kg
(Draft range: 37-not selected)

DeBoer is a 50/50 chance despite an outstanding year for a player of his age. Again, he could be close to the top 30 or taken as a rookie. Collingwood, Fremantle and North Melbourne have all been linked.

TBU profile:

http://wadraftprofiles.blogspot.com/2008/11/matthew-deboer-claremont.html

diehardfooty profile:
http://diehardfooty.com/matthew-deboer-2008-afl-draftee-profile

ant555:

Matt Deboer – 187cm, 85kg – Claremont.
Solidly built midfielder who has had two pretty good champ series. Finds a lot of the ball and is good with his clearance work and positioning. Kicks mainly on the right side and his pace is reasonably good. Is good in traffic and his work rate is good. Needs to sharpen up on his kicking as he can miss targets by foot. Good player who knows where to run and how to find the pill.
Prediction – pick 10 to 30.

51) Melbourne – Mat DeBoer
Ball winning running machine that knows all about finding the footy. If Melbourne can sort out his kicking issues, decision making mainly, they will get a bargain at this pick.

chrsco:

Pick 43 - Matt deBoer, midfield, 186/8cm

Hard and tough at it midfielder who has tested very well in both sprints and endurance at the recent draft camp, he's not bad overhead and his kicking will need a bit of spit and polish but then he'll be the complete midfield package, if we can just get the kicks from helicopter to end over end :D. Seriously, a bit too much can be made of his kicking, it can be off but he's not terrible, he gut runs and finds a fair amount of the pill. Would think he'd be quite a good get down at this pick.

Quigley:

37. Fremantle
Freo needs to keep building depth back up in their midfield and I think they could do a lot worse than looking at DeBoer here. He has some issues with his kicking but he is a work horse and will win the ball and Freo definitely need more of those types of players.

Matthew DeBoer (DOB – 10/3/90, Ht – 187, Wt – 85)

Another whose draft position is very difficult to predict because there is a lot to like but he has one massive hole in his game that is going to see a lot of teams steer clear of him early. The hole is his kicking which at its currently level makes him a liability on the field at AFL level. In a high possession era, being able to hit a target is essential and there are a lot of talented players sitting at the bottom of team lists or out of the AFL because their kicking is substandard. That being said though it only takes one team to value the strengths in his game and think they can fix his kicking and he could go fairly high. DeBoer has a nose for the ball and if there is one thing you can safely rely on if you take him it is that he will find the ball. He has been playing senior football in the WAFL for a lot of the year and has averaged over 17 possessions a game. Coming into the last game of the Champs against Vic Metro DeBoer had clearly been the best player for WA and was getting a lot of ball. Against Vic Metro though he went missing and this might also hurt his case come draft day – will he struggle when he has less time and space? He is a good runner who gets to space well. In the contest he has good quick hands and a good awareness of what is going on around him. He has nice height for a midfielder and is dangerous in the marking contest. He is a very enticing combination of speed (9th in the 20m sprint at Camp with 2.92 and 2nd in the repeat sprint with 24.97) and endurance (8th in the 3km with 10.53) and those types of players are pretty rare especially ones who can actually play. As mentioned if he fixes his kicking he could turn out to be an absolute steal.

Tim Clarke:
Matthew DeBoer Age 18
Hgt 187
Wgt 85

Team: Claremont/Swanbourne JFC

Medium Midfielder who is strong overhead and a prolific ball winner ranked second in the Championships for disposals (Total 100 - Av 20) and has a good balance between contested (Av 7 per game) and uncontested (Av 13 per game). Runs hard for his team and is courageous in his attack on the ball.

Champion Data Ranking Average Points: 117.86

My write-up
DeBoer is a good chance vs most rookies of making the grade ... his kicking is his fatal flaw and if he could improve it closer to average he's definite AFL material ... his potential is a solid workhorse midfielder / tagger like Daniel Cross.

+

All-round athleticism = excellent ... very nice speed / endurance combo
Excellent ethic / workrate (runs hard both ways and follows up efforts) and courage (backs into traffic to take grabs and sticks his head over the footy at all times)
Clean hands
Ball reading ability at stop plays
Massive ball magnet ... links up around the ground
Good vision and ball use by hand
Solid tackler
Has a season of WAFL form behind him
Leadership skills

-

Kicking is sus' ... gets no power or penetration and kicks are very easy to defend ... hang in the air
Rarely kicks goals

Articles:

http://www.thewest.com.au/default.aspx?MenuID=210&ContentID=110817
http://www.afl.com.au/News/NEWSARTICLE/tabid/208/Default.aspx?newsId=70785

2008 Draft Camp Results:

186.7cm (45%)
83.0kg (51%)
42.1mm skinfolds (86%)
23.0cm handspan (55%)
79.7cm arm length (17%)
64cm SVJ (69%)
71cm RVJ (55%) 70cm LVJ (19%)
1.02s 5m (87%) 1.74s 10m (80%) 2.92s 20m (85%)
13.7 beep test (62%)
24.97s repeat sprint (98%)
10:53 3km (83%)

Statistics:

http://www.sportingpulse.com/team_i...S&pID=186147496&client=1-2393-0-64429-4320169

No one is talking about my boy, so I'll go on record as saying future vice captain of our mighty club? Any bites?????;)

Was hoping for Cockie (got him:thumbsu:) and DeBoer in rookie draft. Freo gets DeBoer - so be it. Like all draftees, needs work in a particular area (kicking) but looks fantastic.
Eagles took Liam Bedford (Geelong delisting) instead.
I trust the WCE recruiting department..... but gee, was miffed on the day.
Bedford maybe what we need down back now we have enough midfielders to sink a battleship!

**** ME **** ME **** ME.

Holy ****.

This kids kicking has improved something chronic.

Cannot believe it.

Freakin gun. :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Played pretty well tonight. I think you guys are onto a winner here. I was abit of a fan of his around draft time, and thought if his kicking could be improved abit then he would become a really useful player. Looks like that could wind up being the case. Still cant beleive he wasnt taken initially in the National Draft!

I realise the answer is probably "how long is a piece of string" but does anybody know how long it takes to recover from a hot spot.

Paul depending on the area and the extent of the 'spot'. Some times its just a light reaction and a few weeks then a graded return to loading. It can take upto 3-4months with respect to the lumbar spine (stress fractures) with the young guys if you really want to sort it.

Matthew Deboer was solid in the 13 point loss to East Fremantle in the WAFL ,
9 kicks. 10 handballs,4 marks, 2 Frees for and 3 inside fifty.
Not named in the best players, and don't know how his skills were.

Round 5 Claremont vs South Fremantle

K: 6 H: 7 M:5 i50:1

Doesn't look too impressive on paper, but looked good on saturday. Runs like the wind, takes the game on, good footy brain, hits targets.:thumbsu:

Perhaps a debut this weekend?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back